Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is it like to have 75 HP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Hot Seat Performance 12 to 1 billet cylinder head on my Scrambler last week. Pretty easy job, everything worked out fine.

I took it out for a ride and WOW is about the only thing that came to mind. I was riding a high speed wheelie when the front end got too high so I let it back down....hit the gas again and it went straight up and down. I was so surprized I almost fell off.

I gained lots of low-end power as well as top-end which I really didn't expext to get any there. Aside from the pipe and clutch kit, this was the biggest power adding bolt-on that I have tried. When you are going about 20 mph, hit the gas and pull a huge wheelie while spinning you know you have power!

So, to all with ported cylinders, what is it like to have 75 HP? Right now I am somewhere in the low to mid 50's. That is enough for me....I need better traction now. I think my Titan 489's were maxed out when I just had an RCR Stage 1 kit. Also, with 75 HP, does one need to "beef up" the rest of his quad to make it hold together? Thanks.

P.S. Maybe all I need is 60 HP? LOL

'96 Scrambler 400 4X4
HPD Trail Pipe/FMF Turbine Core II
HPD clutch kit
K&N filter with modded air box
Boyesen Power Reeds
Wiseco piston
HSP high comp. head

more to come??

Old 05-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

Adam;
I sand drag my 400 in the sanctioned ASDA events. The satisfaction of beating stroked Banshees with $10-15,000.00 into them is quite unbeatable. I have earned the respect of the Banshee guys and they now realize that the Polaris quads can be competitive. I race along side of two other Polaris buddies who each run 20+ h.p. shots of nitrous in full race motors with no dependability problems. As far as the feeling of the extra h.p.; imagine a 150 ft. wheelie on the gas in a 300 ft. drag race. This is with a 5" over swingarm! I'm running 5.1 seconds @ 60 m.p.h. in 300 ft. on gas in the sand. My old bike, which is now on 25 h.p. of nitrous; is running a best ET of 4.4 @ 64 m.p.h. in 300 ft. Yeeha! If you need any high performance tips; feel free to e-mail me.

My quad

Old 05-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Holy cow! My Xplorer is about the fastest quad in my neck of the woods, if not the fastest, and I am happy to be able to do over 60 MPH at the end of a quarter mile (here we all have 'working' quads, almost no 'fun' bikes, just one 300ex)! 64 in 300 ft in 4.4 seconds, that is something!
Actually 60 MPH in about 4 seconds is good for a sports car on pavement. I wonder what a Viper would do in the sand?? LOL
I don't know if my bladder could take that or not! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Farmr

Old 05-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Farmr, you'd love it. Like Faster said, it's something to beat the bigger buck boys....and ladies. I've said it before, there are tons of people out there who really have no clue as to what the race mod Polaris is capable of. It sure is fun when you introduce them to it though. All in friendly competition of course. Adam, you may want to consider a longer swingarm. Like with Faster running the 5", I run the 2.5". This definitely helps in the control department when you up the hp. The 5" is great for the dunes, but I would stick to the 2.5"-3" for any trail riding.

Ken

Old 05-27-2002, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

adamneiman,

If you like it now, wait until you get it ported. THEN will you see serious power gains. Like Modquad said, getting a longer swingarm is the way to go. Personally, and speaking from experience, I would go with a 2" longer. The 3" might be a bit too long as you tend to shift too much weight to the front (I have a 3" longer swingarm)and you wind up spinning the wheels too much. Mind you, I'm a fairly weighty guy (6'& 250 lbs) and I still had problems with too much wheelspin. I solved this by shortening the chain and going to a 30 tooth rear sprocket. Much better now, but there is always room for improvement. I'm currently producing about 60+ horsepower at the crank. This is more than enough for me.

Old 05-27-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

wowkazowee press your goggles to ya face.I have a Banshee w T5s,jet kit an pro d air filter kit.Riding on gravel/blue groove fireroad this weekend in vt I got on it in 3-5 gear and I kid ya not not only was it accelerating forward at warp nine,I could feel the back end sliding and spinning out an the front end starte dto come up.Dont ask me how much Hp i have cause I dont know but at speed,this bike is scarily and hellaciosly fast.I would say 75hp= massive adrenalin rush in a quad.ya have to relize too that 25 hp can kill ya just as fast as 75 hp can,so I would say bwcarful and have fun youll just get there a lot faster and have more on top and ya can do all those addictictive power wheelies in almost every gear where a stock quad will fall on its face after 2 or 3 gear

Old 05-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

D@mn, don't take this the wrong way but I didn't realize you could get so much power out of the polaris quad motors. :cool

Old 05-27-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

velocityraptor,

Oh yes, it really is amazing what you can do to these motors. The rumor around the campfire is that someone is coming out with a power valved cylinder for the 400 motor. The rumor has it it will produce horsepower figures somewhere in the 85+ range.

Old 05-27-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

A powervalve on a polaris, what is this world coming to.

Old 05-28-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are cool. Right now I am running on a thin line between too much traction (wheelies to much) or not enough traction (spins too much). I think tires will be my next mod and they maybe porting and rebuild top-end.

With a ported engine, is it a must to get a larger carb or will just boring the stock carb work? I would go with "trail porting" vs. race porting because I'm sure that it would be enough for me.