Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got a new 2001 4x4 scrambler 500 when it is idling i hear a clanking noise on the right side of engine i only have about a half tank of gas through it right now will this noise go away when it is broke in or is there a problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2002, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

It might be the shifter rod rattling against the starter/engine. Mine was touching and only certain RPMs will cause a noise (idle mostly). I wired mine against the exhaust pipe to pull it away from the engine. Simply pull the shifter rod towards you from under the right front fender. If it stops rattling, that is the problem.

Old 03-17-2002, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

would that be down by the recoil that is where i hear it mostly

Old 03-17-2002, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]the shifter rod is not it i checked it sounds more internal

Old 03-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

I got my first ATV in January. It is a 500HO and I noticed right away the engine noise at an idle warmed up. I used a screw driver (really cheap mechanics stethoscope) to touch various points on the engine and had the handle on my ear. I pinpointed the noise to the overhead cam. I have listened to other 500's and it seems they all do it.

I also think the engine makes some weird sounds when you get on it hard as well but it is "normal".

Old 03-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine makes the same exact noise as well. It drive me crazy because it sounds like I don't put any oil in it. It only does it at idle, not any other RPM.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

If I were you i would have bought a honda[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

jollyrancher,

If he were you he would be a complete idiot who has nothing better to do than to make stupid pathetic comments with nothing to back it up!!

Old 03-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

On a more helpful note:

I have a 2000 Scrambler 500. The noise has been there at idle since day one. It has not gotten any worse or any better. It's just a characteristic of the motor. Do not feel bad just learn to live with it. General Motor vortec automotive engine's make a similar noise in their newer motors after 10,000 miles. GM just tells their customers to live with it. Some Kawasaki's automatics make a noise that resembles a helicopter. I've heard similar knocking noises from other makes and models. A friend of mine has a Scrambler 500 with 200 hours + on it and the noise has net gotten worse.

Old 03-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you want me to back it up I can! I was with him at a dealer and they told him that that noise shouldn't be there so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quick Reply: engine noise