Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler vs wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am looking for opinions on which atv to get. I am not asking exactly which one is better, for I believe they are all very good or they would not still be on the market. So I am looking at the scrambler 4x4 4 stroke, or the yamaha wolverine. I am 6'4" 240 pounds and mostly ride cornfields,back country roads,some woods. Which one would be a better hill climber? Also if I ride country roads will these atv's overheat or will they be fine. I had a 250x on these roads for hours at atime, but am not sure about 4x4 atv's.
Thanks in advance

Old 08-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

Scrambler!! I made the switch from a Wolverine to a Scrambler about 3 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I ended up getting the 400 2 stroke 4x4 because I couldn't find a good deal on a used 500 4 stroke. But I did test drive a new 500 and a friend of mine ended up buying a 500 that I have ridden a few times. They ride nicer than the Wolverine and they have ALOT more power. I used to go up hill climbs in my Wolverine and it would always bog down near the top, some times I would not even have the power to make it to the top even after downshifting into first gear. With the Scrambler, I now easily shoot up the same hills in 2wd. The only time I really need to use 4wd is in the mud or when woods riding and crossing over downed trees. Also, the auto clutch manual shift tranny is real notchy shifting on the Wolverine and it is a pain to get in and out of reverse. The automatic on the Scrambler works flawlessly - you are always in the right gear and you can concentrate more on riding instead of shifting. Also, shifts into forward and reverse are as simple as moving the lever and they are very smooth. Another thing is that the chain drive rear of the Scrambler gives it a more sporty feel when riding and you can slide the back end out alot easier than the Wolverine. When trying to slide the Wolverine, I would almost always end up getting the opposite rear wheel of the ground. Check the 400 2 stroke out too. With oil injection, they are as easy to gas and go as a 4 stroke. I prefer how they get up to speed and the way they sound over a 4 stroke. And, they are alot cheaper to get more power out of when you decide you want to build it up. If you're anything like me, you will get used to the power and will always want to increase it. But, if high torque is what you want, than the 500 is the way to go. The 500 would probably be a more suitable machine if you wanted to do as much utility work and hunting as you do sport riding. I do more sport riding, so the 400 is perfect for me. I know it sounds like I'm bashing the Wolverine, but for me, it was not good enough. If it had more power and you could take it out of 4x4, I would have kept it. I ended up selling it to my Dad. For him it is perfect because he does not care how fast he is going. He just wants a basic 4x4 to get him down the trails when hunting and for that, it is perfect. Sorry this is so long, but I have experience in this area and do not want to see someone end up unsatisfied like I was a few months ago. You can only be the judge of what machine is best for you. Go out and test drive both machines brand new and see what one you like better. I wish I had test drove the Scrambler before buying the Wolverine.

Old 08-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Also the scrambler is liquid cooled and the wolverine is only oil cooled.

Old 08-05-2002, 02:29 AM
Range Rover

One of the gentleman in my riding group had a Wolverine. I can tell you this much: get the Scrambler. We were doing some pretty fast paced riding on a difficult, winding trail. His poor bike couldn't keep up, and he ended up in the rough one or two times where the Scrambler had no problems due to her sportier handling characteristics. I have the 500, which if you're looking for utility, with the aftermarket hitch and racks installed, will due even more than a Wolvy with its bigger engine and auto tranny. I love my Scrammy.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't agree with the Wolverine not keeping up, rider skill plays a lot in how you keep up.I used to ride with Banshees,250x's,and a 400 Scrambler,they were all surprised how well it kept up,slid around corners,and top speed. I raced the Scrammy,(both 95's) on a gravel road,he got the holeshot, but only kept a 3 bike length on me,couldn't catch him,but he couldn't lose me,either. On another note,later on a rutted,muddy trail, I had to pull the Scrambler out 3 times, the low ground clearance really comes into play if you mud a lot-Wolverine has 8.7 inches,the Scrambler around 6 with that big sprocket hanging down. Don't get me wrong, I liked the power and 2wd ability of the Polaris,but I prefer shifting,and 4 stroke for putting around for yard work and such.

Old 08-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Range Rover

I don't doubt your story one bit -- but look at all your mods dude!

Old 08-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

Hrmm I cant add to much to this post, You all have done well. I can Say I love my scrambler alot and I like the bigger engine 500cc vrs 350cc and I love 2wd to 4wd option. the wolvy is all the time 4wd but I hear it runds in 3wd some too. not sure about the last fact but I have heard its a problem.

Old 08-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buffalosoldier,the drag between my Wolverine and the Scrambler was back in 96,when both were stock,these mods are from this spring.Sorry if I mislead any one.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 97 Wolverine, put an aftermarket exhaust K&N filter and some carb mods that were required with the pipe and new air filter. The bike was a good 2-3 bike lengths faster than stock (raced my friends). We went riding one day in upper-state NY (tug-hill), if you ever rode up there you know that many of the trails are wide and long. Well we got into a race with a 98-Explorer 400, and a 98-SCR500 the length was about a 1/4 mile stretch slightly uphill dirt/ gravel. I lined up to the Explorer 400 and we took off. We were pretty even until about 3rd gear, then the explorer pulled ahead by about 2-3 lengths. Meanwhile my friend on his Wolverine was lining up to the Scr500 and started to race after we took off. Well the Scr500 beat me to the finish. This guy passed me out like I was standing still when I was total full throttle in 5th. After the so-called race we found out that both Explorer and Scr500 had HPD pipes and clutch kits. I agree that my wolverine had more ground clearance, but just could not compare to the speed, handling and suspension. Needless to say I am a proud owner of a 99Scr500 with a HPD pipe and clutch.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

i would go for the scrambler if i were u. im sure you'll find that you could have a lot more fun on the scrambler because it is a sport machine