Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Minnesota Riding Restrictions??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

For all you Minnesota riders out there, I believe there may be a driver's license ATV endorcement required to ride in the near future!

The Minnesota DNR, rather quitely, has decided that anyone born in 1977 or after needs mandatory training before riding snowmobiles. I believe the former age was 18 and younger. Now it is 25 or younger! There is no grandfathering, you must take the training!

I have heard from a local deputy that the same will be in store for ATVers very soon.

Any thoughts?

Brian Klier
Faribault, MN

Old 08-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

I think that by now everybody with a little common sense, and that aint allot of people in MN, knows that MN is turning into a giant tree hugging, take all of the taxparer rights away type of state so nothing surprises me here anymore. If I were to give up my citizenship I could have or do pretty much anything in MN.

Old 08-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well, once you have your drivers license you dont need a snowmobile certificate, it says right on the back of driver license. And Minnesota sucks, they are a bunch of tree hugging, yuppies that get mad if there is a mark on pavement. I have been getting in a lot of trouble with the law driving my wheeler and my sled. And the stud law pisses me off, we cant have studs even though it is a proven fact that it stops you a whole hell of a lot faster. And the speed limit, I dont know if my sled even goes under 50, unless I am stopped by the cops.

Old 08-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

have you ever seen the wise-*** punk ripping-up the trails on his ATV?
like seeing teens having babies who can't even support themselves?
ever see the snowmobiler flying out-a control trying to act like Blair Morgan and endangering others on the same trail?
will a license eliminate these problems? NO.

BUT, education might help. i'm sure that the classes these a$$holes will be forced to take just MIGHT make them change their BEHAVIOR on the trails.

it's just to bad that the RESPECTFULL operators have to sit through the same class.

whenever i see a Dumb-*** Punk on the trails, i make it a point to track him down, and give him a quick lesson why HE is the reason why ATV riding is on the ENDANGERED LIST!
see-ya,
-MT

Old 08-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Was that pointed to me?
I have taken my snowmobiling & ATV classes, and yes I drive fast on the trail but have yet to cause an accident or even get close to anyone on the trail. Some guys are being hot shots on there sleds and go way to fast for what they can handle, but there are also guys that are just as bad because they drive so slow and dont know sledding rules. Like putting up there fingers to represent how many people are behind them, and like last year in Wisconsin i was blazing a trail and got behind 5 people going slow, so i waited and waited and they all knew that i was behind them and they would not let me pass, they got to a stop sign so i thought that they would finally let me pass, but nope they kept driving so finally i just gunned it and had to go off the trail and hit a jump and practically jumped over one of the guys and finally passed them all. I stopped and ate and filled up with gas and I was about to leave and they finally showed up, they started yelling at me for jumping one of there guys, I under stood why they were made but they dint even care to hear what I had to say about them not letting me pass.
And I act like Morgan, he is a fast and safe driver.
I think that they should have classes for sleds.

Old 08-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you live in Minnesota and don't belong to ATVAM yet. It's the best $15 you'll spend. That cash goes towards letting the environmental extremists know who you are. It's a VERY SMALL price to pay to secure your rights. Do it TODAY!!!!!

Ken

Old 08-08-2002, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer

Just another reason to ride in WI. I go there a lot now because my 13 year old can ride her 250EX there.

MT - Just curious, are you a parent? If so, how old are your children? I have 3 kids. One screw up and two model kids. Am I a good parent or a bad parent?

Old 08-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I ride mostly in wisconsin (sleds and wheelers). I also have been pulled over by cops there but most are really friendly and let me go. So about that 15 dollars thingy tell me more.

Old 08-08-2002, 04:45 AM
Trailblazer

onlyhondas......ur doing well......1and 2...we are 2 for 2 here in maine....2 loosers..and 3 wonderfull great kids...had to say why that is...ride safe..

Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

You take a training class to ride a motorcycle even though the same laws of the road apply to cars. I really do not see a problem of having new riders take a class to learn right from wrong. Some of you already have common sense but how often do you see someone doing something they shouldn't and when you stop them and let them know what they are doing wrong you get the " I didn't know that..." deer in the head light look.

I want to thank you for screwing up the snowmobile trails by using your quad on it. Most of the snowmobile trails go across private property in Minnesota and those land owners give us permission only for the winter / snow covered months. Why don't you also rip around their garden while your at it! There are state snowmobile trails that are dual use in Minnesota so ride those. I am so tired of rerouting snowmobile trails because the private land owner is upset about sleds wandering off the trail. We sure don't need the ATVs to add insult!

BTW, an ATV class would let you know the reasons why you can not ride all the snowmobile trails!

Quick Reply: New Minnesota Riding Restrictions??