Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Against Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"even thought they said that the (canadaian made) Quest litterly blew away everthing. they said the weight of the sp700 was a plus in the mud, mabey in the watery stuff, but where i come from the mud is thick and goey,"

as i asked, RINCON, where are you from? where is that 'thick and goopy' stuff?

thanks,
MT

Old 07-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

it's "thick and goey" get it strait. lol I'm from Eastern canada, Nova Scotia. the powerlines up here have holes of black, thick mud. it'll swallow a quad whole, and don't think your safe just cause you got a winch. weight is a disadvantage in this type of mud as far as i'm concerned

Old 07-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

yes i have ridden one, not with 28" outlaws though. the clutch engages sluggishly, the p650 blows it away, and if the mud is thick i think that the 660 GRIzz would take it. have you ever looked at the way the rear drive shaft on the sp700 is put together? it looks like they found the parts at a junk yard, polaris' just aren't as well built as a honda. THE BEST ON EARTH

Old 07-12-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

You know I saw this post and had to make some comments.

First of I WAS there. I PARTICIPATED. I HELPED choose the order they were ranked. Am I happy with the article? Yes and no. I'm happy to see us utility quads in a sport dominated magazine. I'm happy to see a test with REAL riders and not sport dudes on utes. I am not happy with how the article was written. We spent all day out there and there is a ton of content that is missing. There are also statements that were said that were taken way out of proportion. Yes, it was the looks comment that was blown out of proportion. DW did NOT pick the winner. None of the test riders care about advertising in that mag. One of us is just recently a Polaris owner. Some of us were and are still anti Polaris. None of the quads were stock and that was NOT the intent of the article. Is mud everywhere the same? Not at all. Do I call that mud? Nope, I call that sandy water with terribly deep ruts.

Comments on statements made here. The SP700 has a very high power band. We were always at 6500 RPM while in mud. I will say even though I dont like riding at that RPM, it had the power to turn them. Us saying the 700 was the best mudder was an acumulation of about 25-30 rankings. The Quest ONLY won on the drag strip. It had great speed and that about it. At high speeds it was terribly unstable. Did that count against it in the mud shoot out? Nope. It has very low ground clearance and that hurts it when it the ruts. After a few runs on the drag strip the tranny was locked in low gear. No reverse or high for the rest of the day. After that Quest replaced both the tranny and engine. One of the test riders even bought that exact Quest from Bomb since he loved it so much. He still rides it. I did get a chance to swamp both the airbox and belt on the Quest. Not placed well for deep mud. The belt needed a 17mm deep socket to drain.....who carries that in their chest waders.

Yes the p650 has unreal power, power wont make up for ground clearance. As far as the 660 taking the 700. Well, I own a 660....not a chance.

Do I like Polaris? Do I own one...nope. Do I follow them in mud? Nope.

Old 07-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

How do you like that??? If that is not good enough for oyu, we might could make TexMud take a lie detector test, and maybe a DNA test to prove he was actually there. lol

Old 07-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

O.K, i know TEXmuder was there cause i visit his web site quite frequently. He said exactly what i said, it was deep water with deep ruts. He also said that the article was poorly written, i agree, I wasn't there so all I had to go by was the mag. and the write up sucked. that's what started the confusion in the first place, but thanks TEXmudder for tell'n it how it really was. i beleive you that the sp700 is good in the mud, but i was on your site and saw the pics of the HL AC500i, it has more GC than the grizz, out back anyways. i think mabey it should have been in the shoot-out too, because like you said, it was a mud shoot-out and the drag race ment nothing. if the AC was a manuel shift it could pull 2, heck even 3rd gear in that water lol. and GC is all you really need in those deep ruts.

P.S I hear that the suicide hole is impossible this year, something about a wall of mud so far down the line

Old 07-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

As awesome as that AC500I looks, it can not even hang with my SP500 in the mud. While it had more ground clearance, it does not have a locker. As far as I know, no one has come up with a locker for it to date.

Just so you know what I am comparing... I have progressive front springs and 28" Outlaws with no lift. The AC500I had 28" Outlaws and a Highlifter lift Kit.

Greg

Old 07-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

HI GUY'S;
I was just surfing the forums and happened across this thread. Rincon is right...I live in Newfoundland,Canada and while we do have some MUD, the stuff he is talking about can only be described as BOG!!! It is very thick,sort of like a giant dirty wet sponge!!! If you get in and lose momentum you better hope there are a few winches around to get you out!!! Heavy weight is a MASSIVE dissadvantage in this goop. Light weight with wheel spinning power is what works. Tires are also a great advantage. The quest and pol700 would not be in thier best element in this stuff. Ground clearance isn't much of a factor in bog either cause the best approach( in my case anyway is to pin the throttle and skim across the top )...if your lucky!!! My friend has a modded wolverine with Kenda Bear Claws and it will surprise you what it can go across. Good tires on the KAWI p650, and with it's instant spine snapping power...you have the ultimate BOG machine!!! The POL700 might be better in the MUD but BOG is another story. Of note I am not against POLARIS a freind of mine just bought a 500 ho and it's a nice quad. My exposure to the 700 has been terrible...There are 2 that I know of in my area...one is always in the shop( He is constantly missing out on rides ) and the other is owned by the local POL dealers son...he is on his 3RD one!!! That's right 3RD!!! He has blown the engines on the first two!!! It would be unfair to assume all are trouble but in my experience I would stay away. I honstly believe 100% that the KAWI 650 is the best all around big bore made today ( everyone who has sat on mine agrees ) Other bikes may be better at a certain skill...but the KAWi is good at everything and downright Amazing at most things. The on the fly locker is awsome, the brakes are the best made,the engine is a LION,and while it's not IRS it's a smooth ride and SPORTY like hell!!! My bike wheelies, catwalks,jumps,powerslides at speed,4x4's with the best of em and is a quality piece of machinery. This bike was years in the development and it shows. At least 5 or so mags and a book in Can. named it ATV of the year as well as ATV television. The fun factor this bike awards the owner should be illegal... IT's a BLAST!!!

ROB

Old 07-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

if it had a locker, it would give ya a run for your money. have you seen the new lime green AC 500 and 400i? on the AC web site under phot gallery they have some pics (under the 400i) lime green with chrome plated wheels, 10 inches of front suspention travel, and rear, that's awesome, and in '03 it's getting the vinson's motor upgrades (hotter cam, valve timming, piston........) i think it will take the sp500 then, at least stock vs stock. i think 28" EDL vampires are better, how 'bout you???

Old 07-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

hey you know what i'm talkin about. have you ever went in that weekend trip in NFLd?? it costs a lot, guy up the road went, i think you take just your quad across the ferry, and the rally/trip starts there. he said it was all gravel roads though, and he had a crappy tour guide, he was an X army guy, and he wouldn't even help someone in the group when they had a flat tire, what an A hole.

i had a chnce to ride the p650 and i thought it had awesome power, on the road the front tires would come up, although the guy who had it gave it to his wife and bought a sp700, he had a sore back and he liked the ride of the old sp500 he owned. the first rally we went in wasn't too good though on the p650, it came home with ant-freeze running out of the rad at a pretty good pace, but i think i'd still buy one, 8500 for a new 650, that's a steal, although it prob sold by now

Quick Reply: Against Polaris?