Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reduce weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back up to Daran's post... Did you actually weigh your Sport?

I've been meaning to weigh mine and given what I know about your's I used that figure to come up with a rough estimate of 365-375 for a weight on mine.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys~
I don't want to be the sour grape here, but the best bet for big air would be a diferent machine. After removing 100+ lbs from a Polaris, you would have been able to buy a machine more suited to jumping. If 4X4 and auto tranny are high on your list of priorities, then putting your Scrambler on a diet would be the best bet. If you could live without those 2 features, check into a raptor, 400ex, DS650, or Suzuki z400. The DS is on the heavy side itself, but it has enough suspension and adjustability for a wide range of jumps and riding styles. It is NOT too wide for the woods either. Every trail I ride on is not exactly 46" wide! I'm not saying the DS650 is the best machine built, just commenting on what I know the most about. Good luck!

Just a guess here, but if you removed or replaced everything Blazer250 suggested, you might be down to an bare minimum 450 LBS since you have 4X4 and the 500 4 stroke. Thats only 10 lbs less than a DS650 bu still 30 lbs more than a Raptor.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Yeh well i still want a good machine in the woods

Old 04-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

<< Cut off the floorboards, aluminum wheels, new pipe, clutch kit, remove battery, remove steel chain guard disc, lighter swingarm, remove skidplate, aluminum bumpers, lighter tires, lighter handlebars, drill out some un needed parts on frame, etc. >>

I would have to say that would cover it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:

Old 04-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Edge~

What kind of woods riding do you do? Are you squeezing between trees that are no more than 46&quot; wide? Is 4X4 a necessity? I would think nerfs would add a little width to a Scrambler. If you do all the full diet to the Scrambler you will have one tricked out machine! Although tricked out, it will probably still have performance less than full sport machines in the dunes, woods, or jumping. That's just the way Polaris builds their Scramblers. They are the best at nothing, but good at everything.

Old 04-09-2002, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

yeh tru is it still gonna be good on the dunes if i dont do anything to it

Old 04-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have not been to the dunes, but have found out from reading that wheel speed is necessary for good performance in the dunes. Weight is something that is going to slow you down the most in the sand. when climbing hills, you are fighting gravity and a 550+ lb machine is not a benifit. Definitely drop some weight and gain some power for better performance in the sand.

Old 04-10-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Here's my list: What I'm in the process of doing
Silencer 5
Sprocket guard 4
Mud flaps 3
Floor boards 10
Wheels 18
Bumper 3
Handlebars 3
Swingarm 8
Toolkit, chain guard,
underbody guard 2
Exhaust guard 1
Lights 1

What else can be done.
Steering stem 1
Starter 3
Battery 5

So far I've spent $500 on the bumper, Silencer and wheels. That's not much so far.
The swingarm is anotehr $379 and I'm waiting on it now.
I am not doing Nerfs. I just took off the floor baords and cut away all the metal minus the back post. It is in the perfect spot. From there I riveted the pegs from the boards back on!
BTW, this frame is not as heavy as people think. I had a couple 8&quot; section there and was amazed at how light it was!!! Both section were less than a lb together. I need to measure up all the distances and come up with how much metal is in there.

I think the weight is all left in the drivetrain.

And, how does an aftermarket clutch take off weight??

Old 04-10-2002, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

is the 400 4x4 much slower than the 500 4x4

Old 04-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Barely Legal, if you haven't already changed out the airbox, loose it for a coned K&amp;N with a water repellent Outerwear. Also once you've lost the wt, some front wheel spacers, and either spacers in the rear, or a wider Durablue axle really stabilizes things. For trail blasting, the roller clutch is another +, there isn't a wt savings. Mettec.com can help you with titanium fasteners...just changing out the front and rear wheel studs can be a few pounds, plus added strength.

Edge 020 Normally pretty close between the two, I think the 400 has normally been just a little faster...not much though.

No offense to others, but some of us with the race-mod setup truly need to get our machines out and &quot;educate&quot; some people.

Ken Thompson

Quick Reply: Reduce weight