Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need info on scrambler and sport 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm thinking about buying one or the other but ive never owned a polaris before. i want a quad i can add some performance to but still be reliable. i dont want the typical utility quad. i need an automatic but at 43 i still love pulling wheelies. i will be riding mostly trails and open areas and not big on mudding but it would be nice to have the 4 wheel drive to play in the mud ever now and then. ive heard the 4 wheel drive is just as fast as the sport, is this true ? since it is a big 2 stroke does it suck gas pretty bad. usually with regular maintenance how often do you have to rebuild the top end.i will probably be buying a 96 to a 99 since i cant afford a new one. i would appreciate all input. Mark

Old 04-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Does it suck gas,well i rode on the dunes and got 12 hrs on my 6 gallon can. Wheelies,oh yeah!top end rebuild i don't know. My nickels worth of free advice is to properly coordinate any mods,especially the clutching. That 378cc 2 stroke can be a wuss if you arent in it's powerband.They really wake up to the mods. Have fun and avoid power braking. If the engines revving and the wheels are not moving, you will be purchasing a new belt.And you could damage the clutch surfaces.Bottom line;fun,fast simple to maintain machine.

98 sport 400L
rcr stage 1
hpd aggresive clutch
v force delta reed cage
42mm carb tommorow
porting when the wallet allows

Old 04-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a 400 is right up your alley.

Great on gas, operator friendly, easy to modify for more power, cheap to come by. You should be able to locate a '99, maybe even '00 for between $3200-$4500.

I would suggest sticking to a '99 or better, as those models have better braking and more suspension travel.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I agree. It sounds like your looking in the right area. The 400 is a great machine and will wheelie good too. Mods are easy to do, not expensive and you get a lot of fun factor in return.
The 4WD does not slow them down much, but it will make them jump a little worse. If you want to do some serious mud and not really jump too much, 4WD would be the way to go. It is more maintenance and moving parts to deal with though.

Old 04-19-2002, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah mud is not my thing, I never considered the 4x4 and really havent been sorry yet, The 2x4's ground clearence and tire's should put you just about any where you want to go except where the big boys play in the mud, I agree on the 99 & up suggestion, The updated suspension and brakes are worth the couple extra bucks, You should be able to get a 99 in good shape for about $3000 or so, Good luck with your hunt and let us know what you find[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Mornin Mark, being the same age as you and seeing that you would use your quad about the same as I do, I figured I would drop you a line. For the way I ride the scrambler works out great, I use it for everything, hunting,working,playing. You can get through most anything with the 2 wh. drive and momentum, but you can get through even more with the 4 wh. drive. For me I enjoy being able to go almost anywhere( I like to make my own trails) ok now the bad part. If you do get stuck, man can that thing feel like your trying to lift up a house. But for the most part, mine has been very reliable, easy to mod. and a lot of fun to ride. Have had no major problems, the usual....brake pads,& chains. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose.. Bob

Old 04-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for all the input guys. i pretty much had my mind made up before i posted here but just needed to here from the people that own these machines. now i just have to wait for uncle sam to send me my tax check and i will be riding again. i do 99 percent of my own maintenance, actually i do 99 percent of everything. my 14 year old just started racing his blaster last month and i do all maintenance and engine rebuilds, my 8 year old rides a e-ton 90 and i rode a suzuki quadsport for 3 years but the bottom end went out a couple months ago and im tired of sinking money in it so time for something else. thanks again for all the input.

Mark