Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Advice regarding Sidewinder Chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back last July, with my Xplorer 400 having a little over a year on the original chain and sprockets, I was having to adjust my chain fairly often. I got to looking for possible culprits, and noticed that several o-rings were missing on my stock chain. I attribute this to riding in sand one weekend, where I had buried my quad to the frame a couple times. I believe this ate away at the o-rings, and made several disintigrate and fall off.

I am the type of person to always try to improve anything that may wear out on my bike, and decided to drop the extra cash and go with the best chain and sprockets offered. After some research, I felt that Sidewinder was my best option. I called, and although there were no promises, the salesman, John, stated that on average I should expect 3 to 4 times the life out of their best setup. This made me happy........if stock equipment lasted a year, this sidewinder stuff should last me 3 to 4 years, is what I thought.

Well, to cut to the chase, I spent $300 on the chain and sprockets, plus a few more $ on their preferred lube. I have had their equipment on my bike since the beginning of July, 2001. I lubed the chain between every ride, and always kept it adjusted. Well, last weekend, I noticed a popping sound, so I got off and lubed it up real good. The popping went away and I was back to riding. On the way back to the truck, it started making very loud noises, and upon inspection, I noticed that 3 rollers were missing. I parked it, rode back with a buddy, and brought my truck to pick the bike up. When I got home, I removed the chain, and replaced the bad section with the surplus of links that came with my chain. Upon removing the front sprocket, I noticed substantial wear (about the same as my stocker with 1 year on it), and a tooth missing. Maybe the missing tooth began trashing rollers......I'm not sure. I put the stock sprocket back on with the patched together chain, and gave John at Sidewinder a call. I had read muddy4life's similar situation, so I expected the same attitude with my problems, and that's what I got. He made no offer to replace anything, except to replace the worn items (front sprocket and chain) at his cost, which was $25 for the sprocket, and $75 for the chain. Instead of getting into a heated debate, I just left it at that. I did not take him up on his offer. Instead, I ordered a DID X-ring chain from dennis kirk for $70, and will replace my front sprocket with OEM equipment, which will run about $25.

Although sidewinder may be the way to go for motorcycles or atv's not operated in harsh environments (read: water & mud), it is definitely not the way for me to go. This is just a warning to any of you, who like me, desire the very best equipment on their quads...........

meangreenmachine has also been through this same experience, from what I've read, and has had good luck with DID X-ring chain.......last I heard. This is why I decided to go with DID. I got my DID chain in, and although it may be a different material composition, the side plates and links are thicker, and all else looks about the same.

Now don't get me wrong, as I'm not bashing Sidewinder........I just don't want to see anybody else spend $300 on a setup that will not last any longer than stock, if riding often in mud and water. By the way, the rear sprocket shows about the same amount of wear as the stock rear sprocket. My advice would be to go with stock sprockets, and DID X-ring chain. Hope this helps someone.

Waylan

Old 02-08-2002, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa, sorry for your misfortune. I too was a victim of sidewinder. They gave me the same speech of long lasting practically indestructible chains and sprockets. When my chain finally broke it put a nice sized hole in my tranny case. They do make some really nice chain lube if you like paying 15 bucks a can. I went with the did x-ring chain also. It has lasted over a year with no wear. Keep in mind my bike spends most of it's life broken down in my garage waiting on parts. They are great chains. As for the sprockets, I chose sprocket specialties steel sprockets. These things are extremely tough and are very cheap. I run the x-ring chain on both of my atc 250r's and haven't broken a chain yet. I believe the did is definitely a better chain than the piece of junk sidewinder. Also thanks for all your help on my stator setback a couple weeks ago. I got a new one and hooked it up. She fired right up as soon as i got it on there. Then all of a sudden after riding wheelies for about 30 minutes the starter somehow just fell off. It broke the 2 bolts that go through the starter to hold it together. So it looks like it's time for a new one. I have had nothing but bad luck with this machine so I kinda expected it.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

MGM,

Sorry to hear about your continuing misfortune.

I've got a question about the DID chain: Mine came with the clip-on type master link, and although I haven't installed it yet, I went ahead and tried to get one master link together. How do you press the side plate on? I've had this dilema before, and nothing seemed to be the answer. It's almost as if you have to have a special press-on tool. The sidewinder slipped on fairly easily. Thanks in advance. BTW, where do you order your sprockets from? Is there a place on the internet, or a local dealership? Thanks again.

Waylan

Old 02-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa, I used a punch and hammer to get the plate over it. I stick a piece of steel or something behind the chain to stop it. Then mushroom the heads to get it to stay. Those things are really a pain to use. I try not to use them because i always end up busting my nuckles in the process. Sprocket specialties has a website also. I believe it's sprocketspecialties.com. They have some cool colored sprockets on their site. I bought my sprockets from my dealership. The front sprocket was about 25 bucks and the rear was 45 bucks. Just make sure you buy the steel. Don't get the aluminum. They wear out in a few months.

Old 02-08-2002, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Walexa & MGM,

The master link does go on easier once the chain is used for a bit. My theory is that once the X rings compress for a while, they are slightly thinner the next time you have to put the master link on.

I ditto the sentiments about Sidewinder chain and sprockets. I don't know what it is, but they seem to work on every machine BUT Polaris. Sidewider is a very appropriate name for them, because that's what they act like AFTER YOU BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!

Old 02-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

MY MY MY,
seems like I was not the only one taking in by this idiot John.I called him last wk and acted like a new customer with a 00 Xplorer with a stock chain and sprockets.He gave me the ENTIRE same speech he gave you all on how much better and longer his SideWinder stuff would last.After listening to him,I finlly told him he was so full of Shi- and I really let him have it.I'd of socked the guy right in the face if I could of reached him from inside my phone[man was I pissed].I told him what a phony he and his SideWinder products are.I cant stand SALESMAN like that.His stuff did'nt even outlast my stock chains/sprockets.

I too,went with D.I.D. products.They cant be any worse?

Bill

Old 02-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I think that Bill should get a gold star for the day. I would have loved to hear him try to get give excuses about his junk he sells. You would think that he would try to fix the problem so he might be able to do more business. Instead the word is being sent out to stay away from them. Talk about customer service and satisfaction at it's worst. Even if the did chain lasted as long as the sidewinder, you could buy another one and still be ahead moneywise. Keep up the good work Bill.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Meangreen,
yah,you could say I pulled a fast one on this jerk John.He did'nt know how to handle me after I listened to his sales pitch and he found out I had allready bought his junk later on in our conversation.

Bill

Old 02-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have put Regina chains with OEM sprockets and I have no problem after 4 years. I use PJ1 chain lube.

Old 02-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the heads up!! I'm about due to get a chain and was looking into sidewinder
for one. I've heard one or two guys complain about sidewinder but didnt give it much thought...you know sometimes sh/t happens. With all i've heard Im going to stay away from that product line. So, you say that DID Xring is a good chain? I like good. If anyone else can give me a testamonial, please feel free to reply. Wont be long till sprockets are due to be replaced as well so, those ideas are needed to.

Quick Reply: Advice regarding Sidewinder Chain