Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone else get a bum tranny on a Scrambler 400?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought my '01 Scrammbler I found it had a leaky trans. Now at just over a year old it seems that the output shaft is shot. I began to notice a popping in the rear end on my last outing after sounding as if it were getting worse I discovered that the front sproket was very loose on the shaft yet the teeth were perfect. The splines were in fair condition compared to a new sproket. When replaced the new piece was almost as loose. Anyone else have problems?

PS I am not going to start slamming Polaris on this because I love this bike. I am just wondering if I have an isolated case.

Old 04-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

codeman,

I'm guessing the leaky tranny got fixed, so now on to your second problem/question. Your output shaft is most likely fine. Some sprockets fit tighter than others, even new, but the hardness of the output shaft should be much higher than the sprocket, and should last the life of the bike. My 2001 Xplorer 400 has the same setup, and the front sprocket can be wobbled a little on the shaft. The popping noise you heard in the rear end is the chain itself. Either the rollers are sticking from sand/grit (lubing it real well will cure this), or else a roller or two or more are missing. It takes a real close inspection to notice a missing roller. It is even possible that all the rollers are there, just one or more are cracked and about to go. When you go to replace that chain, step up from the stock Regina chain, and go with one of the higher grades of chain. The X-ring chains made by DID, EK, Tsubaki, and possibly some others are much better than the regina. The stock polaris sprockets seem to be fairly durable, and reasonably priced. Let us know what you find out. I will truly be amazed if your output shaft is really shot.

Waylan

Old 04-17-2002, 10:53 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I second what Walexa posted. Hot Seat has some reasonably priced chains and sprockets that are a definite step up from the stockers. Lube that PUPPY!!!!

Ken Thompson

Old 04-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I hear where you guys are coming from but the chain was my first place to check. It is in excellent condition. It has been lubed and tightened on a regular basis. After I dug a bit deeper is when I found the play in the sprocket. I know that the shaft should be much harder, I wonder if this one is just a bad piece, i.e. not heat treated correctly or something to the sort. Thanks for your input. By the way the dealership I bought it from wants to take a look at it and they are supposed to contact Polaris about a possible replacement.

Old 04-17-2002, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

If the popping noise came from the front sprocket spinning on the countershaft, it would be toast and wouldn't transfer power to the sprocket ever again. I have thought that my chain was in excellent condition, but something was making noise. The noise kept getting worse and worse, until I finally got down and looked real good again. There were like 3 cracked rollers, and I barely spotted them. I may be wrong, but I still don't think that your problem is with the countershaft.

Waylan

Old 04-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

My output shaft on my 400 went bad as well. Major play. I thought it was the sprocket so I bought a new one, but it didn't help. I ended up doing a temp fix by using shim stock in the splines.

Old 04-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

I too agree with the chain being the problem. I had the same noise and a little looseness on the sprocket. I rebuilt my clutch,axle bearings and new front wheel bearings. No workie. Took my chain off and found nothing wrong there either that I could see. Soaked my chain kerosene over night and hung it out to drain the next day. Put the chain on so it ran opposite of what it was running when new. Since then I have had no noise what so ever. Before you do the transmission work try soaking the chain and reverse the way it travels. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Old 04-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not saying that a countershaft can't wear out, but I think it either works or doesn't. Even the yokes that go on the front gearbox develop wobble, but I've never heard of one stripping out. I replaced one because it had more slop than the other 2. Now, all 3 are loose about the same amount, so I replaced that one for nothing. What is shim stock, where do you get it, and how does it work? Thanks,

Waylan

Old 04-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I am not trying to argue but. If you could see how loose the new sprocket is I think you would understand.It's not just moving in and out but it will actually wobble on the shaft. It is not stripped I am still riding it.