Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

True 4-wheel drive??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only exploded CV joints I have ever seen or even heard about occured when in reverse, using 4-wd, trying to pull out someone who got stuck, instead of turning around and pulling them out using the rear hitch. It seems to happen especially if the steering gets turned clear to one side or the other, I think it is too big a strain at an odd angle.
Same goes for the driveshaft to the front differential.
As long as you were going forward, I have never seen one fail, but put a big load on the machine while in reverse...then you can have problems.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Bill is right. So far the SP700 is the only one that has gotten the new design front drive system.

No, I have never seen an exploded Polaris CV shaft(have seen the older rear u-joint style explode once). Nor have I heard of them having to replace any under warranty. In fact I just got my first Polaris CV shaft job in on Saturday and it is for the rear shafts. This is a 99 SP500. This thing has been thru hell and back, twice. Even the owner told me he can't believe it isn't in worse shape than it is. He is a very happy Polaris owner even though he has many other machines. I'll get his new shafts and bearings installed today.

My thoughts on the Polaris 4x4 system; I like it the most out of all the other systems. It does have its drawbacks but its still "my" favorite.

Old 12-26-2001, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Well I have seen a lot of broken front cv joints. I am a licensed mechanic and I own my own small engine shop where I service everything from small equipment to atv's and sleds too. About 2 years ago before opening up my own shop,I worked for my local polaris dealer for 3 months as the mechanic.The shop has only been established for 4 years now so the clientel isn't that big yet. In 3 months I worked there I replaced 4 front axle assys. Two in 500 sportsmans, one in a 500 magnum and one in a 425 expedition. You mean to tell me this is not a problem? All of the bikes were in good mechanical condition as well.Also sometimes the front hubs can mechanically engage even without using the all-wheeldrive switch. Yes the hub oil and bearing tightness can affect this too but it doesn't always cure it.I have a friend now that has a 2000 500 magnun and its on its already broken 1 right and 1 left front cv.He admits he drives it hard but isn't that what they're built for.I also went to a Polaris service school when I worked at the dealership and when the instructor asked the class if we had any questions I brought up this topic about cv joints. Well this was opening up a can of worms with the instructor.And the other dealers there too!!The instructor also told us that Polaris was having some "quality control" problems with some of their vendors.I didn't realise it at the time but about the only part of a polaris bike that they actually build is the frame. The rest is tendered out to different vendors.Basically whoever can produce the part the cheapest and make it work,gets the contract. Anyway after working at that shop for 3 months I quit cause I was tired of coming home each day and feeling like I was fighting a dying battle.Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I have seen it for myself....Yes I own a Polaris now myself but it is a 2 wheel drive 1995 that looks like new and i bought it for $1000 Canadian 2 months ago.Thats about $600 american dollars.How could I go wrong?

Also I challenge someone to explain to me if the system is so good why did they totally change the front end of the 700? Theres nothing wrong with a manufacturer improving they're product if it has flaws.Just dont try to tell me that they don't have a problem with the old system.

Old 12-26-2001, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sperky,
Im NOT telling you that the non 700cc Polaris 4x4 system[older,as you call it] does not have problems,it certainly does have some bugs.I do however,dispute your claim on HOW the CV joints are being busted up?You know,about the front wheels not engaging ''right away'' and therefore causing CV joint damage?CV joint damage dont happen the way you earlier explained it.If it does,you have given us readers no evidence to support your claim?

Bill

Old 12-26-2001, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

The rev limiter cuts the power to the front electromagnets if the RPM is too high to engage safely.When the AWD button is activated, if the speed is low enough, the power will be sent to the front electromagnets. All these magnets do is help the hubs engage by pulling the clutch sideways far enough for it to engage the hub.If one clutch doesn't pull sideways when its supposed too, the wheel will not engage right away.Then the when it does, its violent!!! I could go to the dealership and dig through their warranty bins and dig out the exploded joints . I could send them to you if thats enough proof.

Ps. its Sparky not Sperky

Old 12-26-2001, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont question if you have replaced exploded CV joints before,im certain you have.

I just question the way that you claim they are exploding?Since the front 1/2 shafts connect to the CV joints and they are CONSTANTLY spinning together,ANYTIME the rears wheels spin[regardless of speed]the front half shafts and the CVs are turning together at the SAME speed.Its not like the rear wheels are spinning without the front CVs turning also.

Excessive rear wheel slippage cannot be the cause of a CV joint to explode just because the front wheels have not engaged yet,and than all a sudden they do.All the axles and CVs turn at the SAME speed,regardless if the front wheels have kicked in.

Bill

Old 12-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Range Rover

Yes the front axles and cv joints are spinning the same speed as the rest of the drivetrain. The front wheels are freewheeling when the AWD is OFF.When a bike gets in a mudhole and starts to spin the rear wheels, the driver stops and turns on the AWD button.Then if one wheel engages right away and the other one doesn't,the other axle is spinning inside the hub because this wheel is not turning as fast as the other 3 spinning wheels.It can't spin as fast cause it hasnt engaged yet. Its just being pulled along by the other wheels.The electromagnet is engaged ,the clutch just doesn't respond quick enough.Then when the 4th wheel finally engages BANG.The cv joint is the weakest link.Does this make it easier to understand?

Old 12-26-2001, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I tell you what, I would rather have the ability to spin all 4 wheels and maybe, just maybe, sometime over the life of the quad have to replace a cv joint then to have one of the other quads where only 3 wheels spin all the time.

Pulled a few of them kind of bikes out with my little 250 explorer, aint nothin like the look on the face of a honda person after he gets pulled out by a lowly 250 polaris because he only had 3 wheels a spinnin and I had all four.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sparky,
A much better job.I now see your side of this.This situation could also put the hub in a bad spot to,since it could all a sudden ''catch'' to?

Bill

Old 12-27-2001, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

can we just clear one thing upp,... the clutch does not move when it becomes ingauged. the only thing that happens is that the ammature plate gets magnatized to coil(well, it doesn't even really touch the coil it self, ) but the plate gets pulled toward the coil, it rides on either the strut casting or the outer seal surface(cant remember which, but i think i rides on the outer seal surface) the plate is ALWAYS in contact with the seal surface and the clutch assembly, the only difference is that when is becomes magnatized there is alot more friction between the plate and the seal surface. If the plate does not have a .010" gap from the strut casting, the prpoer friction wont be achieve, creating the problem of one wheel not engauging. ( mine was at .030" and the clutch would not engauge at all) this is a really easy fix though, the seal surface is completely adjustable, just take a flat piece of wood and a hammer, and LIGHTLY tap it evenly into place.
Another problem is often with the plate itself, if it is not PERFECTLY flat, it will also create un-even friction, and not having the right fiction lets the plate turn easier, when the plate does not hold enough presure, the rollers on the clutch will not ride the ramp all the way and also cause the clutch not to engauge.
Hope this does not cufuse anyone to much, i dont have a manual for my quad, so i learned all this by figureing it out while playing with it for a couple day, and like i said, all my problem was, is that the surface was out of adjustment by .020"

Quick Reply: True 4-wheel drive??