Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris is history!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bermbanger,
I had a Scrambler once. It treated me well. But I got to a point where I felt like I "outgrew" the Polaris. I really didn't want to continue to mod the heck out of it either just to keep up. I bought a DS-650. Take 3TV's advice, the 'Bombs are awesome. Plus the Scrambler is big so a DS doesn't feel real huge. On the other hand my girls 400EX is more fun than my Scrambler was too, now that I look back on things. The 400 isn't as fast in a straight line, but you can ride it faster. Know what I mean?
It is super fun & easy to ride. We got hers for only $4,999 brand new.
Though once you feel the pull of the DS in 3rd gear & up you'll forget about the Scrambler. Trust me.
Plus the EX & DS have been trouble free. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 01-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Modifications dont allways decrease a quads reliability.Case in point,Polaris installs JUNK stock pads,I re-installed severe duty pads,my brake life is at least double.Its no secret that Polaris steering stems suck and allways wear out,I went with HPD and have had no problems since.Its also a known fact that Polaris tie-rod ends wear out very quickly,there are those that have also went aftermarket with TR ends and no longer have problems.Polaris chains and sprockets are of very poor quality,an aftermarket change has helped many.Stock Polaris 400cc pistons are of very poor quality and dont hold up,a change over to a Wiseco piston will correct this problem.There are NUMEROUS problems with past and present waterpump leaks on Polaris engines.Problems never seem to stop with a Polaris Utility ATV,at least this holds true for the two I've owned!

Its very unfair to blame BERMBANGERS problems on just his mods when it is SO appearant that Polaris does have some reliability issue's in MANY area's of their ATVs,far more than others.Since 1983,I've owned Kawisaki,Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha,and Polaris.Simple put,Polaris has the worst reliability record by far of ANY manufacturer out there.

Im with BERMBANGER,this will be MY last Polaris to!

Bill

Old 01-14-2002, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] It is too bad you are having problems with your quad. I owned a sport 400 "99", fastest bike i've ridden in a while. HPD pipe, silencer, jet kit, clutch kit, k&n filter. 80+ mph. when i installed pipe i was aware i was shortening the life of the motor. unless you rejet the machine, no matter what manufacturers say, you will damage motor. i went from a 23 main to a 27 main, and turned up oiler so i wouldn't burn it up. Other than that i didn't touch the machine and i guarantee it was abused. i also owned a "00" magnum 325. Never touched this machine. it went down a 75 foot hill at finger lakes. straightened the handle bars and rode for eight hours after. I have had kawasaki, honda, and polaris, polaris stood up better than the others. now i have a "00" sportsman 500. love it!

Old 01-14-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Bermbanger,

When your out looking for a new quad, check out the Cannondales. I just picked up an 02 Speed Saturday and it is amazing. Can't speek for reliability yet, but the handling is great and it is probably the fastest stock quad on the market.

I also have 3 Polaris that I've had no problems with, the one I ride, or rode, is a 99 Scrambler 500 with HPD pipe and clutch, K&N filter and jets and ITP wheels with holeshots. I'll probably trade the Scrambler in on a Sportsman soon as I think it is too extreme for any of the other 3 riders in the house.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

here's my two cents. Scramblers are good machines, but don't let the racy platic fool you, it ain't a banshee. Why not either
a) buy a Raptor, it will stand up better
b) buy a DS650, for the same reason
c) buy a 400ex and spend the money you saved on more mods

Stay away from 2 strokes if you don't want to work on it all the time

Old 01-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

a: Four strokes cannot develop the power a two stroke can
b: blow a four stroke and mortgage your house
c: refer to a.

while you are searching for the right gear on other bikes, you are climbing the hill or digging your way out of mud. The other machines you listed are great if you want to spend a lot of money, but what if you want a machine that you don't have to worry about shifting while pulling a hill 75 feet up.
all companies make lemons, maybe you got one. I had two until they got stolen. Now I have one and love it. It does everything I ask it to. I have a friend that has a banshee(ported,polished, bored .030, rad valves, k&n, jetted out, fmf exhaust). He rode my sport 400L(hpd pipe, silencer, jet kit, clutch kit, k&n), said he would never ride it again. It would out accelerate his banshee until about 50 or so. So not all polaris sport bikes are pos. You just got a bad one.

Old 01-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

I have an older Scrambler 4x4, 1995, and have stuck a lot of cash into it. Probably more than "AZ400L"! The motor has been re-built not once but twice! First time was a week after I bought it (used). Someone tried to modify it and didn't put in a seal right. The dealer that I got it from did the 30 day warrenty work on it. Come to find out, he didn't do anything but a really bad hone job. So technically it was only rebuilt once. At that time I did her up from top to bottom, new bearings, counter balencer shaft, piston, rings, rod the hold 9 yards. The biggest bitch, and really only one against polaris, is the fact that their hubs always leak. Give it 2 weeks after replacing the crappy o rings, and they leak again. Now they are using allen screws to hold the caps on!!!! Right on!! When my Scrambler was stock, it still beat a 400EX, now it's dust in the wind. Go to a 4 stroke, and rebuild that motor! Twice the cost!! Good luck with your water pump, not too hard to replace, but be sure that the counter balancer shaft isn't snaped. If you didn't maintain the oil, it will rust the bearings and snap the shaft.

Old 01-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

A 4 stroke will cost twice as much to rebuild but will last 4 times as long. Do the math and it will all come clear. As far as a 4 stroke not making the power of the polaris have you ever ridden a ds or raptor? Anyway I think Polaris makes a good machine but I dont agree with the 4 stroke bashing.

Old 01-18-2002, 01:37 PM
jim
Pro Rider

I had the same problem w/ my water pump which was the result of stupid factory routing of the thin, plastic vent hose comming out of the case on the right side. From the factory it's too short so it's low on the quad & it acts like a vacume, sucking in air. If there is water it will suck it into you c-balance oil & rust the shaft & take out the water pump etc. The fix was just run a longer vent hose up high in the handle bar steering stem or somewhere protected after the very costly repair. Once I put mine down inside the steering stem I never had another problem. I never checked the c-balance oil but I should have byt didn't I needed to on a brand new machine, at the time. It took about a year of sucking water to rust the shaft I think. If it's milky colored then waters getting in. Also my anifreeze was getting lower since it was also leaking out the water pump weep hole on the bottom of the engine. Polaris should have made the hose longer or routed it higher. Mods had nothing to do w/ my problems then & it's been very reliable ever since.
Jim Maloney 98 400 Scrambler
http://photos.yahoo.com/jim400scram

Old 01-18-2002, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

i got the water pump fixed seems that the water seal was put in crooked from the factory the opening was egg shaped when i got the housing off it almost ruined the shaft i took embry cloth too it and smoothed it out it is doing fine now no leaks so far.

Quick Reply: polaris is history!