Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

transmission guard for broken chain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, pictures are up. Scrambler Pics
If you look at the bottom of the guard you can see the dent that would've been a cracked case. I've snapped more chains and master links than I can count, but I've only lost one since I put on the HPD chain tensioner. The guard is 6 inches long by 4 3/4 inches wide with the bend at approximately 2 inches.

I also recommend taking a close look at the transmission mount brackets. I'm not sure about the newer models, but 2000 and under models have brackets that are not much more than pieces of tin. They will break and cause your transmission case to crack much like a snapped chain would, as this happened on this SC400. This should have been a recall item by Polaris, but since they did not do it, I'd recommend an upgrade to anyone who doesn't have these.

I've also included a few other ideas, mainly for people who ride their Scramblers hard in the woods. The dampener will take a big load off of your arms and shoulders. The A-arm guards will help prevent bending and breaking of the weak stock A-arms. An extra set of footpegs will help keep your feet from slipping and the chain tensioner will greatly reduce the instances of broken chains. In my opinion, the stock Scramblers are very tippy, after putting on a set of wheel spacers, this thing is way, way more stable. I'd also recommend the EGT gauge to anyone with a modified 2-stroke, it could easily save your motor.

Old 04-28-2002, 05:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,

Great pictures and thank you for posting them. I am going to put them to good use on both my 500 Scramblers. By the way, your guage (EGT) looks good where you have it - not cobbled up like I have seen some before (you picked a good location.

Not sure I understand about the transmission mounts, but I am going to look in my manual to see what I can see on them. Extra footpegs is a good idea, too.

SnowDrift