Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First test of predator!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally agree,i never bought the dirt wheel mag since i'm an atv sport mag reader (subscribe!).

Old 07-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Range Rover

Have you guys seent the new mag "ATV Rider" by the same publisher as "Dirt Rider"? It looks decent but I couldn't find subscription info. Every other mag I get has those pesky subscription cards falling out but when I want one they don't include it in the magazine!

Old 07-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Folks I ask a dealer about this machine, mainly does it have reverse? I don't guess its a big deal. I'm just wondering why they are making another machine WITHOUT reverse? It's handy to have, doesn't get in the way and, man, do you miss it when you need it. This quad will cost at least 6 or 7 thousand dollars. Why not put the reverse? How much more expensive could it possibly be to put the reverse on the machine? If it's 400-plus pounds, reverse would definitely come in handy!! Anybody wanna council me on this issue? Help me out here, please!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

According to Tom (one of the test riders), the machine will retail for around $6000.

Old 07-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

speaking of Dirt Wheels, I loved the August Performance Quad Shootout where the Cannondale won in about every category but the Z400 won overall. The Z was more forgiving, and the older and less experienced riders felt more comfortable on it. I thought is was a Performance quad shootout?

Can't wait to see the predator!

Old 07-21-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

I have never thought Dirt Wheels was bad. ATV sport is the most biased Yamaha mag out there. If Dirt Wheels craps on the Predator in any way after knowing what I know, I'm canceling my subscription. There will be nothing left to read, but oh well. I hate bias.

Old 07-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Alaska YFM,

Yes some of them were German scientists, but the majority of the scientists along with the project director (J. Robert Oppenheimer) were Americans.

I do take some of what I said back. Dirtwheels and 4WA do have a habit of "sugar coating" a machine in individual tests, then bashing it heavily during a shoot out. Does any one here want to bet that they'll bring up Polaris relability at least once in each article? Any takers? Does anyone here want to bet, when matched up against the current "king" of sport quads (LT-Z 400), that it will lose badly for B.S. reasons (much like the Cannondale)? The guys who write in these "magazines" are nothing if predictable.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

Cant waite to see one in action here on the mx tracks.

This sport is getting biger and better all the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

<< I do take some of what I said back. Dirtwheels and 4WA do have a habit of &quot;sugar coating&quot; a machine in individual tests, then bashing it heavily during a shoot out. Does any one here want to bet that they'll bring up Polaris relability at least once in each article? Any takers? Does anyone here want to bet, when matched up against the current &quot;king&quot; of sport quads (LT-Z 400), that it will lose badly for B.S. reasons (much like the Cannondale)? >>

So you're implying there is no basis for Polaris's being known for breaking down alot? If they ignored this issue it would only allow the manufacturer to continue selling junk. I understand they are getting better but they're still not up to industry standards for reliability. Keeping your machine running is especially important out in the middle of nowhere as it's sometimes a pain in the *** to get you and your machine back to civilization. I know I got real sick of hauling my buddy back to the house whenever his 500 Scrambler broke down out in the sticks.

It's not a matter of American workers either, I don't know where they got their engineers from but they need to hire from another source because that's who screwed Polaris. And whoever decided to put it into production! Hopefully this new Predator is a bad ****, I mean so bad *** that it can't be just wrote off as &quot;another Polaris.&quot;

Old 07-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Blown the carbs off your Raptor lately? Did you replace your weak axle yet? How are the gears holding up? Ooops here I go again...

I also thought that C'dale losing to the Z 400 was nuts. Nothing against the Z, Really nice quad, but the C'dale clearly spanked it in every arena. Hats off to any of the companies venturing into the sport/performance market. I just hope the lawyers don't get involved again and ruin it for another ten years.

Ken

Quick Reply: First test of predator!!!!!