Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Race Mods From Hot Seat. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 02:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends who went through HPD really liked the end result and they are also fast.I was not trying to step on toes.
We do alot of dune trips and a fair amount of back hill trips.
But my friends who went with the HPD kit had problems with overheating when rode hard,they had to make some minor adjustements.They also bought there roller clutch through HPD and had to,I believe,drill a hole or to to install.No big deal.there bikes run very good now.
But that was one reason I went with AAEN.That and the stage 4 kit(68 horses) runs on pump gas in the hot summer and I had no problems at all.I also have a block off plate and I mix at 40-1.Even though there kits are high compression they cannot beat me,we are close most of the time unless I get a better hole shot and then they can't catch up.
I have rode there bikes and cannot tell a difference.
So I guess what I'm saying is I like them both.I just think AAEN's was hastle free, easy to instal and I like the 68 ponies on pump gas.

Old 03-18-2002, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

dunemaster,

I do know that Aaen doesn't get the credit they deserve on a lot of issues. Olav is a darn good motor builder and has forgotten more stuff than I'll ever know. The same goes for Rick Ritter of RCR and the guys at HPD. I'm not so sure about Hot Seat though. Granted, I run several parts of theirs on my machine (cool head, front dual rate springs, etc..) and have never had a problem dealing with them (other than the swingarm), but it seems that they aren't very knowlagable and aren't as willing to give out help or advice as RCR, Aaen or HPD. If you call Rick on the phone, he'll drop what he's doing and go out of his way to find an answer for you.

Aaen kits are really sleepers in the Polaris world. I just wish everyone used coated pistons like RCR does. They do make a heck of a difference when starting up. Still, I have problems with boring out my quad to the point that the only way to refresh the motor is to put another big bore liner in it. Nothing against Aaen, and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but cylinder liners in addition to pistons, rings, wristpins, gaskets and labor are a little much for me just to refresh the top end. I do know that you don't have to run a tremendous compression ratio on his motor just to get performance out of it. However, boring a cylinder out makes a motor run slightly more towards the low end because the ports are sloped upwards and the larger you take a liner out, the more low end you'll get. This could be a good thing, because you aren't pushing the motor past 7000 RPM just to get peak power. Less RPMs, less wear and tear on the motor. Less wear and tear, less rebuilds. So I guess it evens out in the end.

Old 03-18-2002, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

a friend of mine who i have raced with for years had his scrambler 400 bored 60 and cant keep it from overheating so be careful how much you decide to bore

Old 03-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you talk with aaen you will find out that with the stage 4 kit (440) you can still go two piston sizes larger before resleaving your cylinder again.
And in all fairness ,it must have slipped my mind,But in getting your kit back you must do some relief work to keep the much larger piston from slapping off the lips in your case.
And again i'm not trying to step on toes,I'm just trying to offer some hopefully,useful information based on the experiences we have had.And i've never heard anyone talk about aaen's stage 4.
I think there are alot of good kits out there.And I have alot of respect for anyone who sucks it up, and shells some money out to make there machine alive. stock poaris's are fun,slight mods are a thrill,but a polaris with full mods is an absoltly breathe takeing ride on the edge.
ride on!!!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

dunemaster I think when you talk about the AAEN 440 kit, you should tell people that is actually only 418 cc, some people, myself included, thought that AAEN actually offered a 440 kit until I read the fine print so to speak.

Old 03-19-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think he ever said it was a 440CC kit, he just said stage 4 kit (440). I don't think you should call a stock 400 polaris a 400 then. I only want you to refer to it as a 378 cc Polaris, because we don't know unless we read the fine print.

Old 03-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

YOU MEAN POLARIS RIPED ME OFF
THEY CHEATED ME OUT OF 22 cc
SON OF A #$%@&

LOLLOLLOL VERY FUNNY

Old 03-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ronnnnnn,
I see somebody responded before I could get back on.I called Olav to make sure this is correct!
Polaris 400 is only 378cc's.The stage 4 440 kit is only 418cc's.the stage 4 kit has a piston that is 40cc's larger than stock,but if Olav simply said it was a 418 kit several people would think that this kit is only 18c's larger.So Olav explained to me since Polaris calls ther 378 a 400 he calls his 418 a 440 so people will know that this kit is 40cc's larger.
Olav also informed me that he will have a web site up and running in 6 weeks or less so people can look over the different products they offer ect.
For now you can e mail him at aaenperf@wi.net or call and speak to him at(262)552-8981

Old 03-19-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

dunemaster,

Keep us informed on the website. Did you see the 470 kit? That looks wild (and expensive). Someone said it only boosts the displacement up to about 440 to 450. Still, it looks serious.

Old 03-20-2002, 05:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mike,
No I have not seen the 470 kit yet, but aaen is sending me one of his new books.I know the stage 4 kit is a little more than hpd's kit last time I looked,but my bike always starts easy and I don't have to run race fuel and my bike rips.To me that is worth the extra money.that and if you ever have a question,olav is always happy to talk to you,instead of talking to a person who just works there!
Olav said when his site is up and running you can get there by searching under either (polaris power) or (aaen performance).Olav said if anyone has any questions call any time and he would be glad to talk to you
dune master