Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

00' sp500 front end creaking noises making me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked the dealer to fix that da@#@$ noise twice now. once it seemed to go away but came back after only a few minuts of riding. the last time I didn't think they helped it much at all. If the front suspension moves at all it make these terrable creaking sounds that you can here even over the ids2 pipe and though my helmet. the bike only has 56hrs on it. and has been doing it for about the last 20hrs. does anyone have a good easy way to fix this problem and what caused it in the first place. my dad bought his sp500 at the same time and has 70 hrs on his but no noise from his. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2002, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer

My '98 SP did that too. And yes it drove me crazy too, couldn't find it. I did finally find out what it was. On mine anyway. At the top off the front springs there is a plate that sits up into the part of the frame that holds the top of the struts. There is a small gap between the two, on mine that is were the noise came from. I sprayed a good shot of WD-40 up there with the red hose that came with the can. that took care of it for quit a while.

Dave[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2002, 06:30 AM
Range Rover

He is right the portion of the mcpherson strut that contacts the upper mount is where your noise comes from.
Try this:
Support the front of the machine (front tires off the ground) getcha a can of white lithium grease with the red directional tube (just like wd-40) spray into the gap between the spring and the support. It should fix it for a while.

Kuntry
00 SP 500
ETC........

Old 02-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

I have had the same problem, and believe it stems from riding in mud. The mud gets in this area and makes the aweful noise you describe when it dries. I always make sure I spray this area clean with high pressure, and lube it with Polaris chain lube with the directional tube the others have described. I spray it below and above the frame mount, as there are plastic bushings in both places. I spray before every mud ride, because you're right........it will drive you crazy. It also does it when steering. I've tried everything from wd40 to graphite lock lube. I've even disassembled it and put some good grease in there, but everything washes out after a ride or two. That's why it's a good idea to clean real good with water to remove as much as possible, and lube it up. I also found the Honda chain lube to work great. You can get either of these chain lubes in small enough cans to pack along, as sometimes it may start up in the middle of the ride. Oh yeah, your dad probably doesn't mud as much, and that's why his isn't making the noise. I might be wrong.....just guessing.

Waylan

Old 02-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

There is a nylon dome in the pivot atop the strut that makes this noise. If you smear some dielectric grease (spark plug) on this ball it should remain quiet for a long time.