Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't beleive AAEN has a web site. At least I couldn't find it. Their phone #'s are:
Orders; (262) 552-9496 or (262) 552-9410
Tech Line; (262) 552-8981
Fax; (262) 552-5312
Hours; M-F 8:30-5:00 CST
The aaen part # for the "700 Sportsman Shift Kit" is ATC30056 and the cost is $72.00. I,m pleased with mine.
JACK3689
I tried the NGk plugs on my 700 too, Before I had the carb re-set. I didn't see any change in performance and they fouled out just like the champions, so I figured I would use the champions like they recommended. Personal preference, I guess. I have never had a problem with mine bogging down, in HI or Low range. I suppose that it could be from running rich. I'd try putting a fresh set of plugs in and than immediately or as soon as possible try climbing the same hill's, before they have a chance to foul out. Just my guess!! Try to find out what size main jet is in your 700.The factory had a #155 in mine and the mechanic at my dealership says that the 155 is for high altitude and changed it to a 162.5. Another thing to check is your choke adjustment. Loosen the lock nut on your choke **** and make sure it has a little bit of play before you feel resistence. If not it will be like running with the choke open a little and that will SURE foul the plugs. That's the first thing the dealer checked on mine. I hope I helped some.

Old 05-31-2002, 08:54 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info VeryPicky. I have a catalog from AAEN on the way. I think you are right about them not having a website, however I did find an e-mail address - "aaenperf@wi.net".
I will take a look at my choke cable, that would certainly be an easy fix if that is what it is. Worse comes to worse, I guess I will have to take it up to the dealer and let them tinker with the carb and jets.

Old 05-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Range Rover

weezer1 was kind enough to post aaen's web address!
www.aaenperformance.com

Old 05-31-2002, 04:41 PM
Range Rover

AAEN really needs to get thier web site listed on the search engines. You type "AAEN PERFORMANCE" in Google or Yahoo or whatever and you don't get any hits even resembling thier home page.

Old 06-02-2002, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

Jack & VP
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are fouling plugs with 155 jets, the bigger (richer) main jet of 162 is not the answer. Bigger number = more fuel. You may be suffering from to big of pilot jet of neddle jet clip position and fouling in the 1/8 - 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. And the bigger main jet may help your overall performence like at WOT and top end but to think a bigger main will keep from fouling pluge is incorrect thinking (in my opinion) The 155 will help this at altitude (less air up there, needs less fuel) Keep looking

Old 06-02-2002, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

SEACOW
Fouled the plugs out again yesterday at about 300 miles. That's once with the 155 jet and once with the 162.5 jet. The mechanic put the 162.5 jet in because that's what the service manual calls for at this altitude. I don't know squat about carbs but your probably on to something with the needle jet clip position. He did replace the needle jet the first time but he probably put it back in the same position it was in from the factory. He didn't say. He did say that the needle jet showed signs of wear. Mabey it's time that I buy a carb tuneing handbook and start tinkering with it myself. That's proably not a good idea either. I'll bring it to the dealers attention again and ask him if he changed the position of the needle jet clip. THANKS!

Old 06-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

VP, there was a great artical in dirt wheels mag. a couple of mounths ago on carb tuning. This was easy to read and understand, walked you through each circet and explained what to do and look for. It may be on their web site, good education. If I can find a copy of it I'll email it to you.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

Found it VP
the mag had pictures also.
http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/detail.asp?id=138

Old 06-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

seacow
Thanks for the web address for dirt wheels mag. I'll try to make good use of it.

Old 06-03-2002, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

<< Jack &amp; VP
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are fouling plugs with 155 jets, the bigger (richer) main jet of 162 is not the answer. Bigger number = more fuel. You may be suffering from to big of pilot jet of neddle jet clip position and fouling in the 1/8 - 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. And the bigger main jet may help your overall performence like at WOT and top end but to think a bigger main will keep from fouling pluge is incorrect thinking (in my opinion) The 155 will help this at altitude (less air up there, needs less fuel) Keep looking
>>

I think that you are absolutely right here. I got to thinking about it this weekend and came to the same conclusion. If it's running rich with the high-altitude jet then going to the &quot;normal&quot; jet would only make it worse.

My plugs have yet to actually foul out but they do get covered in black carbon very quickly. Maybe this is just the nature of the beast?

VeryPickcy, Does the AAEN shift kit have any bad effects on the EBS system? Does it make it too touchy on the takeoff? I do a lot of hill climbing and don't want to lose the EBS or end up flipping the front-end over backwards! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 problem