Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Race Mods From Hot Seat. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between the Trailblazer and a 250ex, but I want one that has a lot of mods. Could anyone help me out? Also, I know Hot Seat Preformance makes parts for Polaris, but do they make parts for any other brand? One final thing, where else would I find parts for a Polaris?

Old 03-13-2002, 12:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I started out with the Hot Seat setup. Then switched over to the HPD. Hot Seat hits hard mid and upper. HPD hits when you hit the throttle, and doesn't stop til your thumb hits the throttle stop. Have also had AAEN and FMF pipe/components....don't bother.(though the FMF silencers work)

Ken

Old 03-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Modquad what silencer would you recomend for the hpd nickle pipe? now that my 500 is gone i'm getting the scrambler x, and i need to know if i should get the hpd spark arrestor, fmf, ect. Thanks

Old 03-13-2002, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the FMF gnarly on my bike right now and I'm real happy with it.
My father-in-law bought the FTR pipe at the same time, the FTR pipe came on in a small area of the power band but then dropped off, it actually robed the bike of power. He went back to stock and is doing much better. Any suggestions why. By the way the FTR pipe is now for sale.
On the mods is it necessary to go with the higher Compression for the power or can I get good power and still run normal gas?

Old 03-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

HPD's race mod kit, and I assume HSP as well will require 110 or higher, either with the 14:1 or 15:1 dome. You can get a trail kit and go with 104, but compression is the name of the game.

On your issue with the FTR pipe, volume wise they are very close to HPD new race pipe. Basically it will fall flat on its face when used with anything less than a race mod motor due to its design. It's my belief that Mike Kelly stole the design, but had absolutly no idea of how to clutch it. Even then, his clutching suggestions were based on runs above 8000' elevation in UT. I run the FTR pipe, and asdie from a minor fit issue with the silencer, it screams!

Plus with all the plastic trimmed away it really looks god. The newer HPD race pipes are hydroformed, and look but ugly, even the chrome ones. I may be sacraficing 1-3HP with the FTR, over the HPD, but the asthetics of the FTR are worth it to me.

Old 03-13-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have the hotseat kit and it performs wonderfully. Awesome power and very reliable. All parts fit perfectly. You will find that many people always say what they have is the best, even though they really have no clue. From what I see, nobody that has replied has the kit, they just replied to try to get you to buy the same thing they have. Which I am very sure performs excellent as well. So to answer your question yes the hotseat kit is well worth the money. I would recommend the 60hp kit, you can use premium fuel, not race fuel. No matter what kit you buy HPD, HSP, or RCR, if your willing to spend that kind of money, your gonna have a bada$$ quad, be prepared to have a breath taking ride.

I would love to see someone do a comparison of all kits, it would sure make buying one a lot easier, maybe we should all send dirt wheels or atv sport letters to try and get them to do a shootout, now that would be great.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Jerry,

I'll have to dissagree w/ you on the race pipe falling flat on its face w/ anything other than the race mod. I have shotwell's porting (trail) w/ the addition of all the other goodies, running 93 and I've had the race pipe installed for about 1 1/2 months. It pulls harder than the trail pipe all the way around plus more top end. Not trying to start no junk, but just sharing my experience.

Are you getting out of quads entirely?

Be Good Man!

EC

Old 03-13-2002, 11:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

To answer the silencer Q, last year I removed the FMF turbine core II and replaced it with the HPD quiet silencer. Just purchased a digital DB meter. Once I get the kevlar pipe covers (HPD units good for 3 db reduction) I'll be breakin' in the meter. I need to adapt a USFS spark arrestor internally. The downspout really seems to help...a trick we used to use to quiet our drag cars down for street combat. I'll post the results using the Oregon 20" @ 45 degree angle, 1/2 throttle.

Ken

Old 03-18-2002, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98 400l sport.I asked alot of Questions before I did it and most everyone said go with AAEN.So I did.I bought the stage 4 kit.My bike is now a 440 and makes 68 horses.I also bought the roller clutch kit from aaen.My bike may be heavy like all polaris owners know,but now Bombardier,Raptor,400 ex's can only dream of catching up and Banshee owners have to spend some money to compete.
I have friends who went through HPD and have had problems with reliability.
AAEN answered any question I had,told me exactly what clutch set up I needed and ther products really work!

Old 03-18-2002, 02:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

My HPD full race mod is more reliable than most of my friends stock machines....not bragging, just complementing HPD. People have to keep on top of routine maintenance with how hard these machines are used (Don't anyone get defensive, I'm not picking on anyone). During the summer months when the quad gets used hard every weekend, I also run over it with a weekly (quick)maintenance check. As we do in aviation with pre-flights and post-flight inspections, this normally helps prevent mechanical probs....notice I said "normally". Sometimes initially after a bunch of mods there might be a period of working out some gremlins, that doesn't mean the mods are bad, just fine tuning them. I'll get off the soapbox now. JMO

Ken

Quick Reply: Race Mods From Hot Seat. Is it worth it?