Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tie Rod Ends... A Fix On The Way..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2000 | 12:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok.. I was gonna post this in the other Tie Rod Section... but it got closed down.. So here goes..
I have just got thru oredering an assortment of female Rod Ends..(Heim Joints) that are teflon lined.. I have a deal with the place i'm ordering them from to be able to send back what I don't end up using...
The hope is that I can re-use the tie rods themselves, and just replace the ends... We are also buying a digital camera sometime soon.. so as soon as I get something to work.. I will take some pics and come up with some part numbers and phone numbers....
Both my Scrambler and my Magnum are just sloppy loose.. I am NOT paying for another set to have fail in 3 months... there has to be something better...!!!...
Please, no argueing WYGRIZZ... no product slams.. We are just trying to get a persistent problem solved..

Old 03-19-2000 | 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at the joints on the new 2000 models? They are Hiem type joints , looks like a good piece. Maybe this will be the fix for the loose rod ends.

Old 03-19-2000 | 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Aren't these the same type of joint used on the "interior" ends of the tie-rods that connect to the steering stem on the '99 models? If so, I have one that's bad so they might not be much better.

Old 03-19-2000 | 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I for one would be very interested in your findings. I intend doing something similar, I am contacting one or two of my local bearing suppliers to se what they have. If I find anything worth mentioning I will post it here.

Old 03-19-2000 | 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ok lets hear gang three cheers for Mudmachine
hip hip...polaris hip hip....polaris hip hip...polaris glad you are looking at this matter mud my atv fortunately is under warranty with an understanding dealer and I do I think have the newer tie rod ends the ones where you can peel the rubber back and fill it with grease but seriously glad you are thinking about this problem every bike has some kind of shortcoming and I can live with the tie rod and brake problem but it would be nice to find a solution. The solution on the brakes is to order the EBS ones when the new ones wear out...if you lived close I would be glad to come over and take some pics with my digi...

Old 03-20-2000 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Guys
I have heard a lot about this tie rod end problem but I really dont know what the problem is. I have noticed that I can wiggle mine real easy. I checked the ones on a brand new Polaris at the dealer and it was about the same so I just forgot about it. How do you know if your tie rod ends are bad?
Andy G

Old 03-20-2000 | 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

mudmachine,
I replaced my tie rod ends last week with heim joints. The maintenance foreman helped me locate them through our bearing supplier(Motion Industries). The outer ends are 1/2-20 left hand thread, inner right hand. I only replaced the outer ends. I had one of our machinist make me a bushing(3/8"id-1/2"od) so I wouldnt have to drill out my strut housing. When I bolted them up I used a 3/8" nut as a spacer between the heim joint and the strut housing, and a locknut with Loctite to make sure it dont back off. I rode about 5 hours yesterday with no problems. You dont realize how sloppy your steering was until you replace those tie rod ends, man what a difference!

Oh, and just in case, when you start putting pieces together, bottom out each end, inner and outer, so that when you start adjusting your toe you dont run out of adjustment.

Old 03-20-2000 | 06:47 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ronnie...
Thanks for the information... I will make a point to call Motion Industries tomorrow and see what I can talk them out of.. If I can get theirs, it will help me a bunch..(I won't have to drill out these for the grease fitting as I had anticipated) Although, like I said, I will remove the grease fitting after greasing and install an allen head plug in it to prevent crap being slung my the tires from breaking them off..

Old 03-21-2000 | 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Robert, Ive sent you some more info. Let me know if Motion will sell to you direct. If so, we can share the part numbers with everybody.

Old 03-21-2000 | 09:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok... I got the ordered ones in today... They seem to be nice, quality parts.. Downside.. No grease fittings and kinda expensive... I can fix the grease fitting thing by drilling out the end of it, and installing my own fitting... But the cost is almost wrong.
On the good side... Ronnie (Pflect) told me about a distributor for manufacturing companies that has what I'm looking for.. So I called them and they have the same part that I was looking for. WITH the grease fitting, and come to find out they are $8.40 each.. YES.. LESS THAN $9.00 each... I am going to pick them up tomorrow afternoon.. If they are of equal or better quality.. these first ones are headed back thru the mail... The guy from the parts house is going to attempt to get the ones with the 3/8" eyelet.. if not.. he will have to get the 1/2" eyelets and I will have to use a "bushing" to reduce it to 3/8".. not a big deal if the design proves itself and at the cost of these parts..
The Digital camera has already been bought.. so as soon as I get something together .. i will get some pictures taken.. Thanks goes to Ronnie (Pflect) for giving me the "heads up" on Motion Industries... This "problem" WILL get solved...

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends... A Fix On The Way..