Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drag racing Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to accelerate on these auto quads.If there is good traction I cannot accelerate with any kind of authority because it will wheelie over.I will have to baby it out of the hole a few feet then hit WOT.By that time it is hard to catch a raptor.Any pointers?I am not complaining about the power,just would like to harness it.

98 sport 400L
RCR stage 1
Hpd clutched
Hsp 42 mm flatside
V force delta reed cage
Wiseco piston

Old 07-19-2002, 02:01 PM
CED
Pro Rider

Biggin you might want to try extending your swingarm.Mine is extended 6 1/2" and it still comes up on me.Hope this helps.Later.

Old 07-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

With my scrambler,
I used to have good luck getting way up on the tank, giving it some gas on the line to load the clutches, then when I took off I would only jab the throttle about 3/4 of the way, as soon as the front end started comeing down I'd nail it WOT. You would carry the front end up in the air for a while but it seamed to be about the best way to do it. And seeing the looks on the faces of the bystanders as you go buy them with the front end in the air is realy funny.
It used to **** me off when the magazines would complain that the scrambler was slow comeing out of the hole in a drag race. There testers would just sit there with the engine idleing, then when the race started, would punch the gas. The enging had to come up from the idle, spin the Primary clutch, then grab the belt, then take the slack out of the drive line, then finally start moving. Is that how you drag race a Automatic car tranny? NO

Old 07-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hey biggin, Gearing your machine up will help kill the bottom end and help keep the front end down. Being still a trail machine, I dont know if I would go a whole bunch. If you are 13-36 gearing, you can go up one on the front or down a couple on the rear. It will also help make a MPH or 2 on top end. If you run the aggresive trail profile weights (stock design), you can go to the race weight profile and it will come on a little more in the upper rpm and take some of the low end hit away.Hope this helps,Bubba

Old 07-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

So far from what suggestions you all have posted the extended swing arm sounds the best,abliet expensive.Bubba what you said makes sense,but I don't wanna take its ***** away,just wanna be able to harness them.Off the subject,after i ride mom's bayou 220 The sport seems to be a rocket ship.When ever the need for more speed hits,I just ride the bayou for a while then ride the sport,WOW!later

Old 07-19-2002, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

generally when drag racing first it is better to get a tach to see where the rpm is and clutch will shift,get the engine properly jetted,rev up the engine where JUST it will snap the clutch (if you engage at 4000 rpm for exemple) and when it is time to go:WOT,simply like snowmobile drag racing,but you need to keep you in front to get most of the weight transfer (setting well your rear suspension help) to get max traction.as it has been said earlier an extended swing arm get you out of the hole faster and it seem never long enough,i run 13-30 gearing on mine hpd trail mod scrambler and i'll NEVER go back with a 36 tooth rear sprocket...

Old 07-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

try a 12 tooth frount sprocket and a 34 rear,this will just a little of the low
end out and give you a touch more top end.try not to go more than3/4 throttle
you will just lift the wheels,but go over ,when your wheels start to drop W.O.T.
This is cheeper than a swingarm,by about $300[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Biggin, as long as your motor is making good power, a gear change will only benefit you. I run a 15-34 gearing on my bike, and it actually made a faster 60ft time over my old 14-36 gearing because I could throttle it harder out of the hole without the front end coming up. Mind you this was on asphalt, so the traction was as good as it gets.Also a stock cylinder makes a ton of low end torque.The power will have a tendency to come on at a lower rpm. A good trail port job will get you some more top end power and help to sacrifice a little bit of bottom.Bubba

Old 07-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

hey bubba297,where did you get those 14-15 front sprockets?thanks.

Old 07-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

that all in the clutchs,the engine must be properly jetted BEFORE doing any clutch test,when getting the proper gear ratio (for more bottom or more top end speed as you want)the clutch setup must dialed-in properly,at this time you might snap the throttle, the engine must rev up to his PEAK power rpm and and STAY there the rest of the acceleration til max top end speed,THIS is the fastest your machine can go.

Quick Reply: Drag racing Tips?