Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Scrambler 400 4x4 / Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, I am new to this forum, and I just wanted to say that I am from southern WI, and I race snowmobiles not quads, and this is the first one I have owned. I just bought one of these new out of the crate and was wondering a couple of things. I will definitely be clutching it and putting a pipe on it. I am leaning toward HPD, but it also seems like RCR has a pretty good setup. I would love to get more power across the board, but I am not sure what pipe is best. I see that RCR has top end, midrange, and low end pipes. And HPD has a trail pipe and race pipe. Now, I am not going to modify my engine internals at all, so can I still run the HPD Race pipe, or will it just hurt my performance? Also in your opinion what is the best combo? Any recommendations are appreciated.
TIA

Old 06-29-2002, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Man,

First off, welcome to the boards. Most of the people here are very helpful so you should be able to find what you are looking for. Unfortunatly there are also some idiots, but if your lucky they will ignore you. Take everything that is said with a grain of salt and always keep an open mind.

Anyway, the best person to answer your questions would be Rick Ritter himself. You can find his contact info at rittercycle.com . I'm sure many other people here will agree with me that the best way to get a hold of him is to call him cause he gets swamped with emails every day.

His customer service is outstanding and he won't try to get you to buy something you don't want. You tell him what you want and he'll give you the facts...plain and simple.

Just so you know, he sells his pipes (obviously) and HPD pipes as well.

I went with the RcR Stage 1 Kit (Pipe, Silencer, clutch spring, filter, and proper jets). Rick gave me a heck of a deal on one so I had no choice but to buy it. I was very happy with the results...not only performance wise, but also how much better the engine ran. It started easier, idled better, and was a lot more fun on the trail...well worth the money that I paid for it.

As for the type of pipe...Most people here recommend the Midrange. That is what I had. The other forum members will probably pipe up and explain the ups and downs to each (right Mike Chero?).

Well, you've got a great quad to start with so don't let anybody else tell ya different...check out www.hpd-inc.com to see what it could potentially be. You've also got www.hotseatperformance.com. I had one of their 42mm carbs and it was really sweet too. Good luck with your toy.

-Josh

Old 06-29-2002, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider

jcrcr254,

Frankly the trail or midrange pipe is the way to go, no matter who you buy it from. The HPD pipe makes it's power a little higher in the RPM range than the RCR.

Here is something to consider. Polaris uses cast aluminum pistons that have a tendency to break at high rpm (7000+). I wouldn't go with a top end or race pipe for just this reason if you plan on leaving the internal components mostly stock. You could end up buying a new motor if the piston shatters. Add to this the fact that most people only use the top end / race pipe for duning and wide open spaces ruunning and I think you'll be happier with the trail / mid range pipe.

Piranha,

You dang skippy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

for a good performance trail enchancing kit,i suggest the HOT SEAT speed kit or the RCR kit if you're going to stay the engine in stock form...the new hpd race pipe is the quickest/most top end pipe you can get for the 380 2 stroke,but it take some more tuning as well.

Old 07-08-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

for a good performance trail enchancing kit,i suggest the HOT SEAT speed kit or the RCR kit if you're going to stay the engine in stock form...the new hpd race pipe is the quickest/most top end pipe you can get for the 380 2 stroke,but it take some more tuning as well.