Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

transmission guard for broken chain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a couple and heard of several others that have knocked a large hole in the transmission housing when a chain broke on their Scrambler. Does anyone make a guard for such a thing, so when this happens, it doesn't destroy everything in it's path? If not, then has anyone ever made one and had success?

I need to invest in a tensioner, I guess, too, but the guard would just be extra insurance. It is obvious that Polaris never intended a Scrambler to be ridden by all the things that seem to fail. Pretty discouraging, since I own two Scramblers and a Trailblazer.

SnowDrift

Old 04-18-2002, 05:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but when we addressed this before, no one new of a current manufacturer. The tensionsers work good. Keep the chain lubed, and periodically inspect it for wear. Change it out with a good quality unit when it looks "iffffy".

Ken Thompson

Old 04-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Range Rover

Ken,
Sorry, I did a search, but didn't find anything on it - didn't know it had been covered before.

SnowDrift

Old 04-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Its very easy to make your own. I bought a small piece of sheet metal from Lowes, cut it to cover the trans and bent it 90 degrees to cover the mounting bolt holes for the stock guard. Drill two holes for your mounting bolts and its ready to go. I have snapped at least 5 chains and have not broken the trans case yet. My brother on the other hand knocked a hole in his case on his second ride on his new Scrambler and our stepdad also shattered his case with a broken chain. No problems at all for any of us after installing the metal guards.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Snowdrift, just meant to convey that I din't know of any out there.....not meaning to do a search. Been playing hockey since I was 5, and they didn't improve the helmets til I was 30+, so the grey matter flops from time to time. Hopefully some more posts like Kevin's will show up.

Good Luck,
Ken Thompson

Old 04-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

How about a picture or diagram when you get time Kevin? Sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-19-2002, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I just happen to be pulling the plastic off of my 500 and putting it on a 400 I just bought. If I can get a good picture of it while the plastic is off I'll post it on Yahoo.

Old 04-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Range Rover

Kevin,

That would be great to see some pictures fo your guard!! Let us know id you can get a few shots and thanks for the tips!

Modquad,

No problem. I just thought I may have missed something when I tried to look up some info - I am not too computer literate, in many areas.

Thanks guys,
SnowDrift

Old 04-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

KevinM,

I would also be very interested in a photo of the case saver. I derailed a chain once, and it cracked my tranny. I looked at it all, but never could figure out how to make one. Making one that works (in your experience) is something I am interested in. If I could see one, I could probably make my own. Let us know.

Waylan

Old 04-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry guys, I spent the whole weekend changing carburetors, switching plastic and a few other accesories and installing an EGT gauge. I didn't finish up until late Sunday, so I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I'll try to get out in the garage soon and have them uploaded in a day or two.

Quick Reply: transmission guard for broken chain?