Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

To 6x6 or not? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking into upgrading my faithful '91 Big Bear with something a bit more capable. I'm down to getting either a hotrod that can do some work (Grizzly, Sportsman HO) or a workhorse that can kick it's heels up (Sportsman 6x6). What it will be used for: some work on my farm - 150 acres of largely hardwood forest - and the occasional trail ride. Work is mostly fence maintenance, some clearing of fallen trees, snow plowing in winter, gathering firewood, etc... The BB has been terrific, but it doesn't pull worth a darn when there is a heavy log to be moved, and has trouble with a loaded trailer on the steep hills.

At the same time, I'd like to be able to explore trails and have a reasonably good time - my farm has around 2.5 miles of trails: fairly steep hills and a rocky creekbed, and there are some great trails within an hour's drive. The Sportsman 6x6 looks like it has the best pulling power, and that dump bed will hold a lot of firewood. And I'm not sure I want to haul a loaded trailer up and down those hills. So I guess my question is: can one have a good time on the 6x6? Not looking to jump tall berms in a single bound, I'm more into trailblazing than ultimate speed. How much worse is it for rollover? I've heard that it will roll over quicker than the average quad. A little or a lot? Also, has anyone had any dealings with the Sam's, the Polaris dealer in Munfordville, KY? They are showing some good prices right now.

Any thoughts from current or past owners? Any comparisons between the Sportsman 6x6 and 4x4, as regarding working capability?

Thanx - this is a buttload of money to spend, so I want to get it right.

--John

Old 05-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I sugest the 4x4. The 6x6 is great and all but harder to control in tight woods. As for hauling, they both have the same towing capacities; the only difference is that the 6x6 has the dump box which gives it more payload capacity than the 4x4. One downside to the 6x6 is the chain drive; I personally don't like this, but you have your own opinion. Overall, both are excellent machines.

Old 05-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a Polaris Ranger 4x4; for work this machine is unbeleivable and I would imagine the 6x6 is evean more so. It is however a bit of a brute to handle on narrow/tight wood trails. On most other trails it is fun to ride.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

JohnO,
because you haul firewood down steep hills, if you use a 6x6, you better be damn careful not to overfill the box. it'll throw off your balance and you will roll it! the 6x6 has a very spongie front end. if you go off-camber down the hill full of wood, i think it's safe to say you'll be calling your insurance agent for a claim! LOL
yes, i have owned a sportsman 6x6 and have worked and played with it. it's a great mudder, fun in the trails, and was very reliable.
if i were you, for hauling your wood, i'd choose a tow-behind trailer pulled by a sportsman 700. it has BY FAR the highest towing rating and is very 'sure-footed' in ALL terrain. (plus, it's a blast to ride! there's no such thing as 'all work and no play'.LOL)
that's my 2 cents!
-MT

Old 05-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks to all for the input. The question was settled by a former 6x6 owner in my neighborhood, who looked at the trails on my farm, and said - forget it. It's a pulling monster, but just doesn't like to turn, while my usual riding spot is nothing but tight turns. No point in getting all that pulling power, if you can't get to where you need to pull.

So it's back to square one - 500 HO, grizz, or 700. Probably the 500 HO, as the Polaris dealers are cutting good prices on that one right now. See y'all in Livingston!

--John