Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Crack went the swingarm!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2000, 05:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went riding Sunday with a group of 2 99 Scrambler 500s, 99 Sport400, 00Scrambler 400 2x4, 00 400ex, 00 blaster, 96 3004x4 honda, and a 92 250x. We had a fast,long woods ride. I was happy to see that the 400ex could not leave me, maybe because he just got it last week, who knows? Well none of us had any problems until we got on the dirtroad and then the 99 Sport400 cracked the swing in half on one side!! To everybodies surprise he did not feel it???? When he stopped he got off and looked at the rear end and the swingarm was apart, not a crack but spilt apart totally, what a sight.

Old 02-28-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

He should have been a more responsible ride and not try to ride beyond his machines level by trying to keep up with the Honda 300 4x4..... :-)

Old 02-29-2000, 08:50 AM
Range Rover

Adam,

Well, uhhhhh we kind of made a huge jump coming out of the woods with a little bobcat, then the guy on the sport 400 started jumping over his brother while he was squated. That could have a little to do with it Adam, what is your web address? I switched browsers and a couple of my bookmarks disappeared.

Later,

Old 02-29-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Ah, so that's the story.... It wasn't the 300 4x4 causing problems and starting races? :-)

My website is downand has been down for a while. Not sure why, but I was pretty busy and hadn't updated it in a while anyway. Since I wasn't paying for the space, I was using a friends, I can't really complain much about it. I still have the files backed up (but a slightly older version), but I doubt it will get put back up for a while. Just too busy to keep it updated & running. Maybe later I'll start a new one.

Old 03-01-2000, 08:58 AM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about the shut down, it was the best site for Scramblers. Do you know of any front shocks/struts for the Scrambler that kickas$ but are not that expensive? How do the holeshots do in the small mudholes, I need a tire for kicking around a track and woods. I will put the big ones on for mud ridding.

L8R,

Old 03-01-2000, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

The only aftermarket front suspension I know of that's availble right now is the Fox struts from Hot Seat, or your Polaris dealer. From HotSeat they are about $260 a pair I think. I haven't used them, yet, but heard the help a lot for the money by adding more compression, which somthing desperatly needed on the stock Scramblers.

The Holeshots do OK in the small mudholes. In 4wd you shouldn't have a problem getting stuck in the small ones, and maybe even 2wd in some cases. Most of the XC racers run them and some of the tracks are pretty slick.

One word of advice. If you go for the Holeshots, get the XC or XCT models, these are the heavy duty 6-ply versions. I got 20" rear, hoping to gain some acceleration, and help lower the height. At first I was pleased, except that I lost some top end that I really needed. After running my 22" tires again, I see how much better a 22" is than a 20" on the Scrambler 500 if you don't regear. I lost a pretty good amount of top end & overall speed with the 20" rears. If I did it again I would still get 23" front, but would get the 22" rears instead.

Also might want to look into the Maxxis Razr which is similar to the Holeshots, and now come in the taller size as well.

I put my stock front tires on the other day and ran for a little bit. WOW, the Holeshots helped a lot. I could go a lot faster in the corners with the Holeshots. With the stock tires I 2-wheeled a lot easier, and couldn't turn as fast. The Holeshots don't push as much as stock, and don't "roll" near as much.