Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rejetting...what's involved and how hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious what all is involved with rejetting a carb for higher/lower altitudes as I'll soon be riding at much higher elevations in the Coborado rockies! Does it require parts? An adjustment? A skilled engineer to implement? Hopefully it's a snap and can be done quickly and easily....

Any help or advice on the matter would be great!

Wonder if the EFI system I've heard some talk about will be adaptable to the '02 SP 700...maybe that'd make things easier! Here's to hoping!

Old 12-29-2001, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I havent rejetted anything but I have had the jets out before to clean the carb. Once you have the carb off and the bowl removed, you simplely unscrew the old jet and screw in the new one. Its not a hard job at all.

Andy G

Old 12-30-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I've rejetted all of my machines to ride at altitude. I don't know about the Polaris's, but you may not have to take the carb all of the way off. This will save you from removing the linkage, vent hoses, etc. If you loosen the clamps on both ends of the carb, you may be able to rotate it enough to remove the float bowl. After that, it's just like Andy said, unscrew the old jet and screw in the new one.

Mark

Old 12-30-2001, 12:52 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rejetting a polaris isnt that hard just takes time.I rejetted mine today in about 30 min. i just pulled the air box took the clamps off turned the carb upside down pulled the bowl off and changed it.Then rode it awhile pulled the plug and made sure i wasnt too lean.

Old 12-30-2001, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool sounds like it's an easy job! I assume from your replys that I have to purchase a new jet for the specific altitude application. This would lead me to believe I can go to my Polaris dealer and tell them which altitude I want to adjust for and they can sell me the proper jet...correct?

This is a major issue for me after riding this afternoon at no more than 4500 ft...lotta bogging down and pretty darn gutless riding today. Started the ride (here) at somewhere around 4000 ft and the entire trip up my quad just ran worse and worse! I went up the topmost 4wd trail north or Timber cayon(lower right on topo map) and came down the 4wd just north of the canyon. For some reason I can't seem to figure out how to center on this particular sites maps... The elevation shown when searching for the Pryors comes up unknown but Billings comes up as 3124ft and I'm pretty sure the Pryors are a tad bit higher than Billings. Bridger (off to the upper left of map) sits at 3648ft and the road to the base goes up from there hence the guess of aprox 4000-4500ft. The elev lines doen't seem to be at all accurate and none of the peaks seem to have elev references...odd set of topos if you ask me...

Had a lot of backfires and lesser popping too...this was during the descent...this fairly normal? She's still on the trailer so i haven't run it down at this altitude (3100 ft or so) so I'm not sure how it'll run here yet. I'll be riding most of the day tomorrow so I'll be able to tell then and I'll post the results of that tom as well.

Guess i should stop typing and wait for some responses now!

Old 12-30-2001, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well figured the elev prob out...forgot to actually look at the map scale! Was at 1:100,000 on that first link...that's no good!

Here's the map at the right scale...1:25,000! Start(upper right area of this map) I parked right at the junction where the red 5 at the base of Bent Trail...4700ft or so. I ended up at the top here(lower left corner of this map). Aprox 7400-7500ft. I actually went up Bent Trail and came down the jeep trail that can be seen on the starting map.

Would going from 3100 ft elev to 7400 ft make my 700 run so much worse? If so then I guess rejetting is a must on most everybodys bikes out in the northwestern states! Most definately a must for Coborado riding at any rate! Guess I better get on this...

By the way, Cob, if you have a few min (oh and if you read htis msg!)could you please post the topos of the ride area in late July or even the GPS coordinates would be great too! Help me to see just where the ride will be at! Thanks in advance!

Old 12-31-2001, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

bytemedammit
topo maps of the ride can be found at atvn under general discussion, "maps for poopsies ride" dated 12/26
Hope this helps.......

irontime88