Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been out of the quad scene for a few years and wanting to get back into it. I've shoped around and pretty much decided on Polaris i think.
What i need help with is i like the looks of the 500 Sportsman, but i cant seem to get past the thought of belt drive. Then i look at the expedition 425 and am more comfortable with the 5 speed, but the towing capicity seems low compared to the belt drive of the 500.
Then i notice the expidition 325 has the same towing capicity as the 425 and figure it would be ok for me if the price was right, but on the web page under specs. it says that the 325 is a 325 cc air cooled 4 stroke liquid cooled engine. Now which is it <air cooled or liquid cooled>.
I definatly want liquid cooling, but am not comfortable with the belt. So tell me is there a problem with the belt, or am i just being old fashond. I would like to hear from someone that has a 425.

Old 02-28-2000, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I own the expedition 425 cc 5 speed. The 425 cc is
liquid cooled with a fan backup. The 325 expedition is air cooled. It has what looks like the radiator that the 425 has but it is not. The 325's towing capacitiy rating is the same as the 425 but in reality, the 425 has allot more power then the 325. The 425 also can tow much more then its rating. The 325 is a bonified midrange size atv. The 425 plays with the big boys, and in many cases out performs them. As an owner of the 425, I have been very satisfied with its performance.

rangerchet, polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 02-28-2000, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ps, The 325 and 425 are not belt driven. They are true shaft driven atv's, front and back. I dont know exactly why the 325 is sluggish, I guess it is because it almost weights the same as the 425 but 100 cc's less. I like the shaft drive. No play, no jerk, no hesitation. You are correct, the
325 is about 1 thousand less then the 425 and if its enough machine for you, I supose its a-ok.
the 425 is 4 valve 4 stroke.
the 325 is 4 stroke...
rangerchet polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 02-28-2000, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Don't have a 425, but do have a SP 500. The belt driven tranny is pretty much trouble free. I was hesitant at first about a belt driven automatic, but after using it, it is so much easier and comfortable not having to shift. The belt driven transmissions have been used for years on sled, and for years by Polaris on their quads as well. I have had zero belt wear in 1300 miles, and that is only 3 months since I bought it. I seized the cooling fan (found out because of warm cold cycle, in and out of garage in winter) but was replaced on warranty. Once you ride the Sportsman, you'll agree with the comfort and sweetness of the ride. You make the final decision though, why not ask for a test ride as well. Here you'll see how good your dealer is and to what lengths he'll go to get your business. P.S. Free winch until April 30.

Old 02-28-2000, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

the 325 is out of the question now, i dont want air cooled and its not really big enough. i guess what i'm trying to decide now is i like the grond clearnce of the sportsman 500 but i like the transmission of the expidition 425. thhe only towing that i would really do is i would like to be able to pull a jetski (Polaris 750)out of the water. other than that mostly trail riding and light chores

thanks for the info. so far
Th0m

Old 02-28-2000, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

SWAC1, for a guy that is ready to give his sp500 back to the dealership you sure talk up the machine. You sound like you have no trust for polaris service people in general . . .why recomend one to this guy? I've got an sp500 that has spent months in the shop, you won't see waveing the polaris banner.

Old 02-28-2000, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you should just hang on then for a little while. I have no idea what polaris is working on but it does seem within the realm of possibility that polaris may come out with a sp500 like 5 speed. I would guess they would call it an expedition 500 cc. It is possilble that they could
come out with year 2001 new atv's in april or may,
I estimate. Its just another one of my dumb ideas!?!

rangerchet polaris expedition 425 cc 5 speed.

Old 02-28-2000, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody's had more problems with their 500cc Sportsman than me.But to retrack from Rancheres comment about recommending the Sportsman to others and not waving around a Polaris banner?I've seen problems posted with EVERY manufactures quads.Does that mean we are to not buy other manufactures products?I know ALOT of very happy Sportsman owners,in fact I ride with a few that have had NO problems at all.Over all,the Sportsman is a dependable quad and I would not be afraid of buying another one.The weight is sometimes a little to much for me though.[697 lbs] so my next quad will be the 400cc Xplorer.[588 lbs]Do your own research and make up your own mind.====BILL

Old 02-28-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ThOm,About the belt thing?Use low gear and you will never have a problem pulling weight or burning up belts with this quad.I've pulled Astro vans out of the ditch before with no problems what so ever.When towing,or pulling,use low gear.====BILL

Old 02-28-2000, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

The 325 is not air cooled, it is oil cooled assisted by a fan. There is a difference between air and oil cooled. Although oil cooled is not the same as liquid cooled, it is a good system, a lot better than standard air cooled motors. Don't let that deter you from buying it.