Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Do the flat portable fuel paks fit Polaris composite racks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2000, 10:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about buying 2 of these made by Old West. Each holds about 3.5 gallons of fuel. They lay flat on the rack and held on by straps. I have e mailed the company 3 times asking if they will fit the new Polaris composite racks and have heard nothing from them. Has anyone used these and if so are they worth the $$ and do they fit? Thanks in advance. Pete

Old 02-24-2000, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen them tested on a Polaris Xpress 400. That machine did not have the rear rack extender like on a Sportsman 500. What machine do you ride?

Old 02-24-2000, 11:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply Rooster. I have a 99 Explorer 300 with the composite racks with a high extender on the rear rack and a smaller extender on the front rack.

Old 02-25-2000, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Never thought about the flat tank packs they make, but sometimes I just strap on a 5 gallon Wedco tank to the back, but never had to use it yet. I've got the mesh racks on my Sportsman, so I have no trouble carrying anything, got 6 36" straps to hold every thing down.

Old 02-25-2000, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

The Fuel Packs you’re talking about fit the front composite Polaris racks like they were made to go there. The only time I take mine off is when I’m emptying it or filling it. Otherwise it’s a permanent fixture there. Mine is on an RSE Sportsman so rather than have a big red tank on a camo bike I had my wife make a camo cover for it out of an old torn ATV cover. With the cover on you can’t use the Velcro straps that are supplied with it to hold it down but 4 bungees secure it there like it was part of the bike. I don’t have the rack extensions on mine.

We also have two of the Water Packs we use when we’re ATV camping, the exact same container except in white. They’re expensive but you’ll see why if you get one. They’re very well made and the manufacturer stands behind them without question. You can honestly run them over with a truck without damage.

Old 02-25-2000, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies guys. Floodrunner, do you think one will fit if you have the rack extenders? Does the fuel pak extend out from around the rack? There are holes in the rack you can see where the extenders bolt up thru. Hate to send for one of these and find they don!T fit down onto the rack.Is it easy to put gas into the tank without spillage?

Old 02-25-2000, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

To pete, I dont own one but I remember seeing one mounted on a sp500 front rack. Its in my distant memory so I could EASILY, be mistaken, but I thought it fit over or past the holes, so would be
a problem. It is going to be very close, I know that. You may just have to take the extender bar off. I have the short one in the front and taller one on the back of my quad also. What I did was, I
have a tammarack utility box mounted in the back as it fit perfectly inside the bars. Then I took an empty colemen fuel can and I keep that full of gas in the tamarrack utility box. One extra gallon, or 5 total gallons on the trail.

rangerchet, polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 02-25-2000, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

You’ll have to take the rack extender off to make it fit. The Fuel Pack is almost the exact length (side to side) as the front rack. I would call it a perfect fit, but you wouldn’t if you want to keep your extender rail on.

Yes, filling with the new ones is very easy, especially compared to the old ones. The new models have self-storing flexible filler nozzles that fit right inside the tank (pack) under the cap when not in use.

It’s extremely rare that I’ll put on enough miles in one day to run my Sportsman out of fuel, but it has happened. I’ve saved several other riders from long walks though. Having extra fuel on the trail can make you real popular real fast ;}

Old 02-25-2000, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

Flood_Runner,

I feel cheated. You towed my Honda back to camp as a trophy didn't you :-0 instead of giving me some gas eh? Well at least my quad is not mounted over your fire place mantle (how much do you want for those pictures?). Well I have one question for you my friend. Will you give my poor old Polaris a drink of gas if I run out again since the Honda has been put out to pasture? Looking forward to the 17th . I'll buy you a beer at Reds.

P.S. Dont forget the tow strap we might have to pull some Hondas home LOL

Old 02-26-2000, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hehehe Given the choice of offering a drink of gas or getting to drag your buddy’s virgin Honda home on a hook with a Polaris who wouldn’t have done the same?? hehehe