Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

first problem solved, now onto another :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I took everything apart on the left side and found out that the belt housing breather type deal was not connected to each other, leading me to thing thats where it let the water in. Then i replaced the bad seal, and everything ran smoothly. Thanks guys

Now onto a more major problem. It seemed like right after i got done riding it and making sure it ran properly, i noticed something else dripping, and it was bluish greenish. So sure enough my coolant was almost empty. Got any ideas where it could be leaking out of. I cant find and cracks in the hose, or in the plastic.

Geez hopefully this isnt just normal stuff, i worked on that machine for a good 3 and a half hours today, i went all throught the winch wires (cause it stopped pulling, would only realease) so i imagined one of the wires came undone. That took me a while but i got it worked out. Then also, i fixed one of the low beam headlights, those things sure are kinda odd.

Ohwell, i enjoy working on them, but i do like riding them a little bit better. Plus we are starting to get snow, so hopefully i can get this all worked out before then.

Oh, since it is only coolant, do you think i could run it in low temperatures and still be alright (with little or no coolant)

Thanks

Old 12-24-2001, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

"Oh, since it is only coolant, do you think i could run it in low temperatures and still be alright (with little or no coolant)"

Running it with no or low coolant will cost you a new engine.
FIX IT!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2001, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] thats what i was thinking, but by the time i caught it there was just about none left in there, so i wasnt sure.

Old 12-24-2001, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

derekhonda,

Did'nt you have a HONDA????? Maybe you should pick your chin up and GO BACK. Us Honda guys realize people make mistakes!

.................................................. ...............

2001 RANCHER S 4X4 W/ WARN #2000 AND 60" PLOW

Old 12-25-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um , time to shut up

Old 12-25-2001, 01:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Derekhonda,
this will be very difficult for the untrained eye to see,however,if you look to the very bottom of your waterpump housing,you'll see a very small weep hole.The anti freeze is most likely coming from here.This is NOT normal.Make sure to keep the plastic overflow tank full of the proper antifreeze until you get this problem fixed.

I took my 99 Sportsman into the dealership 3 times before I got so darn fed up,I inspected the problem myself and found out what the problem was.I took the quad back in and they finally repaired the job right that time.

I concider your problems to be normal Polaris everyday defects.Seems Polaris riders either get a good Polaris or a bad one.If you had the amount of problems I have had with my two Polaris ATVs,you'd also begin think the same way.Looks like your partway there now with your thinking?

Anyways,
I hope you the best and,
GOOD LUCK!

Bill

Old 12-25-2001, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

derekhonda, how you like those vampires, I have a 99xplor 400 and was thinking of getting the vamps also, how they ride on hard stuff? do they rub at all? also where did you buy them and how much? Last, can u get some pictures of your xplorer with the vamps? Thanks

Old 12-25-2001, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

One thing about it, If you let it run out of coolant, it won't leak anymore.

Old 12-25-2001, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I sometimes feel bad for the stuff you guys say on here about Polaris Dealer Service Department. I have never had a missed/not found problem happen to me on a Polaris. I am in the middle of one on a Yamaha though. It keeps leaking gas out the over flow but it has left my shop twice now without leaking. Now I have it sceduled in after Christmas for the third time, same thing. I guess I'll have to do it maybe this time.

My point here is that I have very few combacks or un-satisfied people and I work very hard to see it doesn't happen. Then I get on here and listen to so many "horror" stories about dealers. I don't mind so much that people on here complain about them. I hate the fact that their dealer didn't send away a satisfied customer after finding and fixing the problems.

derekhonda,

I have never had a two-stroke in with this problem yet so I don't think it is a "common" problem. I have done a few 500HO's. They aren't that bad of a job. One thing I would like to remind you about is making sure to keep the radiator venting from getting full of mud. A plug up radiator will not be able to cool the engine down. I see this every now and then with customer machines. I hate charging people to clean their radiator. I'm not saying this is your problem but I hope you check it every now and then.

Glad to help you guys out as much as I can.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Chris

Old 12-25-2001, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

elroy,
its very good to see that there are repair facilities like yours that make the customer #1.Around here,its real bad.You can drop your quad off on a Monday with a problem,it than goes into the dealership storage area,than in about 3 wks,they'll get to it.They usually dont have your parts in stock,that'll take another wk or so to get,than it takes about another week to replace the parts,thats IF your problem was diagnosed correctly.I got lucky and found a dealership mechanic that treats me like gold,so I've personally seen both sides of this bridge.

You keep up the good work.

Bill

Quick Reply: first problem solved, now onto another :(