Why buy American

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: 440EX026
Originally posted by: Fahq
What facts did that article give? Explain to me how Bigot, er, Byrd is protecting jobs?
Yes, if Hitler told me 2+2=4, I would question it. I would be negligent if I did not question a genocidal maniac.
You do know you could agree with Byrd on this individual law, and not any of his other actions. I know most politicians are pushed or backed for most of the things they do, and it would appear that Byrd has some labor groups and heavy manufacturing in his district that are behind this, but hey even if nothing else he does is worth a damn at least these anti dumping duties (we all should check this out since its not trying to give US manufacturing any free ride or specific edge beyond controlling those items that are sold here either below there actual cost to mfg in their original country, or are sold for less here than in their own country of origin and therefore being "dumped" just to mess up our markets) are a good thing and are doing there job very well.

I only have first hand experience with a couple of the products listed, but not only has this law allowed some very large well known names in mfg to stay in businsess it has also allowed the us military to actually have US companies and mfg to support various types of machinery. For a while the US had to look to companies in Ger or Jap for specific machine tool items, and bearings that were no longer avail in the US due to unfair trade practices forcing the US companies out of business.

One other side benefit has been that US production quality has also improved greatly over the time this act has existed.

One last thing that I have found confusing. So many get excited with the mere mention of the name Adolf Hitler, and I guess I can emphasize with this, but from what I have heard and read most refer to him as being insane or a madman, but all the accurate history I have seen points to his becoming mentally impaired or insane towards the end of his life and near the end of the war. Would that mean that he was not insane during the other times, and that he could have been the master mind that so many had referred to him as for almost conquering all of europe and asia? I dont have the answers, and that was more of a question than statement.
In regards to Hitler. Anyone who murders millions of people can do nothing to convince me that they are, as you say, a mastermind.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Hondabuster,
Highlight all you want. The fact of the matter is, the WTO Appellate Body ruled that the act violates the WTO agreement, leaving the United States vulnerable to retaliation against its exports, although the amount of that retaliation has not yet been determined.
I wonder why our Aryan friend Robert Byrd didn't mention that? It really wasn't "The Bush Administration" that buried the "Byrd Amendment". It was the WTO itself.
Turn the page, the election is over. I am sorry that you are not happy with America's choice for President.

Have a nice day.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Why buy American

Amen.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Hondabuster,
Highlight all you want. The fact of the matter is, the WTO Appellate Body ruled that the act violates the WTO agreement, leaving the United States vulnerable to retaliation against its exports, although the amount of that retaliation has not yet been determined.
I wonder why our Aryan friend Robert Byrd didn't mention that? It really wasn't "The Bush Administration" that buried the "Byrd Amendment". It was the WTO itself.
Turn the page, the election is over. I am sorry that you are not happy with America's choice for President.

Have a nice day.
The facts are that 71 senators believed in this enough to vote for it. That crosses the party lines and shows the law has merit. At least the dems and reps tried to do something. Care to bash the other 70 senators who voted and backed Byrd?Were they KKK too, because they backed his thoughts? Ive seen pictures of cheney and bush shaking Sen byrds hand...they must be aryan too?

Merry christmas

Old 12-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Hondabuster,

Have a nice day.
The facts are that 71 senators believed in this enough to vote for it. That crosses the party lines and shows the law has merit. At least the dems and reps tried to do something. Care to bash the other 70 senators who voted and backed Byrd?Were they KKK too, because they backed his thoughts? Ive seen pictures of cheney and bush shaking Sen byrds hand...they must be aryan too?

Merry christmas
At one time, a majority of Senators voted for segregation. That did not make it right.
Let me see if I understand you. You are trying to make the connection that just because some Senators agreed with Byrd's take on WTO that I should consider them Aryan or KKK as well? That is a stretch and quite humorous.
Yes, I do care to bash the other Senators who voted for this proposal. Republican or Democrat, I reserve the right to disagree.
The point I made, that you obviously missed, is that Byrd's website blames the Bush administration for blocking this law. I merely pointed out the fact that it was not the Bush administration that blocked it. Oh, and I also pointed out that Byrd is a member of the "master race".

BTW, We both know that you do not and probably will not agree with me. I respect your right to disagree. That is what makes forums like this fun. I sometimes have to remind myself that whether we are right or left of center, all of us here have one thing in common. We love our quads.
I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.
Ride safe.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Hondabuster,

Have a nice day.

