Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you make a scrambler fly???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I was out playing in the woods this weekend and I've been becoming even more comfortable with the handling of my scrambler since I quit riding my xplorer 400 for recreation. I'm begining to like controlled air time, but the problem lies with as we all know..the weight of the mahcine and how to soften the blow of the landing. Just wonderin what you scrambler racers recomend for suspension mods...fox struts and HSP dual rate springs, or works shock and front struts...leave stock springs or replace? Pictures and advice would be great. I ride in an area where there are some nice practice mx tracks, And I would like to feel the thrill the boys do clearing a tabletop jump with out the rough landing. Thanks

---------
00 scrambler 400 4x4 K&N
98 xplorer 400 K&N, boysen reeds, clutch spring

Old 03-18-2002, 02:07 PM
KEP
Trailblazer

I have almost the same machine, a '99 instead of an '00. We are going to have to accept the fact that these quads are a compromise - not necessarily a bad one - but still a compromise. They will never be able to fly quite as well as a Banshee or Honda EX or Raptor, or that sort of quad because of the weight of the 4x4 on the front. But on the other hand, we can dig out of mud holes that they will be hopelessly stuck in.

I haven't changed my struts yet, but I think that is a good idea too. The stockers are stiff and uncompliant. But you hit the nail on the head - weight. You can convert it to premix to allow you to remove the oil tank, oil pump, hoses, cables, etc. I have heard that amounts to about 11 pounds. You'll need a new throttle cable if you remove the oil pump because just the carb spring by itself won't return the throttle. Also, get yourself a DG or similar aluminum front bumper. They are much lighter, better looking and work better than the originals. Also, I think all Scramblers have the aluminum wheels, but make sure. Steel ones are quite a bit heavier.

Old 03-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I went through a few catalogs once and figured out that you could realistically lose over 100LBS off a 2WD Scrambler. However, total cost fo the project came to over $1000, costing you nearly $10 per pound!

There are free/cheap things that can be done, but the parts that cost are high dollar, IE swingarm, chromolly axle, ect.

Among the things I've removed are:

cooling fan
oil injector/reservoir
floorboards
trimmed plastic
front brakes and machined struts/hubs
removed reverse gear/shift linkage
any and all guards (sprocket/brake)
cut off rear subframe supports
battery/starter and all related components
rear aux brake/mount and light light (nearly 5LBS there)
air box
OE hood (replace w/ SC500 hood)

Not much cost there, but things that did cost were

Wheels/tires
DG bumper
+3" swingarm
chromolly steering stem
race shave flywheel
pipe/silencer
custom rear brake set up

I could go on, butthe list is long. Witht he reduction in weight the suspension does perform better, but will still not handle as well as an EX or Raptor. I do mostlydune riding and would caution you in removing some of the materials I did if you plan do jump regulary.

Old 03-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard that the HOT SEAT Spring kit is a great upgrade. It will solve your stocker joint-splitting
landing problem. They are Variable rate springs with Adj. sleaves. I have heard nothing but good things about HSP Suspension.
Check it out at there web site. http://www.hotseatperformance.com/

As for weight I believe your Stock Bumper is already Aluminum on a 2000 400 4x4 Scrambler.
(Not aluminum on a 500 scrambler) So I don't think the after market bumper will save anything.
See if a magnet will stick, IF NOT STRIP PAINT AND POLISH.

Your wheels are not aluminum if they are factory, So a set of Aluminum wheels will save a considerable amount. (Only the MY2001 and up 400 scrambler 2x4 and new 2002 X series have a aluminum wheel from the Factory.

I am not a big fan of removing items to save weight. I bought a Scrambler because I likes the full floor
boards, Electric Start, Non PRE MIX Gas (OIL INJECTION) and 4x4.

IMHO if you are after a all out sport look at the DS650.

If you want a bike that can do EVERYTHING from Mud,to Hills and then to DUNES, YOU HAVE IT. IMHO ther is no ONE bike on the market that will do (THE EVERYTHING) as good as a SCRAMBLER.