Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tie Rod Ends... A Fix On The Way..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000 | 10:00 PM
|
Pro Rider

I got the ones from Motion Industries today... They seem to be quality pieces and I will start retro-fitting them to the Scrambler first..(its easier to get to with the 22 inch tires..) I do have two pictures of the pieces themselves if anybody wants them.. Just ask And I'll send them..
Kagey... I looked at the outers on a 2000 Explorer 250 today... I pulled the rubber boot back a little and there still isn't a grease zerk.. I couldn't pull it back far enough to see if it had a bronze bushing between the steel ball and outer race.. Might work.. All I know is that the inners and outers on my Magnum 500 are loose.. and for $8.40 each.. I will be glad to make the necessary changes to install these.. I don't remember what I paid for the last set I bought from Polaris.. But i'm pretty sure it was over $8.40... At this point, I would pay $20 each as long as it works!!!...lololol

Old 03-22-2000 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Here in the great white north (Canada) the local Polaris dealer charges $43+7% tax for the newer style heim joint tie rod end. Robbery! The old ball joint is $36. My local bearing supplier carries heim joints at a cost of $14 each which of course more reasonable. Hopefully I can get over to store this weekend to check the quality. Unfortunately he only carries 1/2" X 1/2" so I will have to drill the arm out.

Old 03-22-2000 | 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Robert but I cant take all the credit. We should thank seacow also for tyalking about this a few weeks back. Thats what made me realize that a solution was at hand. Anyway, kep us posted on your results, list part numbers if you can. Were you able to get 3/8 eyelets?

Old 03-22-2000 | 10:52 PM
|
Pro Rider

Dave....
I sent ya a pic of the ones I am going to use.. They are also of the 1/2 persuasion.. Instead of drilling it out.. consider making (or having made) a bushing to reduce the ID to 3/8" for the thru bolts...
Pfelect and I were discussing the advantages of using stainless bolts and/or hardened washers.. So thats something else to consider... It will take some parts digging to get the desired finish.. but once its done.. it will be nice...
Ronnie.. he said he showed a listing.. but wasn't able to get the 3/8 eyelet Heim Joints.. so I ende up with what you have. ( I think)... Check you part numbers against these and see if we are using the same parts...
One is the Right handed threaded ones.. the other is for the left hand threaded ones...
pt.# 34488 and pt.# 34518
I have decided since I am going to change the outers.. I will also do the inners (advantages of a solid steering system and grease fittings on both ends..)

Old 03-23-2000 | 06:49 AM
Trailblazer

mudmachine, I'm in need of tie-rod ends also, I've been keeping an eye on you guys' posts. Would you send me the pics also? Man I hope these will last!

Thanks, EADS

Old 03-23-2000 | 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Hey mud would like some pics of those glad someone has the headstart on this email is:
sca00121@mail.wvnet.edu

Old 03-23-2000 | 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Robert,
My part number(outer only) is 34176. Did you get the ones that had a teflon seal? If so ,thats probably the difference.

Old 03-24-2000 | 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

Have you checked into using a shoulder style bolt, one that has a 1/2" shank and 3/8" threads on the end. Motion industries is a good place to start, Monday I will check at the local fastner dealer.

Thank for all the research into this.

Old 03-24-2000 | 11:22 PM
|
Pro Rider

Griz...
Thats one of the things I want to check on.. I am trying to use only stock stuff to do this if at all possible.. that way, anybody can just order the parts and get theirs fixed too....

Old 03-25-2000 | 10:13 AM
try
Trailblazer

Hey Mud, great post very informative. Like every other polaris, I have the typical tie rod problem. Accept times four. So if you could send me the pictures and part numbers and manufacturer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Jim Been there, wrecked that!!!!
4-400 scranblers

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends... A Fix On The Way..