Merry christmas
At one time, a majority of Senators voted for segregation. That did not make it right.
Let me see if I understand you. You are trying to make the connection that just because some Senators agreed with Byrd's take on WTO that I should consider them Aryan or KKK as well? That is a stretch and quite humorous.
Yes, I do care to bash the other Senators who voted for this proposal. Republican or Democrat, I reserve the right to disagree.
The point I made, that you obviously missed, is that Byrd's website blames the Bush administration for blocking this law. I merely pointed out the fact that it was not the Bush administration that blocked it. Oh, and I also pointed out that Byrd is a member of the "master race".

BTW, We both know that you do not and probably will not agree with me. I respect your right to disagree. That is what makes forums like this fun. I sometimes have to remind myself that whether we are right or left of center, all of us here have one thing in common. We love our quads.
I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Ride safe.
Ill agree with that,and merry christmas to you and yours.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

I appreciate that, Hondabuster.

Matt

Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: 440EX026
What facts did that article give? Explain to me how Bigot, er, Byrd is protecting jobs?
Yes, if Hitler told me 2+2=4, I would question it. I would be negligent if I did not question a genocidal maniac.
You do know you could agree with Byrd on this individual law, and not any of his other actions. I know most politicians are pushed or backed for most of the things they do, and it would appear that Byrd has some labor groups and heavy manufacturing in his district that are behind this, but hey even if nothing else he does is worth a damn at least these anti dumping duties (we all should check this out since its not trying to give US manufacturing any free ride or specific edge beyond controlling those items that are sold here either below there actual cost to mfg in their original country, or are sold for less here than in their own country of origin and therefore being "dumped" just to mess up our markets) are a good thing and are doing there job very well.

I only have first hand experience with a couple of the products listed, but not only has this law allowed some very large well known names in mfg to stay in businsess it has also allowed the us military to actually have US companies and mfg to support various types of machinery. For a while the US had to look to companies in Ger or Jap for specific machine tool items, and bearings that were no longer avail in the US due to unfair trade practices forcing the US companies out of business.

One other side benefit has been that US production quality has also improved greatly over the time this act has existed.

One last thing that I have found confusing. So many get excited with the mere mention of the name Adolf Hitler, and I guess I can emphasize with this, but from what I have heard and read most refer to him as being insane or a madman, but all the accurate history I have seen points to his becoming mentally impaired or insane towards the end of his life and near the end of the war. Would that mean that he was not insane during the other times, and that he could have been the master mind that so many had referred to him as for almost conquering all of europe and asia? I dont have the answers, and that was more of a question than statement.
In regards to Hitler. Anyone who murders millions of people can do nothing to convince me that they are, as you say, a mastermind.
First you have to read it again since those were not my words and I was only relating to what others have said (no problem I can understand the mis read etc)

Second there are so many leaders in history that have been responsible for the deaths (or murders as you had put it) of tens of thousands or more people that are hardly ever mentioned. Does that make another less guilty? or does it just prove that we find certain parts of history more suiting than others? One thing is for sure that no matter what the popular take on each of the individuals, and what country or time they were in the leaders behind such terrible acts are wrong every time period.

My only real issue with these things is how we as a country seem to find a need to only accept certain ones as being real, and almost even have the others erased from our news broadcasts so that our people are not even seeing these current autrosities.

Then there is a part of me that tries to tie all of this into our current subject at hand now with buying domestic, and how many here may find the working conditions in the plants that produce all these 2 penny items where slave or prison labor is still used, and child labor is not only an accepted but expected thing.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Hey guys help me out on this one cause I am not sure I am understanding your debate properly.

Are you saying that it was either the administration directly or the WTO that is killing the Anti Dumping legislation?

First thats really a bad thing if it is happening, and second I dont think we can blame an outside group or laws for effecting a domestic issue or law, and that it would be the decision of our leaders to make on which was more important.

I may not be a large fan of Daschel but I do remember when this law first effected the cost of items coming in, and ultimately doubled the costs domesticly of some imports, but even though this did actually effect the company I worked for directly and hurt sales and profits I was still able to see the benefits to it, and know damn well that over time the quality imports would still be a profitable product after people became used to paying a more reasonable price for it. In the years that followed this proved to be true, and the more reputable companies adjusted to it all very well, and never had any real problems with dumping again.

So yea it worked!!!

Now for the more important stuff over the next few days [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you and yours are happy, healthy and find all kinds of great ATV related gifts under that tree, and also hope that some of us also realize that this holiday isnt really about fat guys in red suits and countless hours in hot stores buying useless imported gifts no one really needs, and take a moment to embrace the real meaning of Christmas.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 12-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Hey fahq if you want to dig up the past of all politicians lets talk about bush being a alcoholic and cocaine junky.The bottom line is if byrd is trying do do something good.Then good for him.Forget the past....

Quick Reply: Why buy American