Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why such hatred against Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks.

I'm really new to the whole ATV scene, but am looking to get me a new Scrammy 500 sometime soon, since it looks like it will fit my needs exactly.

I've done TONS of reading on all the various forums on the internet, and you can't help but notice that there is a general hatred towards Polaris. It's not just a "little" bit of dislike, but flagrant hatred.

Where does all this come from? It seems guys who have never even owned one feel a need to publicly express their dislike of Polaris.

Luckily, I'm intelligent enough to make my own decisions for what is best for me, but it does leave me wondering in bewilderment the source of such dislike.

I can't even fathom why folks who don't even own them put in such a tremendous effort to publicly state their dislike.

This is even worse than the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford tradition of slagging the brand you don't own.

Cheers guys,

FH

Old 08-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

A few different thing going on there.
(1) Somehow it became COOL to bash Polaris, and that accounts for most of the sheep "following the pac, no brain of there own"
(2) Polaris 4X4 utilites get heavilly abused, no wimpy rev limiter in 4X4, or worse yet, 3X4, and such compared to the competition in an atemp to limit the abuse. They get beat up using the free winches they used to give away. 9 times out of ten when you see a quad (any make) getting pulled its a Polaris doing the pulling. Generally used as the WORK HORSES of the pac. This causes the occasional break down.
(3) pre-2000 or so, Polaris did have a slightly higher amount of problems then the Jap bikes.
(4) The mags have been bashing Polaris for ever, see reason (1) and add it to this.

I've owned ridden on or with about all makes and Models, in my experience Polaris gets a bad rep for no founded reason.

Old 08-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

they hates us cauze WE'RE so pretty uniques and differents...

Old 08-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Ill admit that polaris gets a lot of non diserved bashing but dont give me the 9 out of 10 times its the polaris pulling crap.

My experiance with polaris is not a good one. Everyone of there util atvs make a strange noise after you do any serious amount of driving on them, I also have been in one of there 6x6 rangers and on the first day of ownership the brakes failed.

Polaris gets there reputation from using crapy quality parts and very poor quality control.

Yes all brands have there problem but Polaris and Yamaha are having all the big problems like overheating and crap.

If your gonna use your own brain and make your own desisions your just fooling your self. You have know way of knowing which is the best bike by looking at it in a showroom. Listening to the people on sites like this is the best way to know what your getting. Polaris has the worst rep and thats why there getting bashed on so many sites not becasue its cool to bash polaris thats total crap.

Polaris has great designs but if they steped up the quality they would be a top contender. Im not bashing just speaking the obvouis.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

I'm glad you included Yahama in your post Mar...
Get this..My brother's raptor's valves are SINKING into the head! What kind of royal crap is that!??

When I got my new TB, I rode it for about 1 year and I had to redo the cylinder cause the base gasket had a rip in it when they put it together..and you know what, it didn't bother me at all cause I love my bike, it is fun and does what I need it to do..isn't that all that matters? Fixing the bike up is the nature of the beast when riding, EVERY SINGLE BIKE out there will have some problems sooner or later, I would buy a Polaris again after my problem with the gasket, IT HAPPENS..so get over it people and enjoy the outdoors.

Old 08-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I would never consider the info. you get on a forum the "BEST". Except for the occasional lucky tech. info, its just about useless. More Ego combat sessions and brand racism then anything else.
A forum is nothing more then a bunch of people that know how to type, talking to each other. A post from a 10 YO kid that has never seen a quad in his life looks exactly like a usefull post. There is at least as much wrong and useless info as good info in here.
The only truely usefull info comes from friends and family that have been into the sport for a long time, and a Tech. manual. Anything other then that take with a grain of salt, and yes that also applies to this post. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Sisyphus2k2,

I've been looking for some info and I think you're just the person to answer this question. See the thread "Trailblazer mods?" or just answer here, if you would. How noticable a performance increase did you get from the RCR Stage 1 kit? Just bought a TB and would like to cure the hesitation if I can. Have you done a clutch kit, or know anyone who has?

Unfortunately I have no idea why people beat on Polaris so hard. I'm sure it's been said before but, no one model, no one maufacturer does eveything perfect or right. They all have their shortcomings and problems, some perhaps a bit more than others but not so you could factually conclude Polaris, or any other, is so dramtically sub-standard. And this is generally true of all products. I'm not sure it's fair to say

<< Listening to the people on sites like this is the best way to know what your getting. >>

as there will be a certain amout of bias and inaccuracy. These forums are a good source of information, as are the trade pub's and word of mouth. But even the trade pub's will have some bias, mostly based on advertising dollars spent. All you can do is try to sort out what's valuable info from the maniacle rambling, and that shouldn't be too hard. Just watch for things like attitude, ranting and raving, rude and insulting language. These people are usually not too genuine or informative. At least that's been my experience.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

Its American made a lot of people believe that if it is not made by Japanese then it sucks. I agree that 2000 and on is when Polaris really started building Quality ATV's and I would say that now it is really close in Japanese quality. When you read these Forums long enough you learn who to ignore and who to listen too. I wish American would take more pride in American made stuff and start buying American made stuff before Japan, China, Korea, and any other country we owe a ton of money to Owns us.

Old 08-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own 2 1996s and they are a maintenance nitemare but ......they are awsome machines.A person has to like to mess with them and keep them up.A grease gun is a must and a service manual.But the true 4x4 is worth all the work.

Old 08-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

in general,
ATV Connection's Forum is Anti-Polaris. i'm sure there is a website out there that has all the polaris fans on the forum....but i haven't found it yet...

'Polaris Sucks!' and another locked thread not to long ago, are just two examples of how the Moderators let things go too far. one reason why is our Moderators dislike Polaris products too!

SOMEONE find the Pro Polaris Forum and let us know.....i know many will follow.

sincerely,
MTPOCKETS

Quick Reply: Why such hatred against Polaris?