Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 (new) or a 500 (used) which way to go ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, heres my basic problem...is there any real advantage in buying a new 700 over a used 500 other than price..

I've considered the purchase for a few months...and limited myself to one of the two. My sister and her boyfriend just bought a new 700 and love it, but suggested I should go with the 500. Most of whats avail locally is overpriced imho, the lowest price I could find on anything local used was a 97 500 for $4500. Everything else is more like a 99-00 at 5500-6500...not too far from the price range of a new 700. Are there any real problems with polaris models between 97-98 that I should watch out for, anything that should sway me one way or the other aside from $$ (which isnt a major issue, but I can live with used, as long as its going to hold up as well). Just dont want to buy something only to find out its a real dog of the line or something, and this is the only real forum I've been able to find so far on the net.

Thanks

Doug Jefferis

Old 05-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

There were a lot of up-grades to the 01 and newer atv's, so I would not buy a pre 01 model. You won't find many good deals on used ones at dealers, so I would look at local papers. You should be able to find a 01 or 02 sp500 stock for under $6000. I was able to find my 500 with a winch, brush guard, 26" Mudrunners on chrome rims and heated hand grips with only 165 miles for $5850. So there are deals out there. As far as the 700, they are great, but me personaly am waiting for the 03 before I buy.

Old 05-19-2002, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

honestly, the only place I found the best deal WAS a local dealer...which really made me wonder how good a deal it was. Used market seems to be very tight around here, fewer people have $5000-7000++ to spend extra these days, so fewer people selling used and those that are want almost as much as they paid new. I'll probably just go new since I can afford it, but might wait till the 03's come out too..might be worth the wait to buy a 500 new...I doubt they offer any kind of extra incentives on the 700's since they seem to be doing REALLY well. Of course I also realize the one nice thing about buying new is the fact you have a dealer standing behind the product..something goes wrong, a good dealer will make it right, plus in 3-4 years a dealer should take care of you on a trade in. Depends on what comes up I guess, I am in no rush to buy something, but have $$ which is handy when buying (no financing to be worked out). If a good deal sprouts up on the used market I will jump, if not wait a while and buy new. Thanks for the info though...I know there have been alot of advances, just wanted to see if there is anything I should avoid.

Old 05-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

When exactly do the '03's start to arrive (august/sept??). Not really sure on atv's...but figured they would push them out to have stock on salesfloor for Xmas.

Old 05-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

In my opinion, there is no comparison from the 500 to the 700. I had a '00 sp500 and just got rid of it and bought a sp700.. That is a lot more machine.

Old 05-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

'01 sportsman 500 H.O. (red) under 200 miles, 2000 Warn,
$5,200 what a deal!
-MT

Old 05-19-2002, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

To answer your question, I would say avoid the 97-98 Sportsmans. They have the oder electrical system, and they have u-joints in the rear that do not hold up well to any abuse like mud/water or agressive tires. The 99 and 2000s are fine and can be a great buy in the $4000-$5000 depending on condition. Just know that you will probably eant to upgrade the steering bushing ($30) and maybe the hiem joints (tie rod ends) depending on what conditions the quads has been used in like mud and water. If all the metal is rust colored, it has probably been in the mud and water. That does not mean it is a bad buy, just be aware. Also, test ride it long enough and thorough enough to know that the AWD drive system works properly, and listen to the fan motor. If it hums louder than a normal one, it has been submerged in water. Fans cost around $80. Also, pull the rope to see if it has ever gotten water in it. If it has, I would pass on it. Many problems can arise from this. Also, take the seat off and see how heavy it is and compare the weight to that of a new one. If it is heavy, the seat has been under water.

Anyway, just some things to think about.

Old 05-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Range Rover

If money isn't a problem but new...you don't want someone else trouble...and older Polaris were known to have alot of problems...

Old 05-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the great advice, just the kind of details I was looking for on what to watch out for.

I will probably wind up just buying new...unless I can find something that I know has been taken care of. Biggest thing that made me want to avoid buying new is depreciation...but shopping around doesnt seem like depreciation is as bad as on other "luxury items". It really shouldnt be a factor since I plan on keeping it more than 5 years if I buy new too...

Old 05-20-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know...a USED 500 for over 6 grand??? If you watch dealer incentives around here, anyway, you can get a NEW '02 for about $6200-$6300, and Polaris from time to time has a free winch deal going. I would spend the extra couple hundred for a new 500, and get a warranty.
I have heard rumors about a re-design on the 03 500 Sportsmans. This may just mean new body plastic, or may mean a major redesign. If it is a major redesign, I would opt for a 2002 model, as it has all the bugs worked out of it already. None of the growing pains you find on a new design.

Farmr