Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Keep the feed back comming on the 700!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far how well are these quads holding up???

Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Range Rover

No problems to date.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

Mine is holding up great! I recommend it to anyone wanting a tough utility quad.

MY PICS

Old 02-27-2002, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't had any in my shop, yet. I don't know of any parts we sold either. This leads me to think two things. One, they are not breaking and Two, maybe no one is riding them. I am thinking that they are just not breaking.

Old 02-27-2002, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

I've had a few problems but mine was #292 off the assembly line....

1. 10 amp circuit breaker on fan caused overheating - easy fix, just replaced the circuit breaker.

2. Leaky Waterpump cover - easy fix, just added Permatex to the stock o-ring.

3. Broken front CV joint - my fault, was trying to show off for some Hondas and Yamahas in a deep hole and got hung up. I tried to use the "Honda shake" method to get it out and got the "Polaris break" instead. Still an easy fix and none of the Hondas and Yamahas made it either and I still whipped them the rest of the day with 3wheel drive. I guess this is all kind of ironic considering my username - some of us had to learn the hard way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

4. Sputtering, backfiring, and shooting flames out of the exhaust pipe. Although fun to watch - not fun to ride. This one has me stumped and is currently in the shop now. I've cleaned the carb, fuel pump, etc, but I think the timing is retarding and not burning all the fuel before dumping it in the exhaust. The problem is intermittent and will usually quit for a short time just by stopping and restarting the engine. Since dropping it off at the shop, a similar problem has happened to a friend's 700 and it ended up being some electrical connection in the thumb throttle housing that was retarding the timing- sort of like a rev limiter if you pinned the throttle wide open.

Don't get me wrong, I love this bike and I would expect some problems from a new model especially after the torture I put them through!

Old 02-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the throttle cable safety switch.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

I love everything about my 700 I only have 70miles on it but then I hav eonly had it for about 12days now. I love the power. I went riding on the shoreline of White Bear Lake today and it really blasted the snow drifts with no problem. Im going on a rid ethis weekend with my ATV club and I should be able to give alot better of a report come monday.
Thanks

Old 02-28-2002, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

I love mine, everything has been great and have not had any problems!

Old 02-28-2002, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

Mine has not impressed me too much yet. So far:

1) Intake boot ripped leaving me without a quad all weekend up north. Dealer had this fixed pretty quick but unless Polaris has redesigned the intake boot won't it just do it again??

2) Leaky Waterpump cover. Dealer has yet to get parts in so I ended up having to rip my new quad apart and fix myself.

3) Never has liked to idle when cold. Gotta sit there and feather the thottle to keep it running until it warms up. Choke ON or OFF doesn't matter. Not a real problem but a pain in the butt.

4) Battery light will flash when idleing with lights on and the cooling fan kicks in. Could be just that the voltage sensor is a bit too sensitive as the battery hasn't died.

5) New problem yesterday. Went busting through some snow drifts and now it won't idle at all. Backfires and generally runs like crap. Suspect that steam from the melting snow got to the spark plugs but haven't had time to look at it yet. Will try tonight after it's had 24 hrs to dry out.

The quad has 550 miles on it. If anything, I OVER maintain it- just seems like there is always something going wrong on this machine. A friend has the new '02 Grizzy and has had no problems. He rides it hard and puts it away wet. I baby my 700 by comparison. Hope buying the 700 isn't going to turn in to a $7000 mistake!

Old 02-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

Mine has 60 miles on it. The only problems I have had are the fuel fittings leaking which the dealer re-sealed and everything is fine now. And I had the overflow tube leak due to the exhaust melting a hole in it. When the mechanics fixed the fuel fittings, they routed the overflow tube on the inboard side of the fuel lines next to the exhaust. I fixed it myself with new tubing and new routing. I also have a 2500lb winch and a 60 inch snow plow. The machine is unbelievable in the amount of snow it will push and go through. I live in Northern Michigan (Snow Belt area) and currently have around 3-4 ft of snow on the ground and the machine is unstopable. I also took the machine down state and rode in the Jackson area through swamps, woods, and fields. I also took it to a gravel pit with huge hills. On the largest hill I got thrown off the machine but was able to hang on with one hand, thumb on throttle pushing the machine over the top. What I am trying to say is that it is awsome and I would not buy anything else. Of course a new model will have its flaws, fortunately mine have been small and easy to fix. In my opinion, you should buy one...good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Keep the feed back comming on the 700!