Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sport quads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello everyone i am currently riding a yamaha blaster. it is not completely stock but has the few basic mods(pipes, jet kid, air filter). anyway i was looking to get a new quad soon since it is getting somewhat boring(also no elec start, and reverse) so i decided to check out polaris sport quads. i was really looking at the scrambler 400. how is it? how fast does the quad go stock and how well does it work for sport riding. also was about the jumping ability of this machine? will it bottom out or be hard to jump. besides that what kind of mods are out thier and are they resonably priced? thanks for any information possible. the polaris seems like a nice quad.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

my friend has the 500 scrambler in 4x4 model and it jumps well and has good throttle response but our other friend has it in 2x4 and it is much quicker. then our other friend owns part of a polaris dealer and his 400 scrambler is insane put the $200 clutch kit in and new pipe and watch out. now he is adding a 38mm carb and we will see what happens they all jump very well.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the information what does the clutch kit do?

Old 05-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Scramblers are not the best jumpers. They are OK, but are on the heavy side, so aren't as nimble as most. They are more sporty trail riders that you can jump some, and are not the best choice for a racetrack. However for off-roading, they are hard to beat.
The 400 is fast, with the right mods, it is FAST. In my opinion, a modded 400 4x4 Scrambler is the fastest 4wd ATV out there.

A clutch kit is a modification to the automatic transmission. What is does is 'tunes' the clutch to the type of riding you do. From the factory it is set up in a 'one size fits most' type of thing. For example, there are different kits depending on what you want to use your quad for. There are different kits for max. pulling power, max acceleration, max top speed, and so forth. Also, the proper clutch kit allows you to make the most of any engine power-up mods by eliminating belt slippage, and allowing the engine to run at the RPM where it makes the most power.

Farmr

Old 05-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stock 400EX that I use for trial riding...

I rarely if ever, need more power or suspension on the trails...

what I do need alot more often is 4-wheel-drive.... reverse... and no clutch

I'm seriously thinking about selling it and getting a Scrambler 500 4x4

I can still jump anything I encounter in the trails, and it will have plenty of power for the open roads, it will have 4-wheel-drive for the mud and the hills, and it will have reverse for the tight trails and mud holes, and I won't have to mess with a clutch... which is great on the rocks and really technical areas...

and I'd probably just leave it stock too

... then again, it's gonna be tough to let go of that dependable, lightwieght, superb handling EX

decisions, decisions

Old 05-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

I do not think you'd be disappointed at all. A 500 is a very useful machine for what you are talking about. It does well in the technical areas and with just a few bucks you can lighten it way up and add a chunk of power. You can idle it in the heat since it is liquid cooler, back outta tight spots and still jump stuff. You might now clear 60 foot gaps, but 10-20 foot sections are very easy.

Old 05-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

if u by used get a sport 400, they are the fastest, lightest, best sport atv that polaris has ever made, there has been talk about a new fast sport quad coming out later this summer, will see.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

ok stock what would my ballpark speed of camparing to another sport quad. also does it ride like a regular 2 stroke ? thanks for all the help guys

Old 05-13-2002, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

i bought my 500 2x4 a month ago and ride hard every weekend. so far no problems. it stays right with my friend's 400 2x4 either machine is fast and fun. they jump great also!

Old 05-13-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

anyone know the exact top speed? can it hang witht he 400ex or z400?

Quick Reply: polaris sport quads?