Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scramblers and EBS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am selling my 325 Magnum to buy a faster sportier machine. Narrowed it down to two bikes. Scrambler500 OR a 400ex. The hills on the trails here can get extreme, and I don't like freewheel coming down a hill that is already white nuckle. So My ? is for Scrammy owners and ebs owners. How would EBS affect the Scrammy's performance, and for the EBS owners, are you happy with the way the EBS works on your bikes?

For the riding I do most I don't need or want 4wd. Will the scrambler 2wd out perform the 400ex on the tight woods technical trails. Or is the only advantage in the 4wd?

Old 02-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Somebody out there must have some input.

I really need some feedback on ebs, nobody I ride with has ebs on thier bike so I don't have the benifit of trying it out on hills. If you have it and dont like it please tell me what disadvantages there are.
What effect does it have on clutching?

Old 02-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Hey live a little. I like the challenge of going down steep hills.You can change secondary springs to help slow down the back shift too.Thats what i did and it is a little better.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

That is what I did on my Magnum too. But some times it is still pretty harry. The clay here gets really slick and once you start to slide, the pucker factor goes off the scale.(There are wrinkles in my seat)
I was just thinking with the ebs it would help on the down hills. I know that most folks don't care for it on flat land, but if you keep a little throttle as you decelerate, won't it keep the ebs from engaging?

Old 02-19-2002, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have much experience with Polaris EBS, but I know you will either like it or hate it. But since you aren't looking at a 4x4 quad there isn't much to dislike, since most people who hate it are those who own Sportsmans because of the lack of 4 wheel EBS. But you obviously won't fall into that category.

I know one advantage of the Scrambler over the 400ex is ground clearance. The Scram definately beats it there. If you are looking to hit alot of jumps, then go with the 400ex. If you want the better trail quad of the two, my opinion is to definately go with the Scrambler. For the trails, the higher ground clearance of the Scram can be an advantage, and adding 4x4 is a even greater advantage. While the 2x4 is a lighter quad, it still isn't light enough to hit alot of jumps. So, in my opinion, it all comes down to whether you want more of a trail quad, or a Sport quad.

I hope I helped somehow.

Old 02-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Offrder,
Yes you were helpful, thank you. I aint much into jumping but I am sure it will get air from time to time. Not more than 2 or 3 vertical feet, and not on a regular basis.
Pretty much poker runs, and woods trails. A freind of mine has a track wher we ride when there arent any poker runs, or dont have the time to haul the bikes to the orv parks. It really is a hard desicion between the scrammy and the 400.
The engine breaking of the manual would be nice, but I don't really miss shifting either. Weight is not as much of a factor since I am already loosing near 150 pounds and gaining so much power.
Thaks again for the relpy.