Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why such hatred against Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I liked my 98 Xplorer and I like my 02 SP500 so far-- the whole week so far that I have had it. Was a blast last weekend. The only prob I had with the Xplorer (that was not my fault) was a headlight wire coming loose and a burned out pod headlight. After careful research and consideration I went with another Polaris.

Old 08-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i look at it like this, i own a Jeep also , it has 200,000 miles on it and is powered by a chevy 350. Does it breakdown more than a honda? probably. does it take more to maintain than a Honda? of course. can it drag three hondas sideways the length of a football field in a foot of mud? yep. can it beat a honda in a dragrace? maybe- depends on the model. Would i trade it for a honda or any other piece of japscrap?-hell no! I feel the same about my Polaris as i do my Jeep, thats how i see it.

Old 08-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

This is funny, I'm reading excuses like "get heavilly abused, no wimpy rev limiter in 4X4, or worse yet, 3X4, and such compared to the competition in an atemp to limit the abuse" and have to laugh. Stop making excuses for faulty equipment! I have rode Polaris machines and loved them, but they ALWAYS break something. Not once or twice but REPEATEDLY!! The Scrambler 500 would be my favorite machine right now if not for how crappy they are after riding one for about 6 months. Several friends of mine bought them and I was convinced that was the machine to have, until they started shucking starters, chains, belts and having A arms just fall off for no good reason. I'm really hoping this Predator is as good as it's being talked up to be, cause I'll own one if it goes a year without typical Polaris reliability issues.

There is a reason for the Polaris bashing, although much of it is overboard. I would never say I hate Polaris machines because they are very nice and fun to ride until they start breaking parts and leaving you stranded in BFE walking miles back to the house.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have had nothing but good things to say about Polaris. Maybe this isn't a fair anology to say my 4 monthd old Explorer has had nothing wrong, but how bout my buddies 92 Trail boss ?? The only thing he has had to do was put new tires on it since the old ones wore out. He changed his tranny fluid and adjusted the chain. Pretty maintenance free if you ask me.

Natt

Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

We've purchased 5 Polaris in the last year. To make a statement that they WILL tear up, is absolutely asinine. I've had yet to have something go wrong on any of mine. I did get rid of my 400X, only because the two stroke wasn't for my son and I. But NO problems. I maintain them properly, change the oil, grease em, wash em. In return, we get machines that are perfect for us. We like the automatic. Not having to shift does not make this a crappy machine, or even make me a wuss. We like the floorboards. I have never felt like I was going to tear my leg off, if it came off the peg. I don't have to wear special boots to protect my legs. We like the 4x4, the reverse, the great ride, and all the other things that drew me to Polaris in the first place.

One more thing. I like it that it is an AMERICAN machine. I can't help it if some of the components are foreign, they are manufactured in America, by American workers, by an AMERICAN company. I wouldn't consider buying a Japanese machine. I don't see the need to support their economy any more than I have to. So, for ME, that is important. I agree with the earlier post, hopefully it will become important to others soon. It does matter.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

400x, maybe you guys don't ride as hard as my buddies do, or the terrain around here is just that much rougher on our machines? I don't know what the difference may be, but the Polaris market around here has just about died out. Older farmers are about the only people you see with them now, they'll buy a new 700 4x4 to putt around on the farm with and they seem to work great for that.
I sure hope the Predator changes the scenary though, it would be great to have something new on the trails!

Old 08-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

You all know that polaris will never be as good as hondu because its a hondu.

Old 08-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Well, I've never been to Iowa, but I don't picture it to be rougher than the mountains of Tennessee. I've put close to a thousand miles in the last year ripping up and down Windrock. Very rocky, steep, muddy, anything you could ever ask for. I do very little jumping on my machine. But I ride it pretty hard. I did have to change one tie rod end. The bushing was wore out, a testament to the rough riding there. I do maintain it properly. But other than that, I just ride. Maybe I'm just one of those fortunate ones. But you'd think that if Polaris was so junky, I would have had problems with one of the FIVE we've owned. I will stand by my Polaris. I'd also recommend them to someone who wants to ride, but doesn't need to do triple jumps, or doesn't feel the need to blow every other machine away. For some of us, a great ride, along with plenty of power for the way we like to ride, is more than enough.

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-16-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is to the person who said that his friends a-arms fell off for no reason.So what are you saying they where just sitting there and the a-arms fell off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]So your sying they didnt jump them over and over again or anything like that,the a-arms just fell off?

Old 08-16-2002, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

<< For some of us, a great ride, along with plenty of power for the way we like to ride, is more than enough. >>

Couldn't have said it better myself

I love my polaris, I stand by it, it isn't the fastest thing on 4 wheels, but I enjoy the comfy ride it provides..I do a lot of trailing and I keep up with my Brother and Father *Raptor and a 426wr* You can only go so fast on a rough trail..

Quick Reply: Why such hatred against Polaris?