Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

System for rating members???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that people are a little confused about the rating system around here. For example... pro rider, trail blazer etc...

I would like to suggest a change to the administrators. Another site has chosen to adopt a new method of rating its memebers. The have the moderators and administarators nominate certain individuals that have demonstrated their knowledge of atvs and willingness to share their knowledge with others. These indiviuals are voted on buy the moderators and are given the title of respected member with different levels of respect (Gold or Silver) I think this is a better way of rating members. Rating memebrs solely on the number of post only encourages 12 year olds to make meaningless repetitive post. Giving a few respected members the designation of respected member lets others know that you know, at least to some extent, what you are talking about. There is alot of bogus advice given on these sights. Some advice can be costly to the recipient.

Tell me what you think.

Greg

Old 01-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Good idea. Maybe there could be 2 rating systems. One could be as it is, for the number of posts, and how about a 'star' rating for the individual. Whenever you reply to one of their posts, you could 'vote' on how helpful their post was. The ranking could be right there by your username and location.

I vote a 4 of 5 possible stars for this idea!

Who is with me (us?)

Old 01-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

We have tried the "star" rating system. The problem with that is that some opinions are unpopular. For example, you say drum brakes are the best... I say disk are better in some situations. You are aware that no Honda Utility that you own has disk and make the assumption that I am an idiot and you give me 1 star. While you are correct, I am an idiot, the problem is that this will occur over and over if everyone is allowed to rate you. That is why I suggested that only moderators and people that have proven themselves mature and open minded be allowed to vote on the nominees.

Greg

Old 01-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Greg and Farmr,

I agree totally with you both..........some sort of rating should be used, and it should be based on some other criteria other than solely on the number of posts. Some members such as you two, seem to be quite the handyman, and very competent to turn a wrench. Others seem to feel the need to post a response to everything, whether they have knowledge on the topic or not. I do wish for a rating system, to where even some messages could be locked earlier than what the moderator does now.....seeing that some posts get out of hand and into a pissing match.

Waylan

Old 01-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with Greg. Ratings should be determined by the moderators/administrators. I like the rating system in the other forum he spoke of.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im not real fond of the idea,especially when I personally have had problems with a past moderator.The problem here is even some MODERATORS are not real mature.I was once banned from this site a long time ago.I e-mailed the guy running this Forum[I forget his name?] and asked him to reveiw my post and see if he had seen any wrong doings?He did as I requested and agreed that the moderator had NO reason to ban me or delete my post.I was immediately reinstated.This has happened to me twice in this Forum.As you can see,this type of choosing would do me NO good for my ratings.If a moderator has it ''out for you'' OR disagrees with your opinion----,your surly not going to get a very good rating from him/her.

Maybe instead we could have a vote for a few folks that we would like to see do this ''rating'' stuff?

Sorry,but im not sold on the moderators doing this rating.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Quite honestly I dont remember a rating system with the old software? I've been here since 07/99, but they updated the software recently and added the rating system. It's kinda stupid if you ask mee, hell if I was bored and wanted to be a "Pro Rider" I'd start a post and reply to it all day untill I had the amount of posts needed.

I like the idea of being rated on your content. Hell if a guy makes 1000 posts, all asking questions and one guy anwsers them all in one post with good, verifiable information, who is the "Pro Rider"?

Old 01-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, i dont agree either, simple example, people from other "namless" (honda, caugh honda) forums who love to rag on polaris, may be a real help in the honda forum and get promoted and be able to vote on members, they would be able to come here and vote bad on us poor guys, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] , you can't make this system to complex because think of all the code they are gonna have to write, new cgi scripts, ASP, databases, ect. big pain, it has to be simple, yet fair and efficiant, somthing like, each time you make a new topic, or a post, there should be checkbox to choose weather you want it to be rated or not, and ive seen some good post number rating systems, where they use metals, perhaps we could use mods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ??? like after a certain amount of posts, you get to add an exhaust pipe, and it comes in under your icon? then tires, and parhaps you have an engine displancement number, and it starts at 200, and it goes up according to votes/posts? i think my system would work good if you guys helped refine it

Old 01-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with muddy,not that I'v had any problems with the mod's,but I have seen some all out bashing on this forum that went unchecked for some time.I couldent even tell you who the mods are around here,But I can tell you who gives good advice.
When I give advice,9.5 out of 10 times it's advice I got from someone on this forum,that worked for me with whatever situation I had.
When I ask for help(9 out of 10 post,thanks guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]),I read what everyone has to say and sort it out from there.And Yes I feel honored when some of you guys reply to a question that has probably been asked before,but you still take the time to answer it again.
I think everyone knows witch guys are the most help is around here,so you can give whatever titles you want

My mother always said you can learn something from an Idiot.....
not once did I hear her say ...mama dident raise no fool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...
hey wait a minute?????????????

Old 01-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

I know on some forums the moderators actually delete posts of a technical nature if they realize the poster is giving inaccurate advice or information.
I'm afraid that a rating system to identify people that should be listened to, or know what they're talking about, might be a difficult thing to establish though. What about someone new to the forum that might be quite knowledgable but "non rated". Would their advice be overlooked by someone just because they hadn't established a reputation on the forum yet?

I do think having the moderators assign a special rating to some knowledgable people might be a good idea, but I would hate to see advice be ignored soley on the basis that it didn't come from one of these people with a special "atv expert" rating.

The ratings on this forum are really misleading though and they would be better off just listing the number of posts a person has made under their name rather than classify them as a pro rider just because they've posted 200 times. I myself am over the limit to be labled a pro rider but for some reason I still show up as a trailblazer. Besides that I'm nowhere near a pro-rider anyway.
I don't really care what I'm called as long as I'm not called late for dinner.

Quick Reply: System for rating members???