Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother picked up the flame graphics at a polaris dealership in Dallas for me {not sure which one}. I think they were an option on the 01 scramblers because there was a pic of one in the polaris 2001 catalog that had flames like mine. Also , you get all of the other stickers , tank,fender,hood and all of the safety stickers with the flames. They were a gift from my brother, so I can't remember exactly what he paid for them, but i'm thinking like 80 bucks{?]..... that sounds expensive to me, but I did buy factory replacement graphics for my sons yamaha blaster at $40.00 a side!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 5004x4 and had nothing but troubles with it. Literaly every time I would ride it in the snow I would break the spring in one of the front hubs that disengages the 4wd. Between that and other problems I spent an average of $100 a month on repairs. Then I got a 400ex and spent abought the same on gas because I could not get off of it. I never once pute one doller into repairs on it. wish I still had it to go with my DS.

Old 12-31-2001, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

I love the ride,power,and options my 2k 500 scrambler4X4 has,but if I had to buy it again I would not. I ride two weeks,in shop three weeks.It is still the best sport/utility,not to many other options.
problems:steering post bushing,a-arm bushing,Piston,rims suck,chain and other misc. items

Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default Scrambler problems?

Have you had any problems with your sportsmans ? or scrambler ?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 500 Scrambler will treat you great if you dont run it in the ground and do the proper maintanance.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

I bought my scrambler 400 in May and the only porblems I've ever had is user error, and the steering bushing. Besides that they are great machines, repect them and they will haull *** for a long time.
mines a 2 stroke on the original piston and its almost seven years old.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
jim
Pro Rider

Hi guys, been a while since I've been here, on to other interests. I had mine new in 98 w/ the other old timers, Schultz, Cherico etc & still have it anyway, if you check my pics I ride it well beyond what it was intended. I ride it VERY hard. It's very modified & all my problems were w/ the mods as I went along. Like taking off the battery then the 4wd wouldn't work & things like that. I know after my model like in 2000 or so, they redesigned the rear swingarm so guys were breaking them. I jump mine constantly & no frame or any cracks of breaks of any kind but my other friends Honda 250R Suzuki LT250 etc, have all kinds of frame cracks. In modified state, lightened, widened, upgraded suspension & high HP it's unbeatable. I keep waiting for a new machine to come along & as of yet I still have seen nothing that comes close. If you check my very old posts, you can read my tales of the quad I beat but the fastest was the modified Banshee which I beat until he hit 6th gear & I'm topped out but he's still had another 20mph to gain. I didn't want to go over 75 anyway but getting there is VERY quick w/ 4wd. Very dependable. Good luck.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Old 11-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jim
Hi guys, been a while since I've been here, on to other interests. I had mine new in 98 w/ the other old timers, Schultz, Cherico etc & still have it anyway, if you check my pics I ride it well beyond what it was intended. I ride it VERY hard. It's very modified & all my problems were w/ the mods as I went along. Like taking off the battery then the 4wd wouldn't work & things like that. I know after my model like in 2000 or so, they redesigned the rear swingarm so guys were breaking them. I jump mine constantly & no frame or any cracks of breaks of any kind but my other friends Honda 250R Suzuki LT250 etc, have all kinds of frame cracks. In modified state, lightened, widened, upgraded suspension & high HP it's unbeatable. I keep waiting for a new machine to come along & as of yet I still have seen nothing that comes close. If you check my very old posts, you can read my tales of the quad I beat but the fastest was the modified Banshee which I beat until he hit 6th gear & I'm topped out but he's still had another 20mph to gain. I didn't want to go over 75 anyway but getting there is VERY quick w/ 4wd. Very dependable. Good luck.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler

Where you saying the newer scramblers have weaker swing arms ?

Old 11-17-2006, 04:32 PM
jim
Pro Rider

There was a brief period of time where there was swingarms breaking but then it was resolved in later years. That was my impression from the posts I used to read years ago. It stuck out in my mind since I knew how much abuse I put mine through w/o any problems. You'll have to check the archives for old posts about swing arm breakage I don't remember the exact years.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey jim what do you this of polaris utility models ? im was looking at teh 450 cause 500 efi is way to much for the pocket book. Heard the 450 motor was blue printed from the 500 ho and thats that same motor in your scrammy right ? i need alot of atv for cheap alot meaning a work horse, trail riding, fast, and reliable atv.

Quick Reply: Scrambler problems?