Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lighter is better????!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys its me again...

I have just about decided on what atv to buy. Remember my post? Grizz or SP? Well it seems to me that sometimes heavier is better on an atv!! Im talking from experience here, my traxter xt is 785 lbs!! And let me tell you that is built like a tank! And it also happens that I love tanks. The important thing is it doesnt drive like one you only ride it like one!!! hahahaha (brick on wheels). So, heavier to me means better built, more durable parts (e.g. plastic skid plate???!!! come on!! my son's electric quad has it!!! Steel is the way to go!) So heavier is better, just look at the quality of frame and parts on the new Sp700!
Take a look at the comparisons of parts of the competitors atv's in the SP700 website!
New engine technology? = new problems that can arise! So IM GETTING MY SP700 IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS! Late Christmas gift for me!!

Just one question... what happend to the leaking problem from the water pump? Is it fixed yet? What manufacturing date do I have to look for? Please help me here.

And you Yamaha's guys please dont tell me the Grizz is perfect!! To me perfect would mean no problem with: clancking noise in the front differential, no pulling out on the left front wheel and separating it from the differential hub! No "drawning" in water, No engine faultering when passing water puddles at regular speed because the angle the engine has, no vibration when going at speed on 4x4 mode, etc. Ive read more about glitches or problems on the Grizzly than on the SP700. And like everybody here says: "Its my very humble opinion"

Thanx to all for all the useful comments, and wish you all the very best!!

Ricardo D.
Monterrey, Mexico

Old 12-25-2001, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

rduran~

By all means, the Grizz isn't perfect, nor is the SP700. You can find as many problems on the SP700 that riders have had as the Grizz 660. I know. I have a list. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] What's important is that you've got the quad that you want! Good luck, have fun and for gods sake be careful! (Too many people jump on a SP700 or Grizz 660 and don't realize the power and end up having terrible accidents...these are crotch rockets for the utility riders. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img])

SilverBear

Old 12-26-2001, 04:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

rduran,
I hope you have the best of times with your new purchase.

Sincerly,
Bill

Old 12-26-2001, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

The more a machine weighs, the more stress there is going to be on the drivetrain. So it seems like the heavier weight of the stronger parts are wasted as they have to carry heavier loads and endure more stress than lighter machines. For pure utility use, a heavy quad will probably hook up better and pull more than a lighter atv that will just spin it's tires.

JaMeS