Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How does EBS work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wonder how the EBS systems works? Is it somthing that wears out eventually? they should be using decompression like yamaha does *(i think)* having commpression will never wear out. well i was just wondering...........

Old 08-06-2002, 11:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it uses a sprag gear, kinda like a bicycle,where you can pedal forward, or hold the pedal still while it freewheels until you induce forwardmotion again.(smae way aratchet works)

or simply a roller that spins one way and not the other.

the cvt belt is grabbed by its sides to produce forward motion on the quad, when it decelrates the clutch sheaves let go off ythe sides of the belt, thus it can just freee whell with nothint to stop it's motion.

well on ebs, a roller contacts the bottom of the belt, and when the engine spins slower than the drive train, the roller tries to turn the oppsite way,but the ratchet mechanism locks it (only spins one way and not the other), thus providing friction on the belt to help decelerate the train, and quad.

as for extra wear..theoretically only the belt, but they are already a "service" item just like a tire is.

but the ebs system can wear the bushings it rides against and get of of "spec" requiring shimming of the roller.Also, belt dust and rust can get trapped in the roller, making it lock in both directions, and thus the quad will "walk" at idle.