Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Who is getting buck fever?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No bow ....just cant get in the mood when it is soooooooo hot....but
Remington Muzzleloader w/B&L Elite 4200 Scope (Some kind of accurate)
Remington 700 300Mag w/B&l Elite 4200 Scope

Old 07-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSE makes a special bow for Scheels Outfitters. Scheels is a lot like Cabelas and started in 1920. They now have about 25 stores in the upper midwest.

The PSE bow is called the Predator and its fast and accurate. I shoot it with carbon arrows and it clocks in over 330 ft/sec.

I have the luxury of hunting in two states with bow and gun since I live on the ND/MN border. On the MN side, I use a Benelli Super Black Eagle since in many areas I can only use slugs. But in certain zones I can use my Browning A-Bolt 7mm Remington Mag. It has a Leupold 3X9 VariXII scope. I have a multi-zone buck tag and I can shoot two extra does in certain areas.

In ND we try to tag our bucks long range. Oh sure I still use my 7mm for walking. But much of the time is sitting in the high plains and using Swarovski 8X42 binoculars to find deer. When we find one we can zero in more with our Nikon 20X60 spotting scopes. Anything within 500 yards is fair game as I shoot a Remington 300 ultra mag with fluted barrel and a Leupold 6X20X40mm VariXIII with mil-dots.

I use the same 300 ultra mag every October out in Idaho elk hunting. I have many good whitetail bucks to my name at only 34 years old. I have one mediocre mulie. I got skunked on elk last year. But the year before I shot a decent 4X4. The year before that was my first year out elk hunting and I got skunked then too. I am optimistic about this year now with experience under my belt.

We practice our long range shooting in the summer with AR-15's with fluted, stainless barrels. We tag prairie dogs in western, ND and SD out to 400 yards with considerable ease. Practice makes perfect. We literally camp near a prairie dog town and shoot and shoot. When the dogs get skiddish we get on the ATV's and find another town.

Old 07-26-2002, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

hey okiedude,the southeast kinda sucks for us who can only dream of LS and places like that to ride.But once our 5 month deer season kicks in all is forgotten until new years.I guess niether of us can have it all.lol

One nasty question;What do you all **** in when you are in the stand.Soda bottles are great but as some of you may know,they are kinda of hard to handle and pee in quietly,especially on those cold eriely silent mornings.

I counted 8 deer in the first field closest to the road last night with 2hrs of light left,won't see that after the first week of deer season.Man the are a relaxing sight to behold.And they KNOW that you cannot touch them.Gotta love that whitetailed deer.Our deer down here are pretty small,but there are alot of them.We have no limit on bucks and up to 7 does per season.After last year I'm taking my BB pistol to get rid of those darn mockingbirds that announce my presence to the entire woods.Around here you can almost always shoot a wild hog if you see no deer,and there is no limit or off season on them,but it is just to darn hot and muggy to sit in the woods for a porker in July.No my blood is all hot and bothered for deer season,let me stop typing before I ramble on forever, and ever,and ever....Later

Old 07-26-2002, 06:03 PM
Range Rover

In my area it sucks you have to draw out for the deer hunt. This year I am not going because they didn't draw my name. I guess I will still go up and stay at my friends cabin and help him pull down the big buck.

Old 07-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

But you can console yourself at the dunes scramblerman,right.

Old 07-26-2002, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Some days I don't know what I like better. Hunting or riding motocross. I'm a bowhunter myself but that doesn't stop me and my Mossberg 500 from goin out late in november and hopin to catch a buck. Bowhunting requires a lot more skill then rifle or gun hunting. I like that.