Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snake Bite!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever been snake bitten while out riding? You guys up north don't have a lot to worry about. Do you?

I few weeks ago some friends and I were riding when I saw what I thought was a stick lying in the road. It turned out to be about a 4 ft copperhead!!

Was wondering if anyone has had a close experience with the fanged-ones.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

I ve ran into a few timber rattlers while out riding havent been bitten by one. The only snake I have been bitten by was a little garder snake.

Old 08-20-2002, 04:44 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

Hello Syclone,

I'm originally from Anniston, is it near you? We live in Michigan now, but we have been riding just a few miles from Oak Ridge, TN. Snakes aren't something we've ever had to worry about, but down there we do. We saw a 3-4 foot rattelsnake laying across the trail. It looked like it was dead, but it was in the middle of the trail so it had to be moved. I'd always thought they would just scoot out of the way. Any ways, we tossed some gravel his way. After the fourth or fifth toss, he reared up and started rattling. We found a long stick, and without hurting him, managed to get him to move off the trail. The guys we ride with down there have an obsession with killing them. I didn't really understand that until that day. I'm not sure if you could make it off that mountain alive if you got bit.

If you are looking for a great place to ride, give Coal Creek a try. We're going down Labor Day for our sixth time since April.

Scott

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

no snakes but I found a baby fox, pretty damn cute if you ask me. had to move it along...

Old 08-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you found a 4' copperhead, I would have called the Game Warden. Here in Oklahoma they are thick, but a 4 footer would be a state record or even a world record. Copperheads are known for their small size but they are pretty aggresive.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

Here in eastern washington there are a lot of rattle snakes, I have been lucky enough to only run into these when I am fishing, not on the quad.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I was riding a creek bank last summer about medium pace (1/2 throttle , 4th gear ), as I entered a shallow (2-3 in ) mudd puddle, a cottonmouth came out of the other side. I think he was as scared of me as I was of him!! He went towards the woods and well I stood on the seat (both feet). My friends thought it was absolutely hilarious, I on the other hand didnt feel the same way!

400x,

ROLL TIDE??????

Come on now!!! GO BULLDOGS!!

just a little friendly SEC flamin! (no harm intended)
( I know how those bama fans get! )

Old 08-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

A few garden snakes in the garden in front of my house. Scared me to death :-P jk...

Old 08-20-2002, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Red 913 ,
what is the "thing" you described....in Minnesota?????????/
People from north are lucky in this case..but we have a cold weather for a looooong time.

Old 08-21-2002, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

400x,
I live close to the Fort Payne area. Where is Coal Creek? My friends and I have been looking for some new places to ride without having to travel a thousand miles! Everywhere around here either has No Trespassing signs or bars and cables across the trail/road!
Have you ever been to a place called Skyline (management area)? It is close to Scottsboro Alabama.

Razormazer,
I haven’t seen any cottonmouths in a few years.
Are the Bulldog’s going to take it all this time? Alabama can’t because of NCAA probation, again! I like the Bulldogs but I am with 400x, ROLLLLL!!! TIDDEEEEE!!! (No harm intended here either.) Good luck to the Bulldogs though.

Okiedude,
Not kidding. This thing almost stretched all the way across the 4-wheeler trail (big snake).
Back in the spring (April or May) my dad killed one that was 4’ or longer as he was walking to his barn, with a hoe!

This time of the year (little rain), you can travel up any river around here and see all kinds hanging from the trees, swimming across the water, lying on the bank or even trying to get into the boat with you (after that it is time to go home)!

Later guys.

Quick Reply: Snake Bite!!!