Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sp500 DUSE or Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 11:29 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wanting a little advice from some of you Polaris owners. Granted, I know you probably prefer Polaris, but I would still like to know which bike you like better and be as objective as you can. I am going to buy a new quad any day now and I just can't decide between the Honda Rubicon or Sportsman 500 HO DUSE. Thanks!

Waco4whlr

Old 07-26-2002, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Have you considered the '03 AC 500, wiht the motor mods it should be a nice machine. I've "heard" two or three different stories of it beating the SP 500 in drags now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

Hey Rob,
I sold my AC500 auto 01' about five months ago. I really liked it, but I haven't heard of anyone who has ridden a new 03'. If the new engine in the cat would beat a sp500 I would definitely look at the cat. I never had a single problem with my cat except with the brakes, had them fixed no problems. As far as reliability, it really was great went everywhere I asked it to. I have gotten a great price on the Polaris and a pretty good price on a Rubi(I think). I can get a 2002 SP500 DUSE out the door for $6600.00. I can get a green Rubi 2002 with a winch and extended warranty out the door for $7000.00. Have you really heard stories about the 03' cat doing so well?

Waco4whlr

Old 07-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, but who knows... It might be worth the wait to find out. How does the ride on the Rubi compare to the AC you had? I know the trick tranny is nice on the Rubi but it doesn't seem like every thing else measures up. And I am not a big Polaris fan but they have gotten better. A friend of mine has used them in his surveying work, and they haven't held up very well, but they do get abused. I wish I could bet him to try an AC I think it would fare much better under the abuse. I knew your sig. was familiar, I guess I forgot you sold the AC or I just missed it on the forum. You mind repeating why the sell, 'cause I'm sure you told on here before.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

I think it all comes down to what you want the Polaris will have the best ride and the Honda has the proven years of reliability. I have a friends who just made this decision him and his dad where looking for new quads to take on this years Piute trail trip.
My dad has a 500 HO and another friend of mine has a 02 Rubicon after letting them ride both all day he bought a Rubicon and his dad bought a Sportsman. It came down to his dad wanting the comfort of the Sportsman and he wanted the track record of Honda. The Rubicon was $6800 out the door and his dad bought the silver limited edition 500 HO for $6100 out the door.
One thing I will say about the Rubicon is on are Moab trip on the extreme rocks both Rubicon’s powered out in some places where the Sportsman’s and the Yamaha that was with are group had no problems with power it seemed that at the very low climb speeds the Rubicon had a problem getting power to the wheels but if you bumped back and floored it then it would go over the obstacle but one problem this caused was flipping. One of the guys ended up flipping his Rubicon over on to him self because of this he was Okay just hid pride got hurt. Also the limited slip front differential on the Rubicon stinks after going over a major obstacle in Moab I would turn around to find the Rubicon stuck spinning three tires and the other tire just sitting there doing nothing so I would backup and hook the rope to him and then wait to hook onto the other Rubicon to pull him through. But again if you are not planning on doing extreme stuff than the limited slip differential won’t matter.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Range Rover

Not trying to change your mind but that Freedom500 Sportsman would be my choice. It looks good and the Sportsman ride cannot be beat. But if you are a hunter it might not work to good.

Ronnie

Old 07-26-2002, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

RobAlford,
I sold my cat because I just wanted a change at the time. I wish I wouldn't have, but the guy who bought it gave me a price I couldn't refuse. It did have 27" gators on it so it looked pretty mean. I always had a little trouble with the brakes, but I hear they have fixed that. As far as reliability, I never had a problem. I'm fixing to pull the string right now, any minute. I would like to pick it up this weekend. I wish someone could convince me that all of those grease zerts on the Polaris are no big deal. The Polaris also doesn't have a gas gauge, seems strange. The Hondas seat is very uncomfortable, like a stone.

Jimbob,
What are you riding? How do you weigh on this deal? I read what your friends did, so if you have been here before what would you do if it were your money?

Old 07-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Whatcha doin with the quad Waco? That is usually the determining factor.

Are you riding tough trails? Going over logs, creeks, rocks, deep mud? If so: Polaris. It has the ground cleanace and the smoothest ride imaginable.

Are you planning on towing large trailers riding in smoother areas, and never want to do anything to it but oil & gas? If so: Honda.

Old 07-26-2002, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

Again, I have to throw the AC in here for the best of both worlds. Even the '02 AC with the IFS. But, definately(sp) the '03 with the "Vinson" updates. I've seen where some dealers have gotten a few of the AC's in... don't know in your area though.

Old 07-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

waco4whlr

I ride a
99 Polaris Sportsman 500
99 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4
Yamaha YZ 250
I am going to sell the Scrambler this fall and buy my wife a 660 Grizzly if the 03 has all the first year problems fixed. I my self am waiting for a 700 HO when that comes out then I am going to sell the Sportsman.

If this was my choice and my money I would buy a Honda Foreman 450 if I was planning to keep my 4 wheeler for 5 to 10 years. {I just don't trust the Rubicon transmission my friend who bought the Rubicon asked the dealer how much it is to fix and the dealer told him $2600 they have to ship the transmission to Honda. Also in Moab one of the guys had a Foreman 450 and did not have the low-end power problem that the Rubicon had although the front Differential is worse on the 450.
If I was keeping this 4 wheeler 5 years or less I would buy the Sportsman the comfort is so much better when you compare them side by side and I personally love the 4 wheel drive system on the Sportsman I just don't like the idea of not having 4 wheel engine braking down hills. My Polaris has never had problems beside small things like tie rods and one starter. Everyone else that I know that owns Polaris has had the same experience just small problems like tie rods but I still don't fully trust Polaris like I do Honda but I think Polaris is getting closer with each model to having Honda quality.

One last thing the 500HO DUSE is one awesome looking 4 wheeler the deal you are getting sound really good I rode one of those last September at the ATV Jamboree and was green with envy.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sp500 DUSE or Rubicon