Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Sportsman 500 and want to change the belt. Could someone tell me how to get it off the sheaves and to get the new one on?

Old 03-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jonesb....where is fairmont? Have you had your clutch cover off before?

Old 03-16-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the left footrest down to the frame support.

Remove the seat and plastic panel on the left side below the gas tank. Be watchful of the fuel shut-off.

Remove all bolts and clips that hold the outer clutch cover in place. Look underneath, there are 1 or 2 that are hard to see, and sometimes there are one or two spring clips holding the 2 halves together that are hard to see, also. Those can be easily pried off with a screwdriver.

When you start to wiggle the cover around, you will notice that boot that connects the vent tube on the outer cover with the snorkle that stays attatched to the frame is held on with zip ties. Cut one of these ties and slip the boot off one way or the other to get the cover free. Once the cover is free to move around, pull outward on the footrest, while wiggling around the cover. Eventually, you will find a position that allows you to get the cover clear out.

From here there are 2 techniques.

1) you can remove the bolt holding the rear pulley in place. The pulley should pull off the shaft, taking the belt with it. Replace the belt so the writing is right side up from the left side, when you are facing the engine. Thread it on the pulleys, and replace the rear pulley. Anti-sieze on the splines is never a bad idea. Don't lose any shims behind the pulley.

2) If you can't get the rear pulley off, put the tranny in hi, and lock the brake. Twist the rear pulley halves against each other. They will only go one way. When you figure out which way they twist, pry them apart. Working the belt deeper in the groove will keep them from snapping back together. Eventually, you will get the belt deep enough in the groove, that it can be worked over the front pulley. Replace the belt in reverse order.

Get an air hose, and blow ALL the belt dust out of everything you can. wiggle the pulleys where they slide, to be sure everything is still tight. If anything seems loose or rattles, have it checked out before you put it back together. It is a bad feeling to have something go bad that you could have caught in time had you only looked closer.

Everything goes back in reverse order of taking apart. It is all straightforward, and you shouldn't get screwed up. About the only difficulty is that some of the cover bolts are longer than others.

Good luck

Old 03-16-2002, 11:53 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

You can change the belt without removing anything. Squeeze the belt and slip it over the rear pully. do the opposite in installation.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

Weedy is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, weedy. Sounds easier than trying to get it over the front, like I have. That was the way I had to change it in my sled, so I just always did it that way. Always good to learn an easier way to do things.

Old 03-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. I got it on and it wasn't as bad as it looked.Weedy had the right idea. Once I got the back sheave spread a little I just rolled it off and the new one back on.
okiedude, Fairmont is a little dink-water town just SE of Enid. Is there any good trail riding in your area? I have been to Keystone, I cant remember the name of the place. It is an island when the lake is up.

Old 03-19-2002, 09:01 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Who's your daddy?

Old 03-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

jonesb, I am actually in Muskogee. We go down south almost every week. There are 13,000 acres that has trails ALL over it. Easy ones to ones that make you think twice. It is about an hour south of Muskogee. They dont get busy att all. We ride on the weekdays sometimes and never see anyone else. It would be a long trip for you, but well worth it if you like mountain trial riding.