Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Monster Mud Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DW Mags did a mud shootout with the 700, 660, 650K, 650Q and Highlifters 550 Rubi. Highlifter put on 28" outlaws on each atv with some engine mods on a couple of them (660 and Kawi 650) and put them threw the nastiest mud out there. And before you say DW testers arn't very good, they also used the big boys from H.L.

Catorgories
Ground Clearence
SP700 front 14 1/2" rear 15 3/8"
Griz f 14 1/2" r 13 3/8"
Quest f 13" r 9 3/8"
Kawi & Rubi 12 5/8 r 9 1/4"

Low range power
1 Kawi
2 Griz
3 Rubi
4 Quest
5 Sp700
They said the 700 engagment was to high, but once it kick in, it won the mid-high end power

Mid-top end power
1 Sp700
2 Griz
3 Kawi
4 Quest
5 Rubi

Fr wheel drive system
1 Sp700
2 Griz
3 Kawi
4 Rubi
5 Quest
The testers felt the on-demand system worked the best.

Transmission
1 Rubi
2 Sp700
3 Kawi
4 Quest
5 Griz
This test was more water proof then how the tranny worked.

Handling
1 Griz
2 sp700
3 Kawi
4 Rubi
5 Quest

Suspension
1 Sp700
2 Griz
3 Rubi
4 Kawi
5 Quest

Overall winner
SP700. They said it had shown it has what it takes to make it stand apart from some of the toughest compitition seen in the 4x4 world. It has beaucoup horsepower and torque. It handles extremly well and is very perdictable and has one of the best suspensions ever made for riding in the mud and trail. Sounds like it was fun.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

I also have a subscription. It's nice to get the DW mag before all those newstand buyers get it.

I wonder if this dirt wheels shoot out will get all blown out of porportion. That Raptor pipe shoot out sure was. I also bet that alot of Kawi riders will get real defensive. It amazes me that some of them even think that their straight axle machines can do as well or even better than the IRS machines in the mud.

Glad to see that the ATV of the year(occording to another mag.) was voted best at something. Maybe that other magazine really did know what they were talking about.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That was a good article, but they should have talked more about the actual riding. It would have been interesting to see what all they did. Plus, they ran drags and didn't even tell the times or results. Thats dumb. It ended about how I figured it would. The Sportsman has low end power, I guess they were penalizing it on the tranny hooking up or something. I couldn't figure out why it ranked last there unless that was it.

Still, pretty good test. Also knocked the high and mighty Prairie down a few notches, and once again proves the advantages of IRS. Why everyone forgot about that when the 650 came out I don't know.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not surprised by the results. I'm more surprised that this topic hasn't taken off like a rocketship. I figured for sure it would have 20 replies in 1 day's time, possibly even more. The only bad thing about the article is it makes me want an sp700 that much more.

Waylan

Old 02-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Guess Ill have to give the 700 a closer look!

And to think I was considering trying a different brand.

Time will tell...

Old 02-22-2002, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

If you are thinking of giving the 700 another look, I would highly reccomend it. To be honest, I would take an HO over any of the bikes in the competition if mudding is what you are into. The 500HO will easily outmud any of the bikes with the exception of the 700. I know some people will say the 660 will beat it, but the 660 has issues that the 500 does not. The 500 is much more water proof and you do not have the problem with the boiling gas in the summer. Also, the 500 does not spit and sputter in water. The 660 is only slightly fast in the 100 yard drag, but if that is what you are into, you might want to consider the 650 Kawasaki. It is, by far, the sportiest of the bunch. It is not mentioned in the article, but I talked to people that were there, and the Highlifter 500 Big Dog did as good or better than any of the other bieks in the mud. I want a 700 but I think I am going to wait untill the 2003s come out. Even if I were going to buy a HO, I would wait a couple of months also. There are changes coming to it too.

Old 02-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Greg,

When you mention changes, what are you referring to? IMO, Polaris should simply put the 500HO engine in the sp700 chassis. This would make it very desirable to me. The changes would be the larger radiator & fan, better routed PVT exhaust, inline shifting, newer designed front gearbox, higher winch mounting, easy-access radiator cleaning, higher amp battery & charging system, improved rear brake setup, better VDO guage, etc. Basically the only difference would be the engine. Do you think Polaris will do this, or do you have inside info? I like the Prarie 650's performance, but I ride with a couple, and it has become too much of an electronic-oriented quad. If it becomes dunked, both electrical servos (engine braking and 4wd engagement) can be ruined quickly, and they are almost impossible to get running after a dunking. I know because I've seen it happen. The sp500 I had got dunked completely once, and I had it running in about 10 minutes. Removed spark plug and blew water out from the cylinder, and then drained the carb and airbox. Water got in the oil, but I don't think any damage was done driving it just back to the house. It sure beat having to be towed back to the house.

Waylan

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

As far as most of the changes you have mentioned, I think eventually, they all will happen. But, I have been told by someone that works for Polaris to expect cahnges soon to the tranny exhaust and the front end. I was told it will be a simialr setup to the 700 in the next few months... well that is not true... i was told by Late feb - March timeframe, but I have not heard of any changes yet.

Old 02-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

According to ATV Magazine's shootout of the big bores, the 700 has less HP than the Bomb. Quest, and the 650 Praire, it also came in 4th in the acceleration test. It came in second in the sled pull. It is also more expensive than all the others. It also fell behind the Rubicon in test riding with weight on the racks.

They went on to claim it the overall winner somehow, then named it ATV of the year. Something stinks in Denmark, if you ask me.

Old 02-22-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

I hope to see the new 4WD set-up from the SP700 on ALL 4x4 quads. Less maintenance,no more wires, no more leaky hubs, and no more hubs dissengaging improperly...who wouldn't want this is crazy.

Quick Reply: Monster Mud Shootout