Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is every one with a SP 700 happy

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am close to making a deal on a Polaris SP 700 - I know they're sleds are really good, how are they're ATV's as far as resale, performance, easy of maintenace, company backing (warranty)
What do most of you, who have a SP 700 use it for ?
I plan to use it for Hunting, yard work and trail riding.
Should I get a extended warranty ? Does Polaris sell they're own and our they any good ?
Whats the top speed ? does it go through deep water without sucking water into the engine ? What oil do you use (brand) ?
Thanks

Old 05-21-2002, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Finnbear,

I dont want to start a flame but i do have a couple of questions for you. Do you really need that big of a bike? Just curious. With the things that you have said (hunting, yardwork, trail riding) you might want to consider a smaller bike. Maybe even narrower. The reason that i am saying this is...i looked at purchasing the sp700 myself and after riding "deep woods", the sp700 is a lil wide. I guess it all depends on the trails that you use to get to your stand/blind for hunting. Personally, i wanted a BIG bore bike. I wanted it for the deep water and mud that we have in our marshes and swamps. That is the other reason i chose the bike that i have...the polaris has more of a chance of getting water into the belt housing. Also, the "upkeep" on the bike is a little more intense than some of the other brands. If you like working on the bike, and doing frequent "upkeep" like greasing, then it may just be the best bike for you. A smaller cc bike will do the things that you want to do, but if you are like alot of us...then ya just need the power! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I hope that you make a sound choice on your purchase and get one HECK of a deal...

Let us know what you buy...and tell us all your likes/dislikes on it!!!

thanks
Jonathan

Old 05-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jon makes some very good points here,it really dont sound like you need that big a ATV for your use?Perhaps you just want a big bore?

Anyways,
without a question,buy the extended warrenty if you are purchasing ANY Polaris 4x4 ATV.I had Polaristar and they have done me good.I had a new 99 Sportsman and a new 2000 Xplorer and I can tell you that the extended warrenty was worth EVERY penny on BOTH ATVs.Polaris has the worst record for reliability of any manufacture on the market.

Resale is also not real well with a Polaris ATV.
No other ATV requires more maintenance.
Performance is better than most in its class.
Polaris generally does stand behind their product.
A properly sealed Polaris ATV will go thru as much water as ANY stock ATV.

Best of luck,
Bill

Old 05-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer

I personally am very happy with my sp700. I have never had any more trouble getting through mud or water than my friends other brands. As far as resale, I don't agree with that. I had a 2000 sp500, paid 5900 in 2000 and sold it 2 months ago for 5300. And, as far as upkeep, that is the price you pay for a smooth ride. With the independent suspension, there are a few more grease fittings but it is one heck of a smooth ride.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

One point Jonathan has wrong..........the polaris sp700 has the best sealed auto tranny than any other bike on the market, including the grizz 660. Matter of fact, the Grizz 660 will get the belt wet when the water gets up to the fenders. If you avoid water that deep, I'm sure the grizz will be fine. The routing of the belt breathers is excellent on the sp700, and will allow you to go much deeper. I personally witnessed 3 sp700's and one grizz 660 at a local mud ride going through the same hole, and the only one to get his belt wet was the grizz 660.

Waylan

Old 05-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

i agree with walaxa on the belt point of the grizzly.
first off, i love my grizzly, and would have it no other way, but... i got into some mud up to the racks, and just swamped the belt out. i solved this by just snorkling the belt system, and now i can go deep with alot less worry. i have found polaris to be better at keeping the belt dry, stock to stock.
as for big bore quads, come on, there all ausome!!! you can say mine is better out of the hole, or mine is more comfortable, or mine is a great mudder, but hell, i'll take one of each!!!
as for the origional post. a 700 is alot of power, and alot of weight. there are alot of cheaper costing quads out there that would do what you want all day long. b8ut i can understand the hole, its a 700 man, kinda attitude also, heehee. good luck in your choise, and whatever you buy, i am sure you'll love it!

my pictures

Old 05-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

good post mich.

I agree with you. They all have their possitives and negatives. I am one that believes if any manufacture made an inferior product, they wouldn't be in business any more. I am heading up to do some muddin this weekend and I will get some pics. Can't wait to get the big boy dirty.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

Take a look at the pictures from my last ride and tell me does the 700 go deep? It dont get any deeper unless you sink it in a lake. I would like to point out that it did not die and it did not ingest any water at all. I was just cruzin along crossing this shallow river and whooom all up a sudden my 700 disapeared.

700 Swims

Old 05-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

How the heck did you NOT swam out that bike!!!!

LMFAO, now that is in there...

Every time that i take my bike deep, it seems the front end floats. I dont think that i could OR would go that deep! lol

Good pics....THANK you for sharing them!

Jonathan

Old 05-22-2002, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Hairback,

Where did you get your hand guards for the sp700?

Quick Reply: Is every one with a SP 700 happy