Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How well can a Sportsman carry Two adult's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of our trips consist of couples going back to the cabin for a weekend...8 or 10 couples, 8 or 10 bikes.....some of the couples are on 3-wheelers....the trail is rough with hills, rocks and bog...we just ride carefully...and there has never been an accident...we have them when the men go for a ride without the women!!!....doubling upo is quite safe on a 4-wheeler....they're stable enough for that...i have a comfortable seat for the missus, and the problem is that she likes to drive so i spend too much time on the rear seat!!.....quite safe guys...unless you're a bumbling idiot and don't know and respect the limits of the bike.

Old 03-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

I wish we could ride double in Michigan, but you can't. I guess our government doesn't feel we are smart enough to drive different with two people. Granted, some people aren't, but those are usually the same ones who really shouldn't be riding at all anyway. Of course the manufactures wouldn't agree you should do this, then they would sell less quads.

Old 03-28-2002, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey GreatCanadian, where abouts is your cabin? I'm really hoping to move back to NFLD in a couple of years. Do you know where are the "good spots" for cabins around St.John's?

Old 03-28-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Even though i live in st. john's, i'm from central NF....i don't really know of the good spots for cabins in the st. john's area....we go to millertown at least 1 weekend a month....you can ride for miles and miles there....

Old 03-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont think as this as bragging(really stupid), but this past fall (deer season)I had me 300 lbs(little guy I know..6'4&quot my buddy....get ready....350 lbs (shut up) our two back packs and 2 deer on my 500 all at the same time. Before you ask, no I didnt break anything. We had to go about 1 mile down a hill to get to the truck. I am glad I bought a machine that could handle alot! Now the deer in Oklahoma dont get to be 300 lbs a piece, but they were both doe's and weighed about 100 lbs each.

Okie

Old 03-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Range Rover

I was always amazed that the manufacturers say it is so dangerous to ride two up. Like one of the previous posts said, I am much much less likely to have an accident when riding two up. Also, snowmobiles are legal to ride two up. Think about that. Riding a 100 HP+ machine sliding on ice and snow at speeds up to 100 MPH is legal, but riding your quad with rubber gripping tires at much lesser speeds is sooooo dangerous? Come on.....

Old 03-28-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

You know - I can sympathize with the manufacturers, given the lawyers who line up for a piece of them every time there is an accident. I can also appreciate the safety concerns after watching the 16 year old butt head with his girl friend on the back doing 50mph down the center line of the highway and drifting into oncoming traffic. I know that the 3 wheeler injury legacy left much to be concerned about. But dog-gone-it - Its not right that my wife and I can't ride 10 miles per hour down a groomed trail legally here in Minnesota. ( we do it anyways - what's the fine officer?)

I'm a part time commercial pilot - I fly both small commercial aircraft and my own personal "stunt" airshow type biplane. I'm often at one hell of a lot more risk or " in harms way" in the middle of a thunderstorm or iced up badly in some beat-up POS twin engine airplane flying night cargo or delivering 8 fishermen to their vacation spot then I am on my quad. Society accepts everyone being blasted into a black grease spot somewhere in the woods in a airplane but get caught riding 2-up on a 4 wheeler and the fury of the State is brought to bare to protect the innocent, save the children and appease the tree-hugging anti-motor sport, gyae, lesbian trans-gender tree huggers singing kumbaya around the woman's suffrage garden at the State capital.

When I started skydiving it was a giant stretch for me and my family. I had to sign away my and my heirs right to sue the drop zone, the parachute manufacture, the aircraft manufacture, the pilot and the city and the county before we were allowed to jump. Ok - we did that. Our responsibility, our decision. Frequently upheld by courts nation wide. We signed off. No whining. How come we can jump out of airplanes (600+ jumps including Boeing 727), put our lives and the lives of others on the line and yet be ticketed for riding 2 up on a quad because THAT is dangerous. LoL

Go figure.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

<< whodatindamud,
Are you by any chance a military man?
I would ride with you any day since I enjoy the slow rides and like your style (always ready).
Kris judging my your post I'm guessing you're somewhere between 15-18 years old.
>>

oh ur a genious im 17! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Look ive ridden double on plenty of quads, and have just as much ridin experience as prolly any of u.....an i understand u ride up rocky a** mountains and i can see as how u would have to go slow and averaging 12mph is a good speed for those kind of conditions.....fully understnad, guess i misunderstood somethin the 1st time.......peace

Old 03-29-2002, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing stiffer rear springs is deffinatly a must. My wife and I ride double with a Tarmac Trunck for both storeage and a back rest. It works great. We travel with a large group of people and last year we traveled 1300 miles and logged 155 hours. We have traveled mostly in Rocky Mountains in Utah, the Paiute Trail and trails in Yellowstone. Doubles great, no problems.

Our friends that ride double on their Sportsmans seam to loose about 4-5 inches of ground clearance as the rear tires &quot;squat&quot; with the second rider. A swing arm rear suspension handles the added weight much better than an independent does. Perhaps a Magnum instead of a Sportsman.

Happy riding

Specta
01 Rubicon

Old 03-30-2002, 07:34 AM
Trailblazer

Riding 2 up is fine as long as you realize the bike's new limitations and know when to tell the rider in back to get off. I was on a deer stand a few years ago, and watched a couple guys on an ATV going up a steep hill. Next thing I know the machine flips over on them. The 40 year old son was banged up some, but his 65 year old father, who was riding in back, had facial and scalp lacerations, a broken nose, and who knows what else. I've climbed that same hill many times with my ATV and never had a problem, but I would never attempt it with an extra 200 pounds over the rear wheels.

Quick Reply: How well can a Sportsman carry Two adult's?