Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Something funky going on...need input!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ON my 97 Scrambler 400 4x4, I for some reason lost reverse a couple weeks ago. I had posted it a little while back in the forum. I never got it fixed. I checked the linkage. Wasn't the problem. I'm sure it isn't in the tranny. It goes in reverse sometimes, other times, just does nothing. I was thinking maybe the clutch buttons so I haven't messed with that yet. Today, I put my scrambler on a jack, fired it up, rear wheels and left front spin. Engage the AWD button, all four spin and reverse works. So I have 2 questions here.

1. Why is my front left wheel spinning in 2 wheel drive and how do I fix it?

2. What does that have to do with my reverse engaging in AWD and not 2 wheel drive?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-08-2002, 12:27 AM
Range Rover

It's actually pretty common for one front wheel to remain engaged when the other has released. It usaully happens just after you have just finished backing up in demand 4 wheel drive and then going forward. It will even tell you this in the owners manual. To disengage it when this happens, just put it back in reverse and then going forward again. You any or may not have to turn the on demand 4 wheel drive switch off before you try to disengage it though(It's been a while since it's happen to me, so I don't remember it exactly)
As for as what it has to do with your bike not backing up in reverse, all I can tell you is that mine did the exact same thing and when I took the secondary apart, the buttons were worn really bad. I replaced them and have had no problem since. If you decide to replace the buttons then do just that...replace the buttons. Do not try to just flip the butons around. Those buttons have a very slight concave shape to them and are made that way to fit the contour of the inside of the sheave. Besides the buttons are relatively cheap( about $2.50 each). I'm not saying this IS your fix. It's just a possibility and a observation that's all. I'm sure someone else may be able to nail down your problem exactly if it's something other than what I have said. You amy also want to do a search on "front hubs" "front hubs engaged" "demand 4 wheel drive" etc. to see what others may have run across in the past if you already haven't. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the front wheel turnning in 2wd check or change the hub oil.It is cheap insurance.I had one go bad and it cost me ove $400 just in parts.On the reverse check the buttons first but it sounds more like a worn shifter fork in the tranny I have mine tore down right now because of that.If it is a shift fork they are $51 and while your at it a chain is $32.And it is not that hard to tear down and fix. Good luck I hope it is the cheapest problem you can find.

Old 06-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

bump