Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snake Bite!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 12:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one of us northerners...dontcha know. Twice I've come off jumps in da woods, only to see a jumbo (P.O.'d)porcupine in the middle of the trail. Another wildlife encounter was mid-air looking down at two Bambi's who were sh#%in and gettin.
Any gator encouters from you folks in the south? Black panthers?

Ken....yea, I'll put up with the mosquitos and 30 below, dontcha know.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

I watched a guy try to peal out on a watter mocassin once he was going to show off and try to kill it. the tire threw it up onto his back and what followed was the funniest thing I ever saw, I think the snake was to scared to even think about biting him but he un-seated that quad in record tim and was hooping and hollering and running it was dang funny.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Just moved to the country, my old city dog never seen a snake before, now he has and knows to stay away. One got him on the nose so he (the dog) latched onto the snake gave it a few shakes and let it go, bad move the snake got him again. I killed the snake and loaded the dog onto my ATV and hauling %#* back to the house via a short cut on city streets and you guessed it, a city cop pulled me over. I explained what happened, he said park your ATV grab the keys and the dog and get in the car NOW!! He drove us to the vet, the doctor told me the cop saved my dogs life. Two days and $700.00 later he came home from the vet. I guess we still have a few good cops that care.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

I have seen several deer, turkey (over 30 at one time), quail, snakes of all kinds, skunks, wild hogs, squirrels, rabbits, and a few bobcats all while riding. Oh yea, never seen one on 4-wheeler but have seen a gator in this area (were a small river runs in to a lake).
I guess the worst thing I have ever seen, when I was a kid (13-14) riding, wasn’t any kind of animal, bird or reptile but was: This mad old lady that was running down the steps of her front porch shaking a broom at us (6) for riding across her freshly watered lawn!! NOT KIDDING!! She was highly pissed!!

Daimon1054,
If I were that guy, I would have done the same thing except I would’ve probably had to clean out my shorts!

Later

Old 08-21-2002, 03:37 PM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!

<< 400x,
I live close to the Fort Payne area. Where is Coal Creek? My friends and I have been looking for some new places to ride without having to travel a thousand miles! Everywhere around here either has No Trespassing signs or bars and cables across the trail/road!
Have you ever been to a place called Skyline (management area)? It is close to Scottsboro Alabama.

Razormazer,
I haven?t seen any cottonmouths in a few years.
Are the Bulldog?s going to take it all this time? Alabama can?t because of NCAA probation, again! I like the Bulldogs but I am with 400x, ROLLLLL!!! TIDDEEEEE!!! (No harm intended here either.) Good luck to the Bulldogs though.

Okiedude,
Not kidding. This thing almost stretched all the way across the 4-wheeler trail (big snake).
Back in the spring (April or May) my dad killed one that was 4? or longer as he was walking to his barn, with a hoe!

This time of the year (little rain), you can travel up any river around here and see all kinds hanging from the trees, swimming across the water, lying on the bank or even trying to get into the boat with you (after that it is time to go home)!

Later guys.
>>

Hello Syclone,

I've been through Ft. Payne a million times. Been to Alabama's fan club. Usuually just passing through on the way to Anniston though. I did a search on yahoo. It says it's about 170 miles to Coal Creek. Trust me, it is VERY MUCH worth the drive. It's 530 miles for me each way, and I'm gearing up for trip number 6. The place is called Windrock, and is owned by Coal Creek Mining. You will hear it called both. It is 72,000 acres, but is surrounded by alot of other land that can be ridden on. Supposedly, it's almost 500,000 acres total. You can get on the trail off the parking lot, and ride to Virginia, so I'm told. Windrock atv club has mapped some of the place. There are 22 marked trails, 6 gravel roads marked, and a bunch of unmarked ones. I've ridden all the marked ones a few times, and I've ridden quite a few unmarked ones too. Twice, we have gone on 10 hour rides up to Caryville. They cut the top of the mountain off there. You can ride up to the top and see forever. The first ride like that was 85 miles, the second 70. Great rides, but we were beat when we got back. All except my son, who rode another 2 hours.

If you've never ridden in the mountains, it is awesome. I like the challenge that some of the more difficult trails offer. But there are lot of them that are not too hard. I've ridden over thirty days there, and I still find new ones each time. You will have to get used to the rocks. It is pretty rocky there, but I don't mind it myself. Here in Michigan we got the whoops, or humps, or humpbacks whatever you want to call them. Give me the rocks anyday. You will enjoy the ride there, I guarantee it. Buy a yearly pass for 50 bucks. Get a map too. There are places to get them. If you are real interested let me know. I'll give you more detail. I'm going to be there next Thursday, I'm getting excited just thinkin about it.

Scott

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!drown them bulldogs!!