Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HP of the Polaris sport quads???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here comes those opinions again. Would be a boring country if we all rode the same thing. Getting ready to nab a 700 Sportsman, and probably....I mean definitely grab the new sport quad in the fall. Won't change brands, but that's my choice. Join a club, and help preserve your right, and areas to ride. Do something positive.

Ken Thompson

Old 04-03-2002, 08:00 AM
Range Rover

I think some people get confused between a race ride and a sport ride.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I hear you, man. A race ride is much different than what I consider a sport ride. I often ride with a guy who has a Warrior and nearly every time I turn around he is stuck in the same holes I just drove through on my 4wd Scrambler. In the same day, though, we can both go out and hit jump after jump and have a great time.

When snow hits, though, I could put a plow on mine and push the white stuff. I use mine for everything it's worth at times. I needed one I could hook to a trailer and pull, but also go play, too. It's heavy, but if it wasn't, then I wouldn't be able to pull what I pull.

Definately a matter of opinion, by far, and it depends on what you need. I don't believe anyone can just say Polaris (or any other manufacturer) makes crap or anything like that because it all boils down to everyone having their own desires for their application.

SnowDrift

Old 04-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

stebob --

After riding all of the new high end utility quads and talking to many, many owners, mechanics, etc. I have come to the following conclusion that the Kawi 650 is a good sport-ute atv. I think Scrambler riders will love them since they have more power and better mud-ability than the present Scram. But as far as a good "utility" bike, nope.

As far as uitility use, the Kawi 650 leaves a lot to be desired. First, it has a great engine, but after that all else is really quite mediocre. The front struts/springs will not accept the weight of a winch and 60" plow setup. One kawi dealer had to take their 54" plow off because the front end sagged so badly. It would never, ever support something like a 60" Moose blade. Next, the rear swingarm suspension is not up to par with the others in the utility class. Without IRS it's much harder to log/rock crawl and ground clearance is so poor that most sport machines are better. It would be real, real easy to get this machine high-centered. Third, there are clutching problems in the Kawi family. The 300 and 400 Prairie's were know for problems and two local mechanics have indicated that they have both had new Kawi 650's (less than 500 miles) in for clutch problems. Last, there are not many around and parts are hard to come by in our area. They had to wait three weeks to get clutch parts for a new 650. I don't need that.

I think Kawi has a good engine, but a hastily thrown together utility bike. It would be the easiest to get stuck. My butt deserves IRS.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Negative people are usually simple minded followers of the sheep. No thinking mind of there own. Most of these Goobers probably never owned a Polaris quad, or any Quad for that mater. Fairly easy to lie and make crap up on these posts.
They spend lots of time in here memorizing other simple minded Goober coments, kind of like a parrot.
Dont let um get you pissed off.
I grew up with Yamahas and Hondas, Got a little older, a lot smarter, and bought the best quad for my needs.
When I balanced out my Performance, Price, Value, and usage needs, guess what, I bought 2 brand new Polaris Quads.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

InvaderZim --

How you came to the conclusion that the Polaris was better is a true mystery. I've owned 1 Suzuki, 2 Hondas, 1 Yamaha, 4 Polaris and now another Yamaha atv over the years and have ridden many, many more. I know a little bit about these bikes, particularly Polaris. The Yamaha for $6500 is a real true bargain, considerably less than Polaris. The racks, Hmmm, Yamaha has metal and Polaris has plastic, so I have a real tough time figuring how Polaris is better there. I always hated those plastic Polaris racks. Stability, those that are not familiar with IRS will "think" any IRS is unstable until they get accustomed to the ride. I found the Grizz to be nimble and quick resonding on the trail, actually much more stable than my Sportsman was. I'm wondering if you really know what a Grizz 660 is?

The thing that sets the Yamaha apart from the Polaris is the auto cluthing setup. Polaris needs to do better. The 700 engages way to high and has extreme engine braking. I "hate" the Polaris version of EBS. It ruins a decent ride.

I really started out thinking the Kawi 650 was the bike for me this time. But after riding, and taking away the low end performance of the Kawi (the Grizz is better in mid-top end), the Grizz does nothing bad. I believe the clutching/rideabiltiy issues with the P-700 are too much to overcome. And then, there's all those zerks, always a thought in the mind of a "former" Polaris owner who still has a half-case of grease and 4 grease guns left over.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

MegaCrash --

I guess your name says it all.

By the way sonny, older does not mean smarter. "You" might think so, but age does nothing for your brain. I'm living proof to dispell that old rumor and I'm probably much older than you. The brain cells keep falling out of my helmet even as I'm riding. Do you think a new helmet might help?

Old 04-03-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have noticed that when some people feel that another quad may be better than theirs that they talk poorly about the better quad.

Jack,
We are happy you like your yamaha, I am sure it is a great quad for you, but if we wanted to hear about it we would go over to yamaha forum and read post there. When we read a post "HP of Polaris sport quads???" We don't read it to hear you bash Polaris. I got a feeling the helmet isn't the problem with your brain, its that stuff you've been smoking [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

You've got it all wrong, no bashing at all I'm just stating the facts. If you can't stand it, tough s_ _ it, go somewhere else. Have you tried runing up against one of the new utility machines yet. Dont . . . you will get blown away, particularly on the top end. All of the new utes make more rear wheel hp than any of the so called "Polaris Sport Quads".

I guess sport means different things to different people, but one thing for sure, in Polarisese language it still means sloooww.

Polaris has been messing around with a test sport quad for so long it will be obsolete when it arrives. And whenever that might be, don't expect any numbers. They will probably make 50 just to get them out so the media can write about them. It won't be until sometime "maybe" in 2003 when they finally arrive and by that time the new Bombers will be out . . . lookout for that one.

Old 04-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Jack,
Thanks for the input. Interesting info.

ScramblerX,
No one is making you read this post. If you don't wanna hear/read about it, don't click on it!!! If you don't like what he posts, move on.

Quick Reply: HP of the Polaris sport quads